Hard time believing some of the “pixie” dust upgrades

Both of our pixie dusts were at BWV ... gotta wonder why I love BWV...
1. cash stay 2 years before we bought DVC (not a coincidence): BWV standard studio --> P/G 1br down the hall from our friends, also on a cash stay. (We asked for a room close to our friends.)

2. Dec 2020, last minute trip, BWV standard studio over Xmas got village green/partial BWV studio. Requested "near elevator". DH works in health care and had just gotten his first shot, we needed that trip so bad. (Disney did not know this)

I think I won the upgrade lottery when my family was booked for 3 nights over December 23-26 in a Boulder Ridge studio. We checked in super late and were told we were upgraded to a 1 bdrm, which actually was NOT a good thing as I needed the 3 different sleeping surfaces. They said if we could use the 1 bdrm for one night, they'd move us the next day and they did - into a Cabin for the nights of the 24th and 25th! It was a Christmas miracle and such an amazing experience - I hated to leave it to attend all the hard-won ADRs and sleigh-ride plans that I'd carefully prepared to make our trip extra festive. It was all extremely festive, with a capital F!

I always read about room upgrades and most are 1-3 night stays.
I believe there is something to staying 1 to 3 nights. 4 of our stays have been short ones. We were upgraded every time, three at GF and once at YC. Our weekly stays have never been upgraded.

Personally have not been so lucky...my parents however stayed at CCV on our points and their studio was having an air conditioning issue when they arrived. Maintenance was there when they left for dinner, and when they returned, they were told they were being moved to a 1-bedroom for rest of trip. As others have said, their experience was tied to a maintenance issue, and they were only there for 3 nights.

We've been DVC owners for 20+ years, and the only time I ever got upgraded was on a solo trip where I'd reserved a value studio at AKJambo for one night. At check in, they upgraded me, but not to a bigger villa. It was still a studio, but a savannah view on the Uzima savannah.

I got upgraded one night from a studio to a 1BR. I didn't even talk to a human, so I'm guessing it was maintenance or lock-off issues. It was just me and my kid, so overkill, but she thought it was fun, and we got to do laundry more conveniently.

We gave never been upgraded in the 20 years and ? trips (some years 1 trip some years 2 one or 2 3 trip years). we have owned howevr mu cousin got an upgrade years ago from a BR to a GV at the BW.

They are usually one night. My daughter was given a 2BR instead of a 1BR at BLT in February, one night. They didn't realize it until it showed on MDE. I have been given better views on Cash reservations, given BW water view at Yacht for example. But one time at DL hotel we were given a suite, for 5 nights vs the regular room. (just a suite, not a fancy themed one!)

Our first DVC stay was in July 2020 (right before the parks reopened). We decided to just enjoy our new DVC membership and a quiet resort. We had a value studio at Jambo house reserved for 5 nights (65 points) and since Jambo was closed, they moved us to a 2-bedroom savanna view (240 points). Needless to say, our kids thought DVC was amazing, lol. We've been in studios ever since!

The only “upgrade” we ever got was when we were booked at the bungalows. There was a problem with the unit and we were moved to a GV at copper instead. The mouse won in the end though…CC was never on our radar before and now I’m obsessed.

We ended up at the Bungalows the next trip.

We got upgraded from a standard studio at BLT to a theme park view studio at the contemporary (I feel like they may have overbooked). They gave us concierge level, which as you know includes: breakfast, snacks, light dinner, dessert bar and free alcohol. For 9 nights. It was incredible.

Last edited:
30 years of membership, no room upgrades ever, nor have I ever expected one.

Though I did feel like I got pixie dusted the one time I accepted a BWV studio which the magic band door reader wasn't working on in exchange for getting into a room at 2pm. The previously assigned occupants must have been celebrating a milestone anniversary, as around 8pm I got a knock on the door from Disney Celebrations, who insisted they had to deliver to my room despite my last name not matching the delivery. The congratulations card from Mickey and Minnie + the balloon, I could forgo. The white chocolate celebration cake, however, was DIVINE and I'm not typically a fan of white chocolate.

I get super jealous when I read about other people's Pixie Dust. In 12 trips, we have never gotten even one single fleck of Pixie Dust. Not a single upgrade, not a single free cupcake with our birthday pins, nothing. I know in the scheme of things, there are millions of other visitors that don't get Pixie Dust, but when you read on these boards about all the cool stuff people get for free, it makes it seem like it's much more common than it is I guess.
I think it’s a double edged sword. People have reported serious cases of addonitis after being upgraded. Could be some expensive pixie dust. :)

3upgrades in three consecutive trips. BW standard to garden suite. BC standard to club overlooking stormalong. YC standard to Club level with an extra anywhere fast pass. Haven’t had an upgrade since but I can assure you that it happens

Member since 2008
Zero times have we had a room upgrade
Only "pixie dust" thing we have had - in 2020 we had our HHI trip cancelled due to covid, I had reached out to the manager about when the resort would reopen and we had a very good phone call about everything. Next trip to HHI, same manager left some gifts in our room for us with a nice note. (Jerome if anyone knew him - he got transferred to WDW)

I have been a DVC member for over 25 years and used our DVC points 2-3 times a year on average. Almost always in a studio. I have never been upgraded. Not once. I have, however, been reverse pixie dusted and have been placed in a handicapped room a number of times including on our last trip.

I was upgraded twice when staying at a non DVC resort.

Member since 2008
Zero times have we had a room upgrade
Only "pixie dust" thing we have had - in 2020 we had our HHI trip cancelled due to covid, I had reached out to the manager about when the resort would reopen and we had a very good phone call about everything. Next trip to HHI, same manager left some gifts in our room for us with a nice note. (Jerome if anyone knew him - he got transferred to WDW)
Jerome is now the manager at the Galactic Starcruiser!

He seemed to be a great manager at DHHIR and got promoted to his new position.

Jerome is now the manager at the Galactic Starcruiser!
Wow, now THAT is a promotion. I wonder what he has to wear, LOL.

Edit: Edit to add, I found his costume and it looks disappointingly like scrubs. Really hoping for some kind of space captain something. I guess he is busy and doesn't have time to fuss with that kind of thing.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter