Happy 20th anniversary to Disney’s Animal Kingdom!

IDK where I put them, but I have printed photos from when Disney did a nationwide promotional tour for the brand new Animal Kingdom.

I learned about it on the radio and the Community Board here. It came to the athletic field of the University where I live. They set up a boneyard, blew up gigantic balloons, and held meet and greets with Minnie and Mickey dressed in safari gear.

My son was three-ish at the time. I can’t remember if this event was before or after we went to Animal Kingdom for the first time in February 1999. He was 2 1/2 then. Could have been a few months afterward in the spring of 1999. :)

I've been trying to remember exactly when that was too! It came to out local fair ground and my son was pre school age, but I can't remember if it was before or after my daughter was born. Bad mom moment for sure!

I've been trying to remember exactly when that was too! It came to out local fair ground and my son was pre school age, but I can't remember if it was before or after my daughter was born. Bad mom moment for sure!

I posted about it because I was hoping other posters here remembered it. And you did!

I know that there was more to see and do than I’m remembering.

Is that an actual trading pin or just a normal Disney Conservation Fund pin?

So my brother is a cast member and he just got to meet Joe Rohde. He didn't know too much about him so he asked me what to say to him. Aside from the obvious AK stuff I told him to thank him for the Adventurer's Club. He told me when he brought up the club to Joe, Joe got very excited that someone mentioned it and said it was one of his favorite things he's done.

God I love that man. And I hate my brother with a bitter jealousy.

So my brother is a cast member and he just got to meet Joe Rohde. He didn't know too much about him so he asked me what to say to him. Aside from the obvious AK stuff I told him to thank him for the Adventurer's Club. He told me when he brought up the club to Joe, Joe got very excited that someone mentioned it and said it was one of his favorite things he's done.

God I love that man. And I hate my brother with a bitter jealousy.
I am extremely jealous as well!

Finding some great gems on twitter of old Animal Kingdom including some beastly kingdom remnants, discovery river boats, and Big red (safari poacher story).

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter