Has anyone ever paid to have someone unpack you in a move?

No, never. However, I do hired movers who packed up our house. And I must admit it was the best decision we've made. There were three expomovers guys, who packed everything carefully. They very quick, however, the whole process took us about half of a day. I can't imagine how long it would have taken if we had gone all by ourselves. The unpacking process was terrible. We lived with all that stuff in boxes for a month and even more. So I'm sure now that it's worth paying for unpacking as well.

Last edited:
this sound like something i would want to pay for, but the thought of not knowing where my things are would drive me crazy. I'm the kind of person that needs to unpack everything (no matter how short the stay) before i can relax. How do these types of services mitigate for this type of hesitation? is there an organization system they use whereby they keep track of where they packed it and subsequently unpack it?

Moving companies will label every box/piece of furniture and any standalone items that will be shown on a numbered inventory sheet. If using a reputable company and they go from packing your old home directly to the new location, we never found it necessary to do an extensive 'inventory' at the new location. None of the companies we have ever worked it generate a list of where they put things in the new location.

Boxes of seasonal/seldom used items (for example) might remain boxed and in the basement until months after the move.

We just moved last year, so the moving experience is fresh in my psyche. Except for the large items, we packed and unpacked ourselves.

The biggest downside of having someone else unpack, I think, would be that someone else would put everything away--I assume that they would because if not, no way would I even consider this--and it'd take forever to figure out where anything was.

It's bad enough that I still don't know where a lot of stuff is and we unpacked ourselves!

We moved last year and packed ourselves. Movers moved the furniture. I will never pack myself again. It was a nightmare.

However, I don't think I'd have someone else unpack for me. I'd like to know where everything is.

When we've had professional moves, unpacking was included but we always denied. Like most said, I would want to know where stuff is. But in the OP's situation I think the price is very good. I'd probably pay for it. These ladies are also organizers, not just random movers. They may have ideas for stuff you would have never thought of. Plus they should take away all the boxes and packing material and that in itself is a total pain to dispose of. I'd try it. Worst thing is you have to move around some stuff.

I paid a friend of a friend to do it alongside me. The timing was bad, and I was all alone with little kids, and I needed help. It was an immense help, probably more than doubled my speed because I could make a decision, plates here, bowls here, glasses there, and then she just did it. Working together to do it was great. My mom probably would have helped me, but she was having some health issues, and she's not nearly as fun because she has her own opinions, hehe.

I always post moving boxes and stuff on the free section of Craigslist, and there's always someone who wants them. I just leave it all on the curb at the time agreed.

Last edited:
Next time I move I will have the movers pack up most things and move them. However, I will unpack them at my destination. Packing was a nightmare and my right hip is still yelling at me. I want to pack up my every day dishes, clothes, and linen closet items. The rest they can pack.

Paying for a moving service was one of the best birthday gifts my dad has ever given me. It went so much quicker.

I had packed everything. Three guys arrived at 8 in the morning, two of them walking back and forth with boxes and furniture. The third guy stayed in the van and was brilliant, like he was playing Tetris, packing everything as tight as he could.

The new house was over an hour away. When we got there, they took everything out of the van and delivered all the boxes to the rooms on the labels.

At 1pm we were having coffee in my new living room. As we could only watch while the guys moved all my stuff, we were relaxed and had the energy to start unpacking immediately.

It was so efficient and relaxed. Money well spent.

But in the end... if you dislike unpacking and you have the money to have someone else do it for you... go for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter