Handicap Parking at Theme Parks

danj1997

Mouseketeer
I will be traveling to Disneyworld in the beginning of May. Will be staying at the Wilderness Lodge with my parents both of whom will have rental scooters. I am renting a vehicle to drive scooters around. Will take boat to MK. Will I be able to drive to the other theme parks and utilize the handicap parking without having to pay to park, instead of trying to get two scooters on buses. This is my first trip with both using scooters. We have had one scooter for years and had some difficult times getting on buses can't imagine getting two on. They are concerned about stares and comments getting around utilizing disney transportation.

I will be traveling to Disneyworld in the beginning of May. Will be staying at the Wilderness Lodge with my parents both of whom will have rental scooters. I am renting a vehicle to drive scooters around. Will take boat to MK. Will I be able to drive to the other theme parks and utilize the handicap parking without having to pay to park, instead of trying to get two scooters on buses. This is my first trip with both using scooters. We have had one scooter for years and had some difficult times getting on buses can't imagine getting two on. They are concerned about stares and comments getting around utilizing disney transportation.

If you have a handicap placard you can use the handicap parking spots.

Guests staying at Disney Resorts do not pay for parking.

as pp said you have to have a placard to park in a handicap spot they are subject to a 250 fine from the orange county sheriff if you don't have one and park in one.

We love to park at Epcot, the spaces are really close to the gate which makes it easy to head back to the car for a picnic lunch. AK is not bad either but we don't visit there much. The main one to avoid parking if you can is MK. Much easier to take the boat or bus. As far as the bus, we have mom in a scooter and DS in a chair and have never had a major problem except that the bus has a limit and there is a chance you may get split up. When we do get looks for how long it takes us to load, I just remember that I paid the same ticket price the others did, and If we weren't using that H/C space, the next person in line will, so what's the difference? Our next trip will include Dad on a scooter too! that's when we will really get the looks! As PP said, make sure you use your placard, don't need to spend time getting a ticket fixed. they will excuse it if you prove you have a placard, but who wants to waste vacation time?

Just to clarify, all guests staying at a WDW resort get free parking at the parks.

The handicapped parking permit is necessary for parking in a handicapped parking spot, but it does nothing for paying to park.

The handicapped parking areas are the closest parking, but some of them are still a fair walk.
The AK and Studio handicapped parking lots do sometimes fill up - if that happens, you can drive up and let them off, then go park in the regular lot.

The reason people recommend not driving to MK is that the parking lot is across the water from the park. So, you will drive to the parking lot, then take the monorail or boat to MK.

There is more information about parking in the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of this board.

With your H placard you can also receive free valet parking if you visit another resort for dining. It's a great service when traveling with my mom who simple can not walk any distances.
I always give them a small tip when they return my car to me:)

Although you certainly don't have to and **** to all the people who stare, I do think having a rental will be easier on your family and certainly will save you some time too.

Hoping you have a wonderful time:):)

What is the difference between using a stroller and using a stroller as a wheelchair? My son wears AFO's and I am wondering if that is something I should look into. Although we have been to the parks before, this is the first time since he has to wear the AFO's.

What is the difference between using a stroller and using a stroller as a wheelchair? My son wears AFO's and I am wondering if that is something I should look into. Although we have been to the parks before, this is the first time since he has to wear the AFO's.

Sorry misunderstood te question thought you was thinking of getting a h/c placard to use for your car.

Disney will give you gac with stroller as wheelchair stamp that you can use in the parks.

If you get a tag to use a stroller-as-a-wheelchair, you can take it places (e.g. through lines for rides) that a stroller normally isn't allowed. This would allow your son to stay in the stroller all the way until the ride car (or pretty close thereto) rather than having to walk through the line (some of which, like Soarin' can be really, really long).

It has nothing to do (as the PP seems to be suggesting) with the DMV or your doctor. You use whatever stroller you have and they (the people at Guest Services) give you a tag to put onto it.

I am not sure you are asking about parking or in the parks.

In the parks the difference between "using a stroller" and "using a stroller as a wheelchair" is stroller as a wheelchair can be taken into lines where just using a stroller cannot.

Stroller as a wheelchair is a tag you get to put on your stroller from GS at the park and does not require a Dr note.

If you get a tag to use a stroller-as-a-wheelchair, you can take it places (e.g. through lines for rides) that a stroller normally isn't allowed. This would allow your son to stay in the stroller all the way until the ride car (or pretty close thereto) rather than having to walk through the line (some of which, like Soarin' can be really, really long).

It has nothing to do (as the PP seems to be suggesting) with the DMV or your doctor. You use whatever stroller you have and they (the people at Guest Services) give you a tag to put onto it.

I thought she was thinking of getting a plac card for her car that why I suggest te doctor and DMV. I misunderstood if she was asking about a gac then should would not need anything from her dr or the DMV.

You already got some information, but I wanted to point you toward the disABILITIES FAQs thread. It is near the top of this board, or you can follow the link in my signature to get there. Post 6 in that thread is about Guest Assistance Cards and includes using a stroller as a wheelchair.

I don't know if it still applies, but in 2011 we were allowed to park in the Disabled parking lot at all 4 parks. I did have a letter from the doctor about my sons special needs and had actually stopped at the parking attendent to ask where Guest Services was in MK because I needed a GAC. The attendent told me where GS was, but also explained that we could park in the disabled parking lot (my son is autistic, has a seizure disorder, is very heat sensitive and has some other issues.) At first I was really worried I'd get get ticket or have my car towed, as my state doesn't issue handicapped stickers for neurological type issues (which I really get. In most instances my son can get around without assistance, but at places as big as Disneyworld it is an issue--plus cranky tired pinchy finger autistic child squeezed onto a tram with strangers is just an assult waiting to happen.) By the third day I pushed for an explanation (still worried my car woudl be towed) and was told it was also a "medical" parking lot.

So anyhow, maybe its changed, but it would at least be worth asking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter