Harry Potter's biggest fans plan a Disney trip and hope the timing is RIGHT!!

tttessa

DIS Veteran
Hiya all......

Well we have done it - gone and decided we are going to Florida again -from the UK - so no small undertaking.

As the title says - we are BIG Harry Potter fans - and are hoping that the new attraction at "the Dark Side" will be open whilst we are out there - hence not going until October.... fingers are crossed ALL round. Hope you die hard Disneyholics will forgive our little diversion - we are coming a long way after all......:flower3:.

Anyhow - our party consists of
ME!! Tessa - girl on a diet (constantly!!) Girl - who am I kidding - 45 years old!!!
DH - long suffering hubby (my toyboy at 40!!) who LUCKILY loves to let me plan it all....
DD7 - my hunny bunny - has a crush on one Ron Weasley!!! How.... yeughhhh... she is NOT allowed to have those feelings yet!
DD8 (9 next week) my snuggle bug who just KNOWS everything - that age...:rolleyes: I remember it well ..... sorry Mum!!

History:
We have been before - once pre kids as a couple, stayed in a cheap hotel on I-drive - NEVER again. Once with kids - April last year - after spring break - in a villa off the 27 - Woodridge/Silver Creek - unallocated till arrival - it was FABULOUS - a fantastic holiday AFTER we got there - snow in UK delayed departure..

Our outline plans...
Going out to Florida on the 15th October 2010 for 2 weeks, flying from Gatwick to Orlando MCO , hire car, staying in a villa with a pool (unallocated till arrival.... shudder.....but it is the way the tour operators do it I'm afraid...) at Emerald Island, so not tooooooo far from the magic.

Last time was ok, but wanted to be closer for driving. We have booked with Virgin Holidays - so it is costing an arm and a leg, but they did such a great job last time what with the weather delays etc, we thought they deserved our custom!!

We have done the usual Brit thing of buying tickets to cover the Disney parks and the Universal Parks in advance so we can go to either set any day we want - with hopping and water parks etc...

We plan to book (soon ) one night in a Universal resort hotel in order to gain front of the line (FOTL) access for 2 days- like fastpass for pretty much every ride. Will give us a little hotel break in the middle of the trip too.. and we won't have to drive up and down those busy roads to Universal so much.

Eating - we plan on cooking some days, but also, need my Perkins fix for breakfast!!! and we do love eating out near the 192 - so much variety, and cholesterol!! But the diet goes to heck on holidays..... can't fit in enough holidays for my liking......:rolleyes1

That will do for now, need to sign up for TGM, need to plan what we will be visiting this time, do we do ADRs this time? how will we get to the airport this end? will we stay overnight in an airport hotel before travel?? Who will have the guinea pigs when we are away? Lots of thinking to do - the great thing about a pre trippie is it gets you focussed!!

It is LESS THAN A YEAR TO GO so I am starting to get twitchy.:yay::yay:

Am watching the Harry Potter sites like a hawk - it had BETTER be open!!:rolleyes:

Tessa

Sounds fun! We've only been to US once and weren't really big fans...but like you, all of us enjoy Harry Potter so we'll definitely be going back when it opens! I was hoping it'd be open in April (since they said spring 2010) but I don't think that'll be happening. :sad2:

WOW - have seen the adverts start to appear on UK TV for the HARRY Potter stuff - still says Spring 2010, so here's hoping.

We have now :

- booked our seats on the plane Row 34 middle 4, 36 middle 4 on way home.
- signed up for TGM and joined our October group over there.

and the biggy -filled in our ESTA forms online and have approval, and have printed it out too.

Oh, and have one of those apps in the Vista sidebar with a daily countdown in it - today it says 257 days to go - way, way too far away....

Tessa

Hi Tessa! I am here and will be following along. 2 days and counting for us now. :banana: We have never been to Universal and are also waiting for Harry Potter to open before we go there. Can't wait to see the feedback everyone gives on it after it opens. I love Disney World in October when everything is decorated for Halloween. Will you go to a Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party? Those are so much fun!

Lisa.....who needs to do laundry and finish packing!

Lisa,

pack woman, pack....... nice to see you here...

We will be trying a MNSSHP when we go, we did a pirates and princess party last time which was such fun, so here's hoping for more of that!

Tessa

Tessa,

If you liked the Pirate and Princess Party then you will definitely like MNSSHP. It was so much fun. We did a P&P party a couple of years back and really enjoyed it....even tho it rained the entire night we were there! It was so much fun to dress up and to see the costume ideas that everyone had for MNSSHP. Lots of adults were dressed up as well as the kids. It was also nice to be able to trick-or-treat again!! We got loads of candy and our trick-or-treat bags were a nice little souvenir.

I am just now finishing up with the suitcases so we will be ready to go tomorrow! Can't wait to hear more of your plans for your trip. I see you need a Perkins fix! We don't have one close to us anymore as they closed. I did enjoy eating there when they were open though. Ok, off to pack up phone chargers, cords and the like.

Have a great day!
Lisa.....who will be on her way to Florida tomorrow! :banana:

Wow time is going by fast. I can't believe you are so close now. I can't wait to see the Villa you chose take lots of pictures.

Hiya all,

well, still a while to go - not going til October...

Have now,

booked the Guinea pigs their "holiday" at a lovely place in the country - lots of fresh green grass - they won't want to come home!!!

booked a night at the Hilton hotel in Gatwick for the night before we leave - using our Tesco tokens (supermarket loyalty scheme) means we are staying for 1/3 the price!!

booked a night at the Universal Pacific Resort hotel - for the middle of our stay, so we get 2 days of the Universal Front of the line service - I know the Harry Potter stuff will probably still be only one FOTL access per day, but that is better than nothing......

Lets hope the park hours come out soon.... more planning awaits....

Now we just need to book our coach to the airport, book MNSSHP tickets and----- biggy--- PAY for it all!!! May look at the airport V-room lounge too, don't know since it costs yet more money.....

Tessa

Checking in Tessa! Your stay at the "Dark Side" looks like fun - love the FOTL passes you get by doing that! :thumbsup2

Welcome aboard Tammie.

Well, not done much this week except look at the guide books and TGM, so am in that dreamy frame of mind. Watching Universal ads and looking at their new brochure too - lots of HP themed stuff. Kids are really looking forward to seeing it all.

Tessa

They are constantly running the new Harry Potter attraction ads on TV here in the US. I have see them several times during the olympic coverage. All of them say opening in the spring of 2010 so I am sure it wil be ready for your trip. It looks like I may have to make a Disney exception and go check it out myself. I love Harry Potter and Rollerc Coasters. What a great combination.

Hiya PamelaKay,

Well, if they are running the ads over there too then things must be moving on - in the UK we tend to think of Harry Potter as "ours" :goodvibes:snooty:.

More and more info keeps trickling out.... the ride inside the castle must be quite intense as they say the height restriction will be 48", so not for tots.... luckily my girls are about 54" so can do most stuff at all the parks now.

Anyone wants some Harry Potter fun - just take a look at

http://www.potterpuppetpals.com/

especially the Mysterious Ticking Noise.. had me in stitches - found the link in the "Wizarding World of Harry Potter Thread" - thanks to MadeToLove.

Tessa

Tessa-We are also waiting to hear about Harry Potter at Universal. I check that website often as well. We aren't going to Florida until Dec 2011 so I'm sure it will be open by then. I'm thinking it will be by your trip for sure. I've enjoyed reading your pre trip info. :)

Hi Tessa,

I was reading yesterday about the packages Universal has offered for Harry Potter. I bet people will be booking those like crazy! It all sounds so neat, I can't wait til we can go see it. I will be anxious to read your trip report and see pics when you get back! Sounds like things are moving right along for you with the bookings and nice place for the guinea pigs to stay. :)

Lisa

Welcome back Lisa... Hiya Ariels sister:wave2:,

The guinea pigs always come first with the kids! So we have to make sure they have a friendly place to stay with lots of hay and grass and cuddles...:goodvibes

We looked at our Universal RPR booking info - we will get into the park early the morning after we have slept there!! and get a one time use FOTL for Harry Potter stuff, and full FOTL for the other stuff too!!!

