Has anyone experienced this after a cancellation?

mevelandry

DIS Veteran
Hi! Due to all the complications related to COVID, the day before our PIF, my friends and I decided to cancel our cruise.

When I called, I was told that they would not give us our money back… but they would send us separate certificates at the name of each guest on the booking, representing the value of our payments ($$$). They would only refund the taxes.

Alright... I was a bit disappointed but I had no other choice.

And then, this morning, in a shocking twist, I noticed that they actually refunded most of the moneys we had put on the cruise (they sent it by chunks, I’m still missing the tax refund and the refund for stuff we bought for the cruise like a bottle of wine, water and wifi)!

I’m confused. I guess that means we won’t get certificates?

Has anyone else ever experienced that?

UPDATE 09/24: I have called again to inquire about the money I have not received (I'm at Day 35 as we are speaking. The lady spoke with insists that the money received is just what we have paid in excursions/restaurants, etc but honestly, it doesn't match and we haven't spent that much on extras.

She says I will receive certificates and a refund for taxes.

To be continued...

Last edited:
Was your booking refundable or non-refundable?
Did you pay anything ontop of your deposit?

Generally if non-refundable and you cancel before final payment date, then the deposit would go to FCC. Anything extra would be returned. I have heard of some who cancelled non-refundable due to covid vaccine situation and were able to get a refund.

Generally if non-refundable and you cancel before final payment date, then the deposit would go to FCC. Anything extra would be returned. I have heard of some who cancelled non-refundable due to covid vaccine situation and were able to get a refund.

It was (already) paid in full. I believe the deposit was non-refundable.

What is weird is that they told me I wouldn’t get a refund… And then a few days later, we received our money back.

Did you get 100% refund? Or just the amount minus deposit? I would expect former with the deposit as FCC but bonus if you got all as refund.

We have final payment coming up in September and need to decide what to do. Typicality we book refundable but we did book non-refundable for this one as it was a $700 difference between refundable cost and non-refundable. Would love to get back our deposit as refund if we cancel (have a cruise in March but cost is less so we would still lose money)

It was (already) paid in full. I believe the deposit was non-refundable.

What is weird is that they told me I wouldn’t get a refund… And then a few days later, we received our money back.

If you cancelled before you reached your pay in full date, then you should receive a full refund. If you booked with the non-refundable deposit, then you would receive a FCC in the amount of the deposit under the Cruise with Confidence program. It's possible that the Royal agent you spoke with saw you were paid in full and assumed that you were already past your paid in full date.

If you cancelled before you reached your pay in full date, then you should receive a full refund. If you booked with the non-refundable deposit, then you would receive a FCC in the amount of the deposit under the Cruise with Confidence program. It's possible that the Royal agent you spoke with saw you were paid in full and assumed that you were already past your paid in full date.

She knew my paid in full date was the next day. I guess she made a mistake.

It’s great to hear that you got a refund. We canceled after PIF due to changes in cruise requirements and are eligible for full refund according to Royal. They said 45 days maximum. I am at 50 days in nothing. I called the other day because the ship has now sailed and they said “oh you’re not on the ship?” Lol no. She eventually found the cancel notes from July 17th, but they never canceled and are just holding onto money. Hopefully we get our refund soon. This would have been our first Royal Cruise and between the no refund yet and different information from every phone rep on everything plus the fact that our friends decided to go on this sailing and multiple experiences on the ship were closed that weren’t disclosed I think we will be Disney or bust cruise customers forever.

While I was checking for cruises, the section where it says View Cancellation policy, this is what it shows:

From this, it looks like if I can cancel before Nov 23rd (30 days prior), I can get a full refund.

I noticed this was different for cruises after Dec 31st. So I believe, at this point, that they are giving a special cancellation policy for cruises this year.

If I'm reading this incorrectly, please let me know.

Note that the above shows non-refundable deposit....which means you can cancel but deposit goes to FCC (unless you cancel due to covid protocols as I've heard of those getting full refund in those cases).

Note that the above shows non-refundable deposit....which means you can cancel but deposit goes to FCC (unless you cancel due to covid protocols as I've heard of those getting full refund in those cases).

Thank you. I completely misread that.

I'm having trouble finding the refundable option. Is it on the booking page or further through the booking process?

Thank you. I completely misread that.

I'm having trouble finding the refundable option. Is it on the booking page or further through the booking process?
You need to fill in the info about the passengers. Then you will get the refundable check box. It's on the same screen where you can select dining time and to add gratuities.

I had to cancel another booking (that was for 2022) and the person I spoke with told me that since the deposit was non-refundable, I was going to lose all my money (210$ CAD). I cancelled regardless because I had booked a better cruise with another cruise line.

Update for anyone canceling Royal Cruise. They did refund my full cruise fare since we canceled due to the released covid rules and regulations. It took 59 days.

New update: Still nothing so I have called back yesterday.

Been on the line for 2 hours only to be told by them that (unlike what the previous agent told me), they had all already refunded all my money by chunks … However, they can’t tell me what the chunks they have sent back represent therefore I have no way to compare with my numbers.

(My numbers don’t match theirs but I decided to let this go.)

They told me I could reuse my former gift certificate and apply it on my current cruise…

… and that I would receive the gift certificates of the other members of my party 30 to 45 business days after we cancelled.

I hung up with them, only to see my gift certificate declined (with a message saying it had already been used) … and after counting, noticed we are already at 46 business days after cancellation.

I am NOT happy with them right now.

Last edited:
They way they refund the money in chunks like that is incredibly annoying and extremely hard to track. Normally, it wouldn't bother me but they have proven time and time again they refund the wrong amounts, often times in the wrong manner if they ever refund it at all so they make you track it but then make it as complicated as possible.

On more than once occasion they refunded me my fill amount AND gave me an OBC (+ 25%) for the same cancellation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter