Has anyone gone to or taken someone wheel chair bound to disney? advice??

Dmom&dad

Earning My Ears
We are taking the plunge and bringing our 13 year old son with CP to DL in June. He is wheel chair bound and can not do anything for himself. I have seen the website and read all the handicap stuff. Im wondering if anyone that has really taken a wheel chair bound person to DL can give me some real insite as to how it went?

I know people mean well and have all this information for you officially....but I know its really different than "normal" people understand to live it.

my son loves his Disney movies, which is why we decided to do this trip! I would like to figure out the best way for him to get the most out it!

Thanks in advance!
Heidi

I always wind up in a chair in DL but I'm able to transfer myself as it's the walking and standing that I can't handle. I can tell you that when you go to wherever you go (so disneyland it's usually the exits, but the queues in DCA are big enough for chairs) someone there will ask if you need assistance transferring. They have always been very kind and helpful.

Trying to think of anything that might make it easier for you, but really DL has it down to a pretty good system. I wouldn't worry!

The year we went to DL my father needed a wheel chair bc he was due to have a hip replacement the following month and he could not really walk any distance without severe pain. @EmmersIsTheMommy said it perfectly- Everyone at DL was amazing. It was easy to navigate the parks and most rides either had a separate wheel chair entrance or gave you a pass with a time to return via the exit. They did ask if he'd need help transferring onto the ride, but he was able to stand and do it himself. Overall we felt DL in a wheel chair was totally doable. He had a regular, not electric, and I was pushing him most of the time.
When we were at WDW in Dec, we were behind a girl in line who was not able to transfer herself and she was alone. The cast members helped her in and out of the ride and seemed very helpful towards her.

The year we went to DL my father needed a wheel chair bc he was due to have a hip replacement the following month and he could not really walk any distance without severe pain. @EmmersIsTheMommy said it perfectly- Everyone at DL was amazing. It was easy to navigate the parks and most rides either had a separate wheel chair entrance or gave you a pass with a time to return via the exit. They did ask if he'd need help transferring onto the ride, but he was able to stand and do it himself. Overall we felt DL in a wheel chair was totally doable. He had a regular, not electric, and I was pushing him most of the time.
When we were at WDW in Dec, we were behind a girl in line who was not able to transfer herself and she was alone. The cast members helped her in and out of the ride and seemed very helpful towards her.

The last time I went they hadn't been doing the passes yet. It sounds like it's even better now!

The last time I went they hadn't been doing the passes yet. It sounds like it's even better now!

We were there in 2015. They did the return pass for Splash Mtn and a few others (I forget right now). A lot of the DL rides had you go to the exit.

Good to know. Thank you! Do you remember if Space Mountain has it? I do recall Space was a HORRIFICALLY long wait for the handicapped queue. Way longer than the regular line. :(

There's no hard rule for which rides issue HA return time or when. If the HA line is long or a lot passes are out, you'll get one. There is no way to know other than going to the ride.

A friend took her daughter (adult, seriously mentally disabled and wheelchair bound) to DLR. She said that using the restrooms in First Aid (either park) was a huge help for her. The nurses couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. Also, they were wonderful about allowing her daughter to rest quietly when she got overwhelmed by the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter