Happy Independence Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
@CdnCarrie and @prairie_girl, the British and American banter is not considered derogatory. It’s the one day a year we poke fun at each other. Maybe as Canadians your not used to hearing that but it’s very common here.

I always thought US Independence Day should be when Britain finally conceded and/or surrendered. I think it’s sometime in September 1781.

(Actually October 19, 1781.)

Fireworks and BBQs in October sound awesome.
Technically, the date that determined Our Independence was January 29,1774. On this date, Benjamin Franklin stood before the Privy Council at White Hall Chapel, London. He was berated and ridiculed by a man named Alexander Wedderburn, solicitor general, for over an hour -Franklin remained motionless and barely changed the expression on his face the entire time. At this moment, Franklin changed from conciliator to revolutionary. Later using his “relationships” with the French to secure the money and military support required to win our Independence -without which a different outcome would have been likely.

Happy Independence Day! Thanks again to Alexander…..

And many of us don’t feel like celebrating. This country was problematic from the start. Our history and creation was stained and whitewashing the truth with red white and blue banners doesn’t change the reality. and it is tone deaf to blissfully wish a Happy Fourth and frankly I am ashamed of my ignorance in doing so in the past.
So don’t comment. Just scroll on by.

I miss when we all could just wish someone a happy holiday and could just accept the well meaning intentions regardless of personal interpretation. I just miss being civil to one another. I guess I’m too much of believer in humanity. 🥺 :confused3
Really easy to say when you have the same rights you did last month. For those of us who don’t, it doesn’t feel so independent.

For many of us, it doesn’t feel celebratory today.

It's still possible to be civil. Just because I am not celebrating doesn't mean no one else has to. You and everyone else have the right to be proud of this country but I also have the right to not be. I'm finding it harder and harder to with what has been happening recently (not going into any detail beyond that).
You certainly have that right. But the thread was about celebrating. If you didn’t like it why bother commenting? I don’t get it. Think of other places where people are completely oppressed and appreciate that no matter how many problems we face, we are still a heck of a lot more blessed than others in this world. People being bombed out of their homes, starving in North Korea, not allowed to show their bodies at all….the list goes on and on. Time to actually appreciate the freedoms we DO have.

The world has enough negativity in it. A little positivity goes a long way!

So don’t comment. Just scroll on by.
The nice thing about your country is that citizens still get to say what they think of it, positive or negative. Pointing out injustices and inaccuracies is no less patriotic than the next person and with the state of your country at the moment, perhaps welcoming dissenting views would be a good start.

The nice thing about your country is that citizens still get to say what they think of it, positive or negative. Pointing out injustices and inaccuracies is no less patriotic than the next person and with the state of your country at the moment, perhaps welcoming dissenting views would be a good start.
The problem is that those very same people don’t realize how good we actually have it considered to so many other places.

Really easy to say when you have the same rights you did last month. For those of us who don’t, it doesn’t feel so independent.

For many of us, it doesn’t feel celebratory today.
I understand where your coming from. This thread is not about those issues though. I just wanted for one day not to have those things brought up. It will all be fixed in several months in November. I respect everyone’s view. The holiday is just special to me since my ancestors were dealing with the Revolution firsthand. Next time I won’t make a thread. I really hate how everything is now viewed through a political lens. I’m just going to stay off the Disboards during all holidays from now on.

There’s a time and a place to do it though.

You certainly have that right. But the thread was about celebrating. If you didn’t like it why bother commenting? I don’t get it. Think of other places where people are completely oppressed and appreciate that no matter how many problems we face, we are still a heck of a lot more blessed than others in this world. People being bombed out of their homes, starving in North Korea, not allowed to show their bodies at all….the list goes on and on. Time to actually appreciate the freedoms we DO have.

The world has enough negativity in it. A little positivity goes a long way!
@pigletto said exactly what I was going to say. There is nothing wrong with pointing out the negative aspects of this country. After all, this country was built on injustice and discrimination. I do not think America is the best country in the world, far from it. You can appreciate the freedom we have while also acknowledging the political wrongdoings that are currently happening. I don't think there is anything to celebrate right now, but I am not stopping anyone from doing so. I'm enjoying the extra day off like a lot of other folks.

I understand where your coming from. This thread is not about those issues though. I just wanted for one day not to have those things brought up. It will all be fixed in several months in November. I respect everyone’s view. The holiday is just special to me since my ancestors were dealing with the Revolution firsthand. Next time I won’t make a thread. I really hate how everything is now viewed through a political lens. I’m just going to stay off the Disboards during all holidays from now on.
But we don’t get one day off from it! And you’re right, human rights shouldn’t be political, yet here we are. One of the freedoms of this country is that we are all free to express our opinions. If you don’t like these kind of responses, you’re free to scroll by them and just reply to the ones who want to celebrate with you. That does go both ways.
I am so tired of hearing this. There is never a wrong time or place to speak out about injustices.

This is not the only thread you have started on the 4th. There was at least one other a couple of days ago. You can't control responses to what you post and only want positive responses. Perhaps keep it to one thread in the future and not bombard those of us who are not feeling the celebration with multiple reminders of how bad things have become, and not hopeful that November will bring a 'fix'. My family were not dealing with the revolution, they are all immigrants and refugees, another issue that still exists.

That's what we hear every time there is a mass tragedy - too soon to discuss.

@pigletto said exactly what I was going to say. There is nothing wrong with pointing out the negative aspects of this country. After all, this country was built on injustice and discrimination. I do not think America is the best country in the world, far from it. You can appreciate the freedom we have while also acknowledging the political wrongdoings that are currently happening. I don't think there is anything to celebrate right now, but I am not stopping anyone from doing so. I'm enjoying the extra day off like a lot of other folks.
I hope you are having an awesome day! I am just very saddened and frustrated by all the negativity from people nowadays. No place is perfect. That being said, if we had more people spreading positivity and doing good things (which many are), this country would be a lot better for it. We are not even allowed to respectfully disagree anymore. There are just so many people who are so extreme in their beliefs on both sides and show such vitriol towards others that it is truly disgusting to me.

Even here on the Dis lately, there are soooo many threads that wind up turning negative. It never used to be like that. I find it sad.

That being sad, I do wish everyone here a Happy 4th and hope everyone at least got to enjoy the day however they wanted!😊

I made the thread to bring joy. I try to avoid politics every holiday. But today I just figured out that it’s going to be nearly impossible. We can’t just have one day of joy. I’m sorry if this thread has brought sadness, frustration or discomfort to any Disboarders. That was never my intention. ☹️

I made the thread to bring joy. I try to avoid politics every holiday. But today I just figured out that it’s going to be nearly impossible. We can’t just have one day of joy. I’m sorry if this thread has brought sadness, frustration or discomfort to any Disboarders. That was never my intention. ☹️
You meant well. It’s important, though, to understand why some people don’t feel like celebrating.

You’ll notice too that I am just reading the responses, not replying. This isn’t my place to voice my opinions.

The beauty of Our government is that there is always hope for change, it was never meant for it to be static. “In order to form a MORE perfect union” is telling us that it will NEVER be perfect. Fortunately, I’m not directly affected by the current issues that are causing indifference …as well, any African-Americans that have been searching for the same perfection over the last 250 years or so. This isn’t a new issue.

You meant well. It’s important, though, to understand why some people don’t feel like celebrating.

You’ll notice too that I am just reading the responses, not replying. This isn’t my place to voice my opinions.
I understand. I’m just sad. I don’t even want to eat the flag cake I made earlier to celebrate. I learned my lesson. I won’t be posting holiday threads anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter