Has anyone upgraded their youger child to and adult for dining?

NicD

Earning My Ears
What is involved when you do this? I have an 8 and 12 yo and I have read that the children menu choices are limited. If I made him an adult will my theme park ticket prices be the one to increase also for my package we are going during the "free dining" period.

Not sure on the theme park thing...I wouldn't think it would affect them, since you don't have to link your theme park ticket to your room key (where your dining plan would be on).

Though I would call Disney first to find out about upgrading him to an adult, you may be responsible to pay the difference between the child and adult plans, which is pretty significant. I think it's a difference of like $35 a day more for the adult plan...but I am not sure!

You absolutely CAN do this. You would have to pay for an adult ticket for him.

Actually, yes you will have to upgrade their park ticket as well. They are either an adult or a child for the entire package. I suppose, you could save the 2-day ticket they'd need to get (to be part of free dining) and use it for yourself (or another adult) on a subsequent trip and then buy a separate child's ticket that is not linked to the package.

Actually, yes you will have to upgrade their park ticket as well. They are either an adult or a child for the entire package. I suppose, you could save the 2-day ticket they'd need to get (to be part of free dining) and use it for yourself (or another adult) on a subsequent trip and then buy a separate child's ticket that is not linked to the package.

But this probably cheaper to just pay the price difference on the ticket.

I did this for our son who is 7. We are going in a couple weeks and we have free dining. I just called and a CM upgraded him to an adult ticket. the difference in cost was right around $25 for our 5 days. I thought it was worth it to give my son more options.

Gonna hijack.. what about if you have free dining.. my 2nd oldest detests kids like meals.. he will be 9.5 when we go.. can I bump him up to a 10 year old so he's an adult.. better food..no food price change and just a slight park pass change?

Gonna hijack.. what about if you have free dining.. my 2nd oldest detests kids like meals.. he will be 9.5 when we go.. can I bump him up to a 10 year old so he's an adult.. better food..no food price change and just a slight park pass change?

Yep. No problem.

Ahh! That makes sense...just upgrade his ticket for a few bucks and he can eat as an adult...not bad!! Good to know for myself in the future with my daughter!

Me thinks I will be calling them tomorrow..he does have a birthday coming up... guess i forgot when I made my ressies...lol he he

Me thinks I will be calling them tomorrow..he does have a birthday coming up... guess i forgot when I made my ressies...lol he he

No reason to lie. Just tell the CM what you'd like to do - based on posts here, it happens fairly frequently.

oh even better.. I'd rather NOT lie.. but I also rather not have a miserable kid "forced" to eat food he hates 1-2 meals a day times 10 days..

Nicole,

In order to get your 8 year old adult dining I will have to change her age to 10 on the reservation and she would also need to purchase an adult ticket.

Let me know if you want to do this and I will make that change when I get the new quote out to you as well.

***THis is what the travel agent said and it still left me confused especially after what I am hearing here.***

Nicole,

In order to get your 8 year old adult dining I will have to change her age to 10 on the reservation and she would also need to purchase an adult ticket.

Let me know if you want to do this and I will make that change when I get the new quote out to you as well.

***THis is what the travel agent said and it still left me confused especially after what I am hearing here.***

What the travel agent is saying (and what the previous posters said) is correct :)

What it means is that for your 8 year old to get adult credits for dining, you just have to buy her an adult ticket for the theme parks (might cost you an additional $20-25 for the whole trip). Then, since she is considered an adult, she will get the adult free dining credits, so she can eat regular menu choices for free. :)

So all you have to do is upgrade her to an adult theme park ticket, and the rest will fall into place. Hope this helps!

You can't get an adult dining plan unless you are at least 10 years old. If your child is younger, you must register the child on the reservation as being 10 years old, or they will automatically get the child dining plan. If you register the child as 10, you also must purchase an adult park ticket on a package including tickets. For free dining, you would pay only the difference between the adult and child park tickets. Nothing odd about what the travel agent said, that's exactly how they do it.

On the same topic... if I upgrade my 9 1/2 year old, would she still be able to order off the kids menu when she preferred it?
Thanks!

I did this when my middle son was 9 (it was not during free dining however). Anyway, I told the CM what I wanted to do and it was no problem. They just added a year to his age, I paid for the adult ticket and the adult dining plan...no problem whatsoever.

The following year when I booked our trip, he was actually 10 and I told the CM what I had done the year before and she changed his birth year to the correct year in the computer. So, don't let people tell you that his age will forever be wrong in the WDW computer system ;) it was easy to fix the following year.

I was told by both CM's that people do this all the time, especially with 8-9 year olds.

FYI: I just tried to do this. I was quoted $145 to upgrade. Apparently, since the free dining offer expired yesterday, they are making it difficult to change.

Rats! Missed it by one day! Guess I don't have to worry about whether she can order off the childs menu anymore... she'll have to! :headache:

I missed it too..but my mother said when we are at sit downs she will order what my 9 year old wants and they can switch meals.. if he runs into issues.. most of the time we will do buffets anyway,..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!