Has anyone gotten wheelchair assistance from DME to their gate?

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by Simba's Mom, Aug 11, 2018 at 5:02 PM.

1. Simba's Mom

Simba's Mom <font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha

If so, how did you request it? Did you call the airline? Or did you request it at the resort's remote check-in? I'm flying Southwest and they were super about taking me from the gate to DME when I arrived. However, DH met me at WDW and we drove home. I have no problem navigating the stairs on the bus, and I can walk about 50 feet. However, I need wheelchair assistance to the gate. I really don't want to try to get myself all the way to Southwest's check in counter at the airport-trust me, it wouldn't end well!

2. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

Once. It took quite a while. The airline was aware - but of course DME drops you nowhere near arrivals. The CMs that are at the drop off point were either confused3 or not particularly helpful.

I'd call DME.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Simba's Mom

Simba's Mom <font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha

I tried that, but the CM I spoke to had no idea, said I'd have to call the airline.

5. Selket

Selket Been there - done that

I think the airline is the one that you call to get assistance. I had a similar issue but ended up just needing to pick up a wheelchair since one of us was able to push the wheelchair with a family member in it. My guess is someone in the DME area may have to let your airline know you've arrived and where to pick you up with the wheelchair. I'd check with the airline to make the "reservation" through them and hopefully they can help you more.

mamabunny likes this.
  6. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

Yeah, the issue is that there are no porters anywhere near where DME drops you off.

7. mamabunny

mamabunny DIS Veteran

I have never had this issue, primarily because I own my own personal mobility device, but also because I always have a "travel buddy" who is more than willing to go to WDW with me... My family seems to think I will get too lonely at Disney World! (someday, I'm gonna pull a Rapunzel, and escape without them! LOL)

Has anyone tried calling their airline, and specifically telling them that you will need assistance from the DME "terminal"? (I think it's technically referred to as a terminal at MCO?) I wonder if you have to let the airline know that you are arriving at MCO at DME, and not at ticketing/check-in.