Have started moving the money around too, so it looks like we will have enough to pay for it all!!!! :woohoo: Always helps not to have to worry about where the money is coming from.

Found a lady doing countdown chains on one of the boards too - it goes up to 112 days - so not yet...... but am going to get it printed out and ready - will probably go for a 50day countdown - don't want the kids to go tooooo crazy.

I'm going crazy enough for all of us - keep thinking about what to book, what to plan.... can't wait for the park hours to come out... then the planning will seriously begin!!!

Tessa

Hi Tessa,

I was just reading about some of the neat souvenirs they will have! The wands sound really neat. I think I read they range from $25-$150 depending on what they are capable of doing. My son has a HP wand and the tip lights up when you flick it. When he first got it a few years ago (he is 8 now) he tried really hard to cast a spell on his father...LOL! He was very disappointed when he realized it was not as magical has Harry's! He and I were looking at pictures last night too of Universal and reading about the shops and different food/drinks/toys they will sell. He wants to try Butterbeer. Is there anything special that you or your family want to try or buy when you get there?

Lisa

Hiya all,

Lisa - we read about the wands at WWoHP too , might be a bit pricey for us.....-ours have the kids ones where the tip lights when you flick it, and because there are 2 of them, they can be used in a wand "fight" - point them at each other's wand and flick to reduce the opponent's power. We will probably be going for the sweets - sorry "candy" - chocolate frogs and bertie botts every flavour jelly beans (hopefully not the snot flavour!!)

Not done much planning lately - desperately waiting for the park hours and the MNSSHP dates too.... and reading other TR's to keep feeling the magic...

Tessa

Hi Tessa,

joining the pre trip report!!!

we've got the ssame idea as yourselves and booked into hard rock hotel for one night in July...it is almost the same price as our accomodation for the other 13 nights!!! but will hopefully be worth it for the FOTL access!!!

Cannot wait to see Harry Potter land, read that JK Rowling helped design the costumes for the shop and ride assistants and they don't look florida-weather friendly!!! really excited to try the new ride in the castle...might go to it first thing and use FOTL for our second ride.

Also breakfast at the three broomsticks...added in to my plan!

Are your girls excited yet or is it too far way for them?

We are staying at Gatwick the night beofre too, will be setting two alarms just in case!

Will you be doing any driving or all DH?

Any ADR's thought of yet?

Hiya,

Welcome aboard...... ooooohhhhh - going in July, so you will have to let me know all the info!! LOTS of pics too please!!!! :yay:. I don't care about "spoilers" I am a total control freak so forewarned is forearmed as they say... Are you doing a trippie/pre-trippie??

Hubby does all the driving - doesn't feel comfortable with anyone else driving - and I haven't driven since 1997 anyhow.... don't really like it.

No ADRs planned yet - still about 50 days to go to the 180 days anyhow, and I think this year we may just go with the flow a bit more...

And oh my goodness YES the kids are excited (almost as much as their mum!!!:rolleyes1)

Tessa

Hiya,

Welcome aboard...... ooooohhhhh - going in July, so you will have to let me know all the info!! LOTS of pics too please!!!! :yay:. I don't care about "spoilers" I am a total control freak so forewarned is forearmed as they say... Are you doing a trippie/pre-trippie??

And oh my goodness YES the kids are excited (almost as much as their mum!!!:rolleyes1)

Tessa

OK, i'm with you on the spoiler, i'm dying to know every last detail!!! and dbf total opposite, wouldn't even watch a little clip of the jaws ride on youtube, says he wants to wait and experience it first hand!

will do my best to take as many pictures as possible!!! just read on trip advisor that universal hotel guest getting early entry along with any one that buys the harry potter vacation package...what do you think? would be good news for us sneaky one nighters!!!

for me the excitment is an essential part of the Florida trip!!! i'm on my 5th draft itinerary!!! disboards keeps me sane!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter