Handicapped Parking at Universal?

JudyS

Disney Lover, DVC Member, and Timeshare Fan!
A friend and I are going to IOA at Universal Studios. She plans to push me in a manual wheelchair. She has heard that the parking garage is huge and is concerned about how far she will have to push me there. She was thinking of maybe paying extra for valet parking instead.

I will have a handicapped parking placard with me (it is from Michigan, but all states accept each others' handicapped parking permits.) What is handicapped parking like at Universal Studios? Is it reasonably close to the entrance for Islands of Adventure, or should we spend extra for valet parking?

Thanks in advance!

Parking lot is a bit of a hike to the main entrance. But park requires a bunch of walking.

Universal, in my opinion, is not as friendly/accessible to folks in wheelchair as WDW. Sadly, some US employee thought that, too. Couldn't take DS in some of the stores at HP.

Disabled Parking in both garages is on Level 3, which is the entrance level to the Parks area, so no escalators or elevators are needed. And again the areas are very close to the main walkway over to City Walk. They prefer that people in wheelchairs or ECVs not use the moving walkways. Using valet parking you have to use elevators and do not really save much in the distance.

Disabled Parking in both garages is on Level 3, which is the entrance level to the Parks area, so no escalators or elevators are needed. And again the areas are very close to the main walkway over to City Walk. They prefer that people in wheelchairs or ECVs not use the moving walkways. Using valet parking you have to use elevators and do not really save much in the distance.
Thanks, Cheshire Figment! So, it sounds like you are suggesting I use the handicapped parking and skip the valet parking, is that correct?

Parking lot is a bit of a hike to the main entrance. But park requires a bunch of walking.

Universal, in my opinion, is not as friendly/accessible to folks in wheelchair as WDW. Sadly, some US employee thought that, too. Couldn't take DS in some of the stores at HP.
Mdvlprof, are you saying the handicapped parking is a hike to the main entrance, or only the regular parking is? I know my friend will have to push me for long distances in the park itself, which is why we are trying to conserve her energy by parking as close as possible.

I haven't been to Universal in years and years, since before I was in a wheelchair. Even without going, though, I get the feeling that Universal is not nearly as accessible as Disney. Almost no attractions at Universal can handle an ECV in the queue or allow people to remain in their wheelchairs in the ride, whereas many at Disney do.

My friend is the one who wants to do Universal, as she is a huge Harry Potter fan. I am really worried that it will be crowded at WWoHP, my wheelchair will prevent her from doing much there, and she'll have a bad time. It's very disconcerting that you can't take a wheelchair in some of the WWoHP shops! What did the TMs say to you? Which shops couldn't you get into?

ALL parking at US/IOA is in parking garages. It is a hike to each park, since you have to walk thru City Walk to get to either park. Even tho you are on the same level, there are hills and such to conquer, and a manual w/c may be a little tough on your friend, mostly on the way back. We're going over next weekend on the 22nd so I'll let ya know how it goes. DH pushes me, not sure of the comparison to your friend, sometimes he has issues with hills and such in the parks. Especially when people stop in front of him!!!

Yes, the parking garage is a LONG way to the parks. I haven't been to Universal in a really long time but plan to see WWoHP in a few years- I'm in no hurry to get in massive crowds. I also am interested to hear which shops would not allow someone in a w/c to have access.----Kathy

My friend is the one who wants to do Universal, as she is a huge Harry Potter fan. I am really worried that it will be crowded at WWoHP, my wheelchair will prevent her from doing much there, and she'll have a bad time. It's very disconcerting that you can't take a wheelchair in some of the WWoHP shops! What did the TMs say to you? Which shops couldn't you get into?

WWoHP is crowded. Its designed that way. And everyone is in a hurry, so they really don't see a wheelchair. Couldn't get into Olivanders. Couldn't manuever in store at end of Forbidden Journey. DS is tall [6 ft] so that may have played a small role. Technically, the stores meet ADA guidelines, but assume noone else is in the store.

DH does most of the talking since a stroke left me with a speech impairment. Didn't have much interaction at HP, we were largely ignored by employees. Had long chats with employees at a couple of the shows [elsewhere at US]. Don't remember exactly what was said, but they agreed that accessabilty at US is not what it could be.

Thanks to everyone for the information!
ALL parking at US/IOA is in parking garages. It is a hike to each park, since you have to walk thru City Walk to get to either park. Even tho you are on the same level, there are hills and such to conquer, and a manual w/c may be a little tough on your friend, mostly on the way back....
Is it possible to drop off someone in a wheelchair right in front of the park and then double back to park the car?

Also, it sounds like using valet parking won't really help any, because one still has to drop off the car at the same parking garage -- is that correct? Does anyone know where the VIP Valet parking is?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter