Has anyone gotten a Fla. drivers licence?

crusnprincesses

Co-founder of the Yummy Mummys
I am going (hopefully) to be living in Florida for a while. Has anyone (perhaps snowbirds?) had experience getting a Fla. drivers licence? What docs do you need, etc. I will have an address while I am there(residence, not hotel). Any help would be appreciated.

I've never had anything but a BC licence. But try this site: it's the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles - should tell you what documents you need to get a licence there!

Good luck!

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/

an address and proof I paid bills there....ie:utility bills etc...and of course personal I.D such as a passport etc..

Now, having said that...friends of ours got their drivers licence's this past December using just passports. Although one set of parents live there 6 months of the year...they were not interested in using that address even though one day it will be theirs! It wasn't needed it seemed.

I had one when I lived there and they wanted to confiscate my Ontario one in exchange. But I told them I was only there for a year and would need my Ontario one when I got back so I got to keep it.

I'm somehow not that surprised about the confiscating thing... in Canada you're not supposed to hold two licences from different provinces, I know people from BC who have had to give up their BC licence in order to get one from Sask or somewhere else...

My cousin had to give up his after he moved to Winnipeg so now he only has the one from out there not from Ontario anymore. I personally would tell them I have not gotten one from another province etc and just go do the tests then you could carry 2 but hey that is just me.

I was not asked to give up my Ontario licence. I understood that to be only when you want the Florida licence to be your only licence and good throughout all states. My Florida licence is good only in the state of Florida.

It was also the same for our friends in December. No mention made of relinquishing their Canadian licence at all....but their's also is only valid in the state of Florida.

It is different however if you are from another U.S state. The you will be asked to relinquish that other licence. Make sense?

Perhaps they have changed their policy for internationals now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter