Happy and Grumpy’s 1st Trip - Part 4: VomitQuest

JuleeM13

Earning My Ears
Cast: Julee, 27 (AKA Happy) 1st trip to WDW. John, 29 (AKA Grumpy) 1st trip to WDW

Sunday Nov. 12 (Day 1)

John said he wasn’t tired so I fell asleep without the setting the alarm. He lied. OUR nap lasted a bit longer than I had wanted and we woke up about 7:00pm (These mid-day naps would prove to put a damper on my plans). We got dressed and took the boat back downtown. By the time we got to DisneyQuest (now known to John and I as VomitQuest) it was already almost 8:30, but we figured we would have enough time since it was open until midnight. I had really wanted to be in bed early since we had to be up at the crack of dawn for early entry to Magic Kingdom, but hey, I WAS AT WDW!

For some reason John and I thought it would be a good idea to do all the big attractions at DQ first and then go back and play some of the regular arcade games. I don’t know what we were thinking. We stared at the top floor and worked our way down. It wasn’t very crowded so we had minimal waits. We walked right up to Invasion!ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter which is a virtual reality game. I was the gunner and John was the pilot. I kicked butt if I may say so myself. Next we did Ride the Comix. This was interesting. It’s another virtual reality game, but this time you have to put a hot and quite stinky helmet over your head. It was sort of heavy and it kept slipping down over my nose so I couldn’t breath. I was happy when that one was over. We went on Buzz Lightyear’s AstroBlaster and Might Ducks Pinball Slam. We are both very into video games, but we failed miserably at these.

Next we moved onto Cyber Space Mountain. I was really excited about this one. You get to design your own roller coaster and then actually ride it in this pod-simulator-type-thing. John let me design the coaster (big mistake). Of course I tried to make it as crazy as I could. It think I made it go upside down 8 times. We scored a 4 out of 5 (basically that means that 4 out of 5 people think it’s too intense to ride). I was really hoping for a 5 out of 5. We entered our pod and we were off! THIS IS TOO COOL! Cyber Space Mountain was worth the admission price alone. For some reason I got the giggles and I couldn’t stop laughing. Then John couldn’t stop laughing either. It got worse when every time we went upside down my shirt decided to rise up a bit. I knew there was a video camera in the pod so the ride operator could see you and I got a little self conscious, but that didn’t stop me from laughing. This is almost better than being on a real roller coaster because when you go upside down, it is much slower and you feel like you are going to fall our of your seat.

When our ride was over the pod opened and the Cast Member asked us if we were ready to try a 5 out of 5. Of course we were up for it! This one was better then ours. We were really beginning to wonder if they were pumping the pod with laughing gas because we were laughing uncontrollably. The ride stopped again and the Cast Member poked in his head again and asked if we were ready to go upside down 10 times. Of course we were up for it! This one didn’t seem as intense as the second one, but it was fun none the less. By the end of the third time my face felt like it was going to fall off from laughing and when the Cast Member poked his head in again John and I both shouted simultaneously “NO MORE!”

Next we went to ride Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for Buccaneer’s Gold. The line was pretty long, but luckily just as we walked up they were looking for a party of 2. This is another simulator ride where you stand on what appears to be the deck of a ship and fire virtual cannon balls at pirates on large video screens. We did fairly well, but by this time John and I both felt very queasy. We decided to skip the Aladdin ride and finish off with Virtual Jungle Cruise. BIG MISTAKE! I was really hoping the inflatable boats came equipped with those nice little paper bags you get on airplanes. I pretty much kept my eyes closed the entire time and prayed for it to be over. We must have looked pretty pathetic to onlookers since this is an interactive ride and neither John nor I were “interacting”. We decided our real stomachs had all the virtual reality they could take.

Were weren’t sure where the buses picked up (or even what they looked like), so we decided to take the boat back to the hotel again despite having to walk all the way back to the other side of DTD. Later we would learn that we could have taken the boat or the bus from very close to DQ. Oh well, live and learn. The line for the boat was very long so we asked around where to catch the bus. After finally finding the bus stop we arrived just in time to catch one back to Port Orleans. I was surprised that these were big buses. I guess I expected more shuttle type things. The Disney buses are very clean and comfortable. I love the fact that they turn out the lights at night because after VomitQuest I don’t think I could have handled fluorescent lighting.

Would you still recommend DQ to family with 16 and 10 yr olds? We're going in 12 days and am not sure of it ?!!

Yes I would recommend DQ, especially with teens. We really enjoyed it. I just wouldn't recommend going on all the virtual reality attractions in a row in a 1 ½ hour timeframe. Give yourself a break in between. However if you really don’t enjoy video games then you might be a bit bored.

I liked your descriptions of Disney Quest. Most people don't describe this so I have had a hard time getting a sense of what it is like. Now I can't wait! :)

I got the hysterical giggles after riding Rocknroller Coaster for the first time. I can only say that I think it was because it was so FAST!! LOL

It's too bad you got disoriented in DTD, but I think it has happened to the best of us in ANY of the parks! Now that I have been there a number of times, I am pretty familiar with where everything is located. So, I guess your cure would be to go back a couple of times! :D

Thanks for describing DQ. This is one place I haven't been and I don't think I will be going there anytime soon!! LOL

rn_pic_1.jpg

DVC Member since 1995

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter