Has anyone ever worked on a film set?

AlohaNow

DIS Veteran
As the title implies, has anyone here ever been employed as crew on a film? If so, how did you get the gig? It’s all in who you know, right? It's something I've always been interested in doing, I'm just living in the wrong place at the moment. I have no interest in acting. I've worked with actors before and they are nuts. Super fun and really interesting - but a little nuts!

As the title implies, has anyone here ever been employed as crew on a film? If so, how did you get the gig? It’s all in who you know, right? It's something I've always been interested in doing, I'm just living in the wrong place at the moment. I have no interest in acting. I've worked with actors before and they are nuts. Super fun and really interesting - but a little nuts!
Your state might have an office that works with film crews. I'd start there.

if something is filming locally to where you live then there are generally job announcements for the fill in staff needed. z nation films by us and they have regular blurbs on the news looking for extras, as far as the non acting jobs those i'm familiar with working on it contacted the production company to get information about local openings.

What type of work do you want to do? I've got friends who are key grips, best boy, lighting directors etc and also PA's. I worked in television for many years as well (camera, editing, live productions, studio work).

Yep. It's not as glamorous as it seems. You start as a PA (possibly for many years, depending on the type of set) and work your way up. Staff Me Up is a job website for unscripted shows that film all over the US and are looking to staff.

No, it's really not about who you know. Many states now offer incentives for production of movies/TV shows to take place in their area and various producion companies have setup local shops. Also gives more variety to the settings. As mentioned above, check to see if any production companies work near where you live and apply there for the specific types of work you are interested in. Often, they will run ads looking for extras for the set of specific productions. Someone I work with has a son & daughter who applied and made a few dollars as extras. They enjoyed it and got a taste of what it is really like.

Many states now offer incentives for production of movies/TV shows to take place in their area and various producion companies have setup local shops

yup, for the last few years if you asked someone what they saw on their drive into town the common response was 'same old, same old-cows and zombies'.

I've never done anything, but I was on set when my daughter filmed a cable television show. Very interesting. I found it fascinating.

Most states have state film boards. Not a bad place to start. Look for message boards for film people in your area.

Yes, I worked for several years, as did my husband. Started as an extra, then moved into the Art Department and then worked as an Assistant Director. We both found it to be a very tough world to work in, which is why we both ended up changing careers. The hours are insanely long, you'll work with some very tough, sometimes abusive people and work is never a guarantee. We were putting in so many hours that we rarely saw family. I remember leaving early in the morning when it was dark out and coming home very late at night when it was dark again. I also didn't like the inequality when it came to how pampered the actors were, while extras were treated like garbage. That said, I still know some people who work in the industry who do enjoy it. I think it just takes the right person. Initially it seems so enticing, it's something not that many people get to experience and in the beginning was very exciting but as time went on, it really lost it's appeal for me.

A good friend is a script supervisor for a network show. That is their steady gig. When on breaks they actively sell themsleves for other projects. Ex on facebook “ hey off next 4 weeks who has something going on thing”. Did a motion picture overseas recently. A netflix thing here and there. It’s all networking. Started as an intern from an east coast ivy school. Smart person.

Yes. I was an extra. All but my shoes and lower leg ended up on the cutting room floor.

Practically same here. I was an extra on a few Nickelodeon TV shows and one movie ("Matinee" with John Goodman) in the early 90's at Universal Studios Florida

Thanks for the responses! I am aware that it is not glamorous work. If it’s freezing outside, then you are freezing too. If it’s raining outside, then you are getting wet too. Plus, feature film schedules are intense, to say the least! I know I would need to start off as a PA and wonder if anyone ever even does that after a certain age as a second career. I believe it is for the young! I have no technical experience that could be applied to the film industry, just ‘assisting’ experience, so PA is where I know I would need to begin. Maybe I could do some side work in retirement if I lived in an area where the industry is more active. It’s just something I’ve always been interested in experiencing. Thanks again to everyone who responded!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter