Has anyone ever asked to have their child's braces taken off early?

Had my braces taken off for the wedding and put back on a week later! I even had a retainer with 2 teeth on it to fill the spaces that I had! (I was born without 2 of my upper teeth and it took a long time to correct it!)

My question for the OP is more about scheduling. If the orthodontist is still actively treating changing wires, rubber bands, etc, but is too busy to see you in 4 weeks, can't you make appts a few ahead at a time? I'm thinking of myself with the OB lately. I knew I would need a ton of appts and wanted the times that worked with my schedule so I made 2 ahead and then each time I went and 'used up' one of my appts I made another one. That way I was always ahead of myself! Sure, things can change and need rescheduling, but better to have a date and time to reschedule than no date and time at all!

I'd see about getting the upper brackets taken off for the photo shoot. There may be a charge, though. Remember that the human body is dynamic and unpredictable and the orthodontist doesn't have a crystal ball to tell you when the teeth will shift. It's just a best guess sort of thing. If you are paying for it, why not let them finish out the whole job.

Oh, and please let me add that home dentistry - including but not limited to removing orthodontic brackets - is rarely a good idea. Maybe Tom Hanks in Castaway, but no other time that I can think of!

My sister had her braces taken off after four years. They kept telling her, "just three more weeks" and she got tired of waiting. She never wore her retainer and her teeth still look good many years later. However, that does not mean this woud be the case with everyone. If you do decide to remove them, the retainer would probably keep the teeth from shifting. Maybe my sister was just lucky....not sure. Good luck with whatever your decision is.

Allie322 said:
Braces not only straighten teeth but they also correct bites. So sometimes even though the teeth themselves are straight, maybe the bite isn't completely corrected yet. Could this be what's happening with your son? I don't know what effect taking them off early would have if there was a bite issue. Good luck with whatever you decide.

We are having this problem with my dd. Her bite just does NOT want to move. Her braces were supposed to come off in June, no dice.
The ortho has changed that darn wire on the bottoms and pulled them so tight to get her bite to move.

Find out what the trouble is....Frankly every six weeks does not sound right as far as treatment goes.

I am 16 and I have had my braces on for a year now and i was suppose to where them for 2, and my sister is getting married soon and I am the maid of honor. So i asked my ortho if i could get them off for her wedding and he said he would think about it and if i tried hard and wore my bands I could get them off. Well now I get them off in 2 weeks right before the wedding. So i say yes ask to have them off earlier because you might actually get them offf

I had braces as an adult that I had taken off early - after 5 years. My bite was 3 mm off, and still is. Oh well - I figure that's something I can live with. As long as nobody dives in and measures my bite. ;)

Orthodontists are perfectionists. Perfection is very rarely able to be achieved.

No way! Dd14 has had them on for 3 years, they're all paid for, and she's begging! Nope, I trust the orthodontist. I know kids who have gone to the same one, who got them off in under a year. He's not making any money on dd, so I assume he has them on her for a reason. I'm not flushing $6300 down the toilet.

My guess is that since this thread is from nearly 5 years ago that those braces are long gone.

WOW :scared1: I'm shocked at how long a lot of you have had them on for.

My DD(14) gets them on in a week and the orthodontist said a year and a half at most!

WOW :scared1: I'm shocked at how long a lot of you have had them on for.

My DD(14) gets them on in a week and the orthodontist said a year and a half at most!

Wait and see...they all say that!! I had him take my dd15 braces off. She could not wear the rubber bands.So it became pointless to keep them on any longer.

Have rubber bands been worn as directed, etc? ?

Wait and see...they all say that!! I had him take my dd15 braces off. She could not wear the rubber bands.So it became pointless to keep them on any longer.

What are these rubber bands people keep mentioning?? My daughter has had braces for over 2 years now and there was never any mention of any rubber bands or anything she needed to wear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter