Has anyone been in early December?

Kim2430

Earning My Ears
Each previous time we've went to Disney it's been too hot so next time we're going in early December.
Can anyone tell me what to expect weather wise? Am I going to have to bring along jackets for the evenings?
The crowds should be better, right?

We are also staying on site and have decided to go with Port Orleans-mainly because of the boat to downtown disney. Do you have a preference on French Quarter or Riverside?
We'll also have my DH's parents along-who will be staying in their own room-but that will give us only one vehicle. Dh and I will probably be taking the buses for transporation. We have a little one so we'll also be bringing a stroller. How hard is it to get on the buses with a stroller?

Any more tips?

Each previous time we've went to Disney it's been too hot so next time we're going in early December.
Can anyone tell me what to expect weather wise? Am I going to have to bring along jackets for the evenings? It can be down right cold.. We were there this past December an the high for the day was 50 and the low was 30.

The crowds should be better, right? The crowds on the first weekof December is usually pretty good; just don't get to close to Christmas week. ;)

We have a little one so we'll also be bringing a stroller. How hard is it to get on the buses with a stroller? Umbrella strollers are a breeze... Bigger ones can sometimes be a bit more difficult; no worries though.

Any more tips? Have fun and enjoy!

:woohoo:

Hi,

Winter weather in Orlando is completely unpredictable. You could have warm days (80s) with cool mornings, or you could have mornings near freezing with afternoons in the 40s or 50s. Or you could have a little of both, or something in between.

My advice is to pack a little of everything!

We are going the last value week in December of this year. We picked it becasue of the prices, the crowds, Christmas, and the weather. The prices go up at the resports the day we leave (the 17th). I'm definately going to pack a bit of everything! Also we will be at POFQ, for the boat to Downtown Disney as well! I'd much rather deal with cold than hot!
Jessica

The 1st year we went in early December it was in the 80's the whole week! The 2nd year it was in the 50's (got down to 40's at night) except for 1 day! Last year I do believe it even snowed a little!!
We do pack a bit of everything! Nice to have but dislike those darn bag fees!
As far as POR, we've only stayed in Riverside. In general just had a lot of problems there.
Jen

While it varies from year to year, I was there last year from the 10th through the 15th. The first day it was cold (it was damp and around 50) and the rest of the days were in the mid-80s. Even the evenings were warm. We did the MVMCP in t-shirts and shorts!

Can anyone tell me what to expect weather wise? Am I going to have to bring along jackets for the evenings?
The crowds should be better, right?

We went LY the 12th to the 20th - we ranged from mid 80's to low 60's for daytime temps - so all over the board. I packed a little of everything! Shorts, jeans, tees, and hoodies - layering was key. It only rained one day of the week - our seaworld day - but it was still fairly warm so I was comfortable in a pair of capris and tee under my rain poncho.

We are also staying on site and have decided to go with Port Orleans-mainly because of the boat to downtown disney. Do you have a preference on French Quarter or Riverside?

I loved loved loved the french quarter! I loved the theming/atmoshere and the boat to DTD was fab! I think we were at DTD at least 4 times out of our 8 days.

We'll also have my DH's parents along-who will be staying in their own room-but that will give us only one vehicle. Dh and I will probably be taking the buses for transporation. We have a little one so we'll also be bringing a stroller. How hard is it to get on the buses with a stroller?

I can't help you here - the 14 yo with us didn't use a stroller :rotfl2: Seriously though, I saw many people with strollers on the buses - you just need to be prepared to fold it up and be ready to go when the bus arrives.

Any more tips?

You will love going in early Dec - the world all decorated for the holidays is magical! Don't miss the Osborne lights!
:santa: :santa: :santa:

We went a three years ago the beginning of December. It was one of our favorite trips. We had sunshine everyday and one day got warm enough that we went to a water park. But we did hear that it could be really cold weather so took a bit of everything. Only wore pants during the evenings. We did wear winter coats every night, I even bought some Mickey gloves. But is it one of the most beautiful times to visit. The parks and resorts are all decorated for Christmas and the Osbourne lights are amazing. The crowds were almost non-existant. Hardly any waits. You will love this time of year.

Dh and I are hoping to go at this time also. Can't wait! We've been many times but never at Christmas time. Outside God and my family these are my two favorite things. :):)

In 2009, we went first week in December.

We were a bit chilly in the mornings and late at night. But during the day, it was perfect for shorts and t-shirts.

Crowd size was wonderful. Minimal wait times, but enough people to make it feel festive. Only time we experienced heavy crowd, was at Osborne Lights--which I understand is always the case.

As for resort choice, I have stayed at both POR and POFQ. Both are very nice--enjoyed them both for different reasons. However, I found that the boats to Downtown Disney (in my experience) did not arrive 15-20 minutes apart--more like 30-35 minutes. When you combine the wait for the boat, along with the extremely slow ride--we could have gotten to DTD much quicker by bus.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

December is a great time to go to Disney, but bring clothes for all kinds of weather. Do not trust the weather forecast, not even the day before your trip when you have looked at multiple sources. In 2008, the weather forcast the day before we went said it would be in the low 70s all week. They missed by 10 degrees. It was low 70s our first day and then they had a heat wave and it was low 80s all week. It was short sleeved shirt and shorts weather, even at night. We had only brought jeans because we figured it would be in the low 70s for a couple hours in the warm part of the day, but cool in the mornings and night, and we were burning up the whole trip. Last December we were better prepared. Wwe brought clothes for any kind of weather and we were glad we did. The first part of the week it was in the 80s and we were wearing shorts. By the end of the week, it was cold (and wet) and we were in fleece jackets (with ponchos over them). You never know what you are going to get!

I went last year the 6th thru the 10th and am going this year the 6th thru the 12th just plan and pack for everything it was chilly most days last year but the day we left it hit 80 which was slightly unfair ;) it just meant we had to carry a back pack around so we would have our sweatshirts and what not at any point in the day since we dont generally go back to the hotel (it was me and my BFF)

the osborn lights do get rather crowded but they are definately a not to be missed

ive only ever stayed at the river side so i cant say anything about the FQ and that also was several years ago before they merged the hotels

Early December is a wonderful time to visit. But, keep an eye on the dates for POP Warner activities, as the value and moderate resorts tend to book quickly when they are on-site. And, the DVC resorts are pretty busy then as the points are lower at that time. So my thought is to book as soon as you can to avoid disappointment.

The weather is quite changeable and unpredictable; you may need to pack for a couple of contingencies. But evenings are normally chilly!

POFQ and POR are both great resorts -- POR is much larger if resort size matters to you.

We've been in early December for the past 20+ years. You can expect great weather and bad weather - possibly in the same weekend. We have pictures from one trip where we are in shorts/t-shirts on one day and our winter coats a couple of days later.

The key is to pack layers so that some combination of clothes will be appropriate for whatever mother nature throws at you. Watch the Orlando weather starting a few weeks before your trip to get an idea of what conditions you'll see, but don't stress about it - the weather forecasters aren't any more accurate about Disney weather than they are about your own home town.

I would honestly bring a variety of clothing. We were there in early December ten years ago and we SWELTERED! I didn't bring any shorts because I hadn't anticipated it being that warm.

Whatever you do, bring a variety.

We are going the last value week in December of this year.

That's when we went last year - it was SUPER:cool1: Shorts t-shirts and sweatshirt in the morning, shorts and t-shirt all day, jeans and t-shirt some with sweatshirt at night. The kids went swimming every day. I personally don't like to swim if it's not really hot out. The water was warm but the air was cool when they came out. Not that they cared:rolleyes:

Crowds were very reasonable except for the Saturday/Sunday when they were pretty heavy. If you are there on a weekend, get an early start.

Have fun! I wish I was going this year too!:love:

Looks like you got good answers about the weather and the srtoller.

Other tips:

2010 will be the 7th December trip for me. I have gone in the first 10 days 5 times, and the last two the week before Christmas (school schedule dictates our time now that the kids are in high school and the classes are more demanding). There's nothing like Disney in December. Get tickets for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. We go every year. You need to do this at least once. The reason I love Disney at Christmas is mostly because of the Candlelight Processional at EPCOT. This is a MUST. And the best way to do it is to reserve a Dinner Package. In the past it is done 90 days out. Some rumors have that changing to 120 or 180, so I'm checking every once in awhile. Can't miss the Processional. The Osborne lights at the Studio. Another wonderful event. And then Downtown Disney is a nice place to walk around, and it's free. Christmas at Disney is the BEST.

dh and i went in early december of 2009, and loved it, although it was very warm most of the trip ( high 80's). but the humidity was much better than summer that's for sure. have a great trip

Early December is probably the best time I've only been there during the summer months June and July

We went last year the first week in December. I only packed sweatshirts (no jackets) and DD got very cold at night. Our last day we had to buy a towel to wrap around her because she was so cold.

Do pay attention for the POP Warner dates though. We were there at the same time. The buses were overly crowded with football players and cheerleaders. We listened to several CHEERING sessions on the bus. This is not fun after a full day in the park, standing on a crowded bus holding a sleeping 3 year old. It got old quick! Plus, they hogged up all the seats. Notice I said..........standing on the bus holding a sleeping child.

We stayed at POFQ last year. It is a wonderful resort, small in size, so everything is conveniently located. Plus, you aren't on the bus to the parks longer than 10 minutes. Request bldg. 4. facing the parking lot. It's a standard room that is a few steps from the bus stop. Another thing is that you share the buses with POR. They almost always pick up at POFQ first. POR has 3 or 4 stops. By the time the bus gets to the 2nd or 3rd stop the bus is packed.

In 2008 we took a full size peg perego stoller and last year we took the umbrella stoller. Go with the umbrella stroller. Our $300 peg perego stoller got beat up on the airplane and nothing happend to the umbrella stroller! Go figure!

Good luck with your planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter