• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

** Happy Birthday to Me (March '21) and Happy HS Graduation to Her (May/June '21 PTR) [5/8 update]

It's ALMOST time!

So of course temps here in Maryland dropped last night...and this morning it was in the 30s and my car was showing "watch for icy roads" on the dashboard. WHAT? This was after Tuesday temps were I think high 70s or 80s. Still it could be worse as I know some people in the US had snow this week. NO THANK YOU! I do think it should warm up again soon. I have a small herb garden I want to plant on my brand new deck so glad I didn't start that yet.

I've been stalking the dining reservations as well as looking at possible room reservations. It would be nice to stay at least TWO nights in a row at one place but I'm not willing to give up Bay Lake Tower Monday night. The DVC resort options are very limited. I considered paying cash and just booking a different Disney resort, the cheapest one I could find was CBR for Sat and Sun night. Tempting...but I think we'll just keep what we have even if I am a little concerned about the hotel we have booked near Universal for the first night. Still...it's only one night...we are really just there to sleep since we likely won't even arrive until after 8:30pm anyway.

On another note, for this trip I have some GOALS! Here they are in no particular order:

• Ride Hagrids again
  • Eat at Toothsome or Cowfish...or both (we have lunch reservations for both...I've done Toothsome before but not Cowfish)
  • Drinks along the monorail resorts
  • DOLE WHIP at Polynesian
  • CHARACTER meal at Topolino's
Yep...those all seem doable for us right now. I'm a bit concerned about crowds at Universal on Sunday but we'll see as that's probably the one day we can arrive at the parks early since we'll be staying nearby. Oh and of course I'll have to have Butterbeer...frozen...it's a must.

The character meal is the one thing that's odd since it's a character breakfast...and it starts after 12pm on our last day. Now we are okay having breakfast late in the day, but it will likely be the last thing we do before heading out to the airport to catch our 2:45pm flight back home. Perfect way to wrap up a mostly Universal trip...with a Disney character meal that I've been wanting to try. I only wish I could get one booked for the girls trip in May/June also. I keep stalking and yes I do have one "free" subscription tracking service but every time I get an alert from that one it's too late, even if I go check it out within a few minutes.

On another note, we also are in a slight holding pattern in terms of graduation now. The county public school system announced last night that they WILL be holding high school graduations this year, but they've chosen a new outdoor location for all of them. This means all high school graduation dates could end up shifting. My daughter attends a public charter middle/high school that's part of the system...but isn't in some ways. So it remains to be seen how they will handle that graduation, currently slated to be indoors on June 10th. There is a small chance that the high school graduation for my daughter could change...and then we might have to change this trip. Hopefully we will know more very soon.

In the meantime, I have just two working days to get through this week, then spend some time with the family on Saturday before we head south! Will try to do some live updates while there.

Still it could be worse as I know some people in the US had snow this week.

This is us. We got about 3-6 inches of snow overnight Tuesday into Wednesday morning. It is pretty much all gone now but it is still pretty cold. We will be in the 70 and 80's late in the weekend into next week.

The county public school system announced last night that they WILL be holding high school graduations this year, but they've chosen a new outdoor location for all of them

They are doing the same around here too but have set a few rain out dates to be save.

Love that you’re so close to your trip. Your must- do list seems very doable. Crossing my fingers that you get some great dining sorted and that you hear soon about your daughters graduation. Looking forward to the live updates :goodvibes

This is us. We got about 3-6 inches of snow overnight Tuesday into Wednesday morning. It is pretty much all gone now but it is still pretty cold. We will be in the 70 and 80's late in the weekend into next week.
They are doing the same around here too but have set a few rain out dates to be save.

Eeek...no thank you on the snow. Yeah I think they are expecting frost tonight. Time to pull out the heavy blankets again I guess.

Love that you’re so close to your trip. Your must- do list seems very doable. Crossing my fingers that you get some great dining sorted and that you hear soon about your daughters graduation. Looking forward to the live updates :goodvibes

Yes me too...and I sure hope so. I'm sure our dining will change a zillion times between now and our trip and during the trip. AND bonus it looks like the graduation date is going to stick!

It's ALMOST time!

party:Have a great trip!

So of course temps here in Maryland dropped last night...and this morning it was in the 30s and my car was showing "watch for icy roads" on the dashboard. WHAT? This was after Tuesday temps were I think high 70s or 80s. Still it could be worse as I know some people in the US had snow this week. NO THANK YOU! I do think it should warm up again soon. I have a small herb garden I want to plant on my brand new deck so glad I didn't start that yet.

:cold:

I've been stalking the dining reservations as well as looking at possible room reservations. It would be nice to stay at least TWO nights in a row at one place but I'm not willing to give up Bay Lake Tower Monday night. The DVC resort options are very limited. I considered paying cash and just booking a different Disney resort, the cheapest one I could find was CBR for Sat and Sun night. Tempting...but I think we'll just keep what we have even if I am a little concerned about the hotel we have booked near Universal for the first night. Still...it's only one night...we are really just there to sleep since we likely won't even arrive until after 8:30pm anyway.

Hopefully the off-site hotel is fine and that you enjoy your super-split-stay!

Also, I know sometimes it's unavoidable, but I have decided I will try to keep my split stays to a minimum of 2 nights in any one location. One night is just TOO short if I want to spend any real time at all at the resort.

The character meal is the one thing that's odd since it's a character breakfast...and it starts after 12pm on our last day. Now we are okay having breakfast late in the day, but it will likely be the last thing we do before heading out to the airport to catch our 2:45pm flight back home. Perfect way to wrap up a mostly Universal trip...with a Disney character meal that I've been wanting to try. I only wish I could get one booked for the girls trip in May/June also. I keep stalking and yes I do have one "free" subscription tracking service but every time I get an alert from that one it's too late, even if I go check it out within a few minutes.

:scared: I see you like to live dangerously. :scared1:

On another note, we also are in a slight holding pattern in terms of graduation now. The county public school system announced last night that they WILL be holding high school graduations this year, but they've chosen a new outdoor location for all of them. This means all high school graduation dates could end up shifting. My daughter attends a public charter middle/high school that's part of the system...but isn't in some ways. So it remains to be seen how they will handle that graduation, currently slated to be indoors on June 10th. There is a small chance that the high school graduation for my daughter could change...and then we might have to change this trip. Hopefully we will know more very soon.

In the meantime, I have just two working days to get through this week, then spend some time with the family on Saturday before we head south! Will try to do some live updates while there.

:scared: :headache:

Ah yes, the perpetual PIVOT! of this school year. My teacher friends and I have thrown around the meme from Friends with Ross, the couch, and the stairs so many times this school year.

My district just announced moving graduation to an outdoor venue, but I don't believe the dates or times changed. They're using the district facilities (stadiums), so it's all in-house.

party:Have a great trip!

:cold:

Hopefully the off-site hotel is fine and that you enjoy your super-split-stay!

Also, I know sometimes it's unavoidable, but I have decided I will try to keep my split stays to a minimum of 2 nights in any one location. One night is just TOO short if I want to spend any real time at all at the resort.
:scared: I see you like to live dangerously. :scared1:

Ah yes, the perpetual PIVOT! of this school year. My teacher friends and I have thrown around the meme from Friends with Ross, the couch, and the stairs so many times this school year.

My district just announced moving graduation to an outdoor venue, but I don't believe the dates or times changed. They're using the district facilities (stadiums), so it's all in-house.

Thank you thank you! I'm with you on the split stays but it is what it is for us right now. Only...well it may only be 2 nights now. Stay tuned for the update.

AH...PIVOT!!! Yes for sure on the changes. I'm just glad we can keep our plans.

Thank you thank you! I'm with you on the split stays but it is what it is for us right now. Only...well it may only be 2 nights now. Stay tuned for the update.

AH...PIVOT!!! Yes for sure on the changes. I'm just glad we can keep our plans.

Your trip that is today (it's today, right?) might only be two nights?! :oops:

Ok...so we *SHOULD* be getting ready to go to the airport in another hour or so...but now likely we will not be doing that. Seems there is quite the weather up and down the east coast right now. I really hope @CruellaNY got her flight in safely and is enjoying her vacation so far.

So...last night I was still lamenting my first night's hotel choice. With there being SO many options in Florida I decided to go ahead and cancel and rethink my hotel. Probably a good thing given our current predicament.

Despite having some beautiful weather here in Maryland today, and me playing some fantastic ladies doubles tennis this morning for fun, there is clearly some weather about to happen somewhere between here and Florida or maybe happening now. We got a text around noon or so that our 4:45pm flight would be leaving after 9pm. We were so confused.

We went online and the flight wasn't cancelled...but also to make any changes this late we would be charged a lot of points that it didn't make sense to part with right now. We decided to just keep what we have for now. Right now it's showing a departure around 8:35pm. According to SWA the air traffic control has delayed it due to weather. So we'll just have to see but on the off chance the flight ends up being cancelled tonight...I'm not going to book our hotel yet.

That may seem crazy I'm sure.

We'll figure something out though.

In the meantime here we are waiting to see just when we'll need to head to the airport. The good news is that we live very very close so no big deal if we have to leave earlier or later right now.

You know what is fun? When you are sitting at a local Italian restaurant enjoying some pizza with your kids and at 5:40pm you get a text that your 4:45pm flight which was moved to 8:35pm is now leaving at 6:05pm.

I am sure the restaurant people didn't know what was happening as we grabbed to go boxes and ran out the door. This is thankfully a restaurant where you order food and pay for it then sit while they being it to your table..

So we live about 10 minutes from the restaurant...maybe 15 at most. We flew home and stopped long enough to grab our bags and then get back in the car and try to make it for our flight. Did I mention we are about 15-20 minutes from the airport? We would probably have arrived at 6:05pm. Would it be enough time? Would they hold our plane? DH is on the phone with SWA and they can put us on the next flight which is scheduled for 8:45pm but was also delayed to after 9pm. As he is making the change we get another text...our flight is now 7pm...we can definitely make that and since we are still on the phone we tell him nevermind. He wishes us luck.

We are now at the gate waiting for our supposedly 7pm flight but they were still boarding another flight when we arrived so it is 6:43pm and we aren't boarding yet. You can tell some weather is approaching in the distance. This is gonna be such fun.

This airport is the busiest I have seen it on over a year. I suspect it is because many flights were delayed and judging by all the overhead speakers announcing later calls for boarding and calling people out by name I imagine many people will not be making their flights.

Oh and did I mention I haven't booked a hotel for tonight in Orlando yet?

Gonna need some drinks. OMG apparently some people just got texts that our flight has departed. They just announced it is still here don't panic.

Fun.

I’m seriously hoping you are walking up this morning in Orlando and that your flight was smooth when it eventually happened. Hope you found a bed for the night too obviously 🛌 😴

Wow....just wow.

I hope you arrived safely and were able to book a hotel for the night.

Yes I can't even begin to explain the crazy that we went through yesterday. There were a lot of clearly unhappy people on our very packed flight for sure.

I’m seriously hoping you are walking up this morning in Orlando and that your flight was smooth when it eventually happened. Hope you found a bed for the night too obviously 🛌 😴

Thank you and I am waking up in a nice comfy bed. The hotel I chose is near Universal. It seems pretty nice but of course we just needed a bed. The sheets are soft and I slept pretty well. We will head to Universal in a little bit. I will say I noticed yesterday that all the Uni parks were showing at capacity in the afternoon. So we will see how long we stay.

Good morning from Florida!! So we finally landed around 10pm or so, rental car pickup went much smoother than last time,, got a cute little Corolla to drive around. We had a few bumps on our flight but nothing major. I got some cool video of the lightning as we flew past the storms.
We did have some crazy adventures last night on our search for some food after 11pm. I've seen some new parts of Orlando nightlife now that I didn't know existed. It was crazy but in the end we had to settle for some snacks at a nearby 7-11.

Ok gotta get up and get ready for our first of two days here!

Coming to you live from our room at Boardwalk. Our room faces the Luna Park pool. We spent a little time there today.

Crowds at Universal today were pretty big. Lines were long so we did our few rides early and then had a lovely lunch at Toothsome. We returned to parks after but didn't do a ton. Arrived at Boardwalk in the afternoon and other than dinner we have been here.

Ditched Morimoto Asia tonight And had a hard time finding food when we were hungry. Ended up at Shades of Green and had a really good meal there and so reasonable in price.

Tomorrow will be more Universal, stay at Bay Lake also..

Ok so I slacked on the last two days. I will have much to say about the ridiculousness of Universals security and crowds from yesterday. The crazy lines and crowds at Universal meant we didn't do much but that was okay. We had several delicious meals though. We had some down time. And I got a meal with Mickey so my non Disney trip had enough Disney. I crossed a few things off my bucket list for Florida including a surprise I hope to share later. We arrived home around 5pm, kids picked us up at the airport ( can I say how funny it is to see my 18yo daughter driving our honking SUV with my FIL in the passenger seat and my 21yo and 16yo sons in the back?) and drove us to dinner. Now I need to get some sleep as a big day back at work tomorrow and also will have my 2nd vaccination and expect I could be down for the count on Thursday if I follow how most people I know have reacted.

Hope to start my TR soon!

Good morning from Florida!!
Yay! Youo made it party:
I've seen some new parts of Orlando nightlife now that I didn't know existed.
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
Ok gotta get up and get ready for our first of two days here!
Hope they are great days!
Hope to start my TR soon!
Good luck with the vaccine. I had my 2nd jab on saturday and needed paracetamol a couple of times Sat/Sun for flu-like symptoms but grand since waking Monday so I hope you aren't too bad :goodvibes
Can't wait for the TR. Make sure to let us know when you start :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter