hand - sanitizer stains!! ugh :(

mafibisha

DIS Veteran
I just found three spots, stains on my new black, cotton pants, and realized they're from hand-sanitizer, ugh. :scared1: Who would have guessed! I'm afraid they're there forever, and they're not coming out because they're similar to toothpaste spots?

I'm hoping one of you very resourceful Dissers have a remedy! Or are they ruined?

weird.

I've had really good luck with Dawn detergent on other stains. It is the only thing that gets out grease, butter, olive oil, etc.

Is it lotion based or alcohol based ?

Usually alcohol based products are good at taking out OTHER stains... that's what is weird.

Sorry no advice on your pants situation - but did want to throw out to be careful with hand sanitizer around wood as well. I have spot on my desk where the finish was eaten off by a drop of hand sanitizer. I didn't realize I had gotten some on there until after the fact.

okay don't think I'm an idiot but I have done this on new black jeans..so not sure if it would work on your pants (depending on the shade of black & of course how big the 3 spots are) but hey what have you got to lose? and don't do this now if in the office, wait till you can take them off. I used a permanent black laundry marker..poof..all gone :) ( the sanitizer had pulled the color OUT on your pants)

Sorry no advice on your pants situation - but did want to throw out to be careful with hand sanitizer around wood as well. I have spot on my desk where the finish was eaten off by a drop of hand sanitizer. I didn't realize I had gotten some on there until after the fact.

okay don't think I'm an idiot but I have done this on new black jeans..so not sure if it would work on your pants (depending on the shade of black & of course how big the 3 spots are) but hey what have you got to lose? and don't do this now if in the office, wait till you can take them off. I used a permanent black laundry marker..poof..all gone :) ( the sanitizer had pulled the color OUT on your pants)
Wow, who knew it would pull color OUT of things!!?? There should be a warning label! (maybe there is?)

Ok, I will try the permanent black laundry marker, sounds like an idea, but first, please tell me what it is exactly... I am laundry challenged :sad2:

sort of like a Sharpie permanent marker pen..you can find it in the laundry section usually, or stop in a dry cleaning store and ask where you can get one. (DH has it for work for some reason or another.) Maybe even the permanent marker would work but this I don't know for sure

That fact that hand sanitizer took out the color makes perfect sense. Its alcohol. And all alcohol based products say to test on out-of-sight areas first or to be careful on surfaces like wood with a poly finish. Science class anyone?

Amordex takes out Sharpie -- if anyone has that problem. :thumbsup2 Check their website for stores that sell it. I had to look around but finally found it. And it WORKS!

Other stains I've had excellent luck with soaking the spot in OxyClean when nothing else has worked. Even after washing & drying it. Especially grease stains.

Try googling too.

I have had the same problem with a couple of tshirts. The color was bleached out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter