Hanauma Bay Questions

Sydnerella

enough is as good as a feast
Based on our current plans I’m considering adding a visit to Hanauma Bay in July on a Sunday 10ish or Friday 11 or noonish. We are 2 adults 2 high schoolers with limited snorkeling experience and good swimming skills. Excited to snorkel.

I know the reservation system opens two days in advance at 7 HI time and I have seen how the reservations are set up booking every 10 minutes 7-1:20pm. And it books within minutes. I’m also very aware that many recommend early morning visiting for the most fish and that parking quickly fills - though others say there are still many fish to see and pkg later after the initial morning crunch. But early morning is just not going to work for us. Soooo unless it’s totally not worth going later, please help answer these questions within our currently planned schedule - thanks 😊:

- if parking is full, what are the other parking options? We have a rental.
- How long can you stay at the bay- is the reservation time limited?
- if not limited, how long is typical to plan for a good visit
- is parking typically full at 10? 11? 12?

1. Park at the nearby district park, then walk over to Hanauma Bay.
2. They clear the beach at 3:30 and close at 4.
3. At least 2-3 hours.
4. Full by 9-10AM, yes.

Given the reservation system you may not get a lot of choice in time slot.

I can’t answer the specifics but in general I’ll just say we couldn’t do an early morning either. Went right after lunch, found parking, and saw tons of fish. I would definitely not skip it just because you can’t go first thing. IMO it is the ideal spot for beginners—easy entry, shallow water, light waves, good visibility, lots of fish. You’ll have a blast!!

We have been at different times of the day and the late morning/early afternoon is fine.
I actually prefer it because I find it can be cold in the early morning.
I like to stay to the left of the middle as you look out from the beach to the ocean. There is a large, long shallow sandy section you walk pretty far out on that first to get used to the water temp (I am a big baby when it comes to water temperatures LOL) The water can get churned up by the afternoon but you can almost always find some place within the bay to see fish.

We have been at different times of the day and the late morning/early afternoon is fine.
I actually prefer it because I find it can be cold in the early morning.
I like to stay to the left of the middle as you look out from the beach to the ocean. There is a large, long shallow sandy section you walk pretty far out on that first to get used to the water temp (I am a big baby when it comes to water temperatures LOL) The water can get churned up by the afternoon but you can almost always find some place within the bay to see fish.
And it’s much easier to just meander around than say Sharks Cove—not so many places where you have to go a certain way to get through sharp rocks. We’ve been snorkeling in the open ocean all week on Maui, and it sure makes that open bay seem even more relaxing!! But we’ve seen a ton of turtles, so it’s been worth it!! @Synderella I’d also recommend a laminated “fish of Hawaii” spotting card, too; it’s way more fun to me when I know what I’m seeing! I ordered mine on Amazon.

And it’s much easier to just meander around than say Sharks Cove—not so many places where you have to go a certain way to get through sharp rocks. We’ve been snorkeling in the open ocean all week on Maui, and it sure makes that open bay seem even more relaxing!! But we’ve seen a ton of turtles, so it’s been worth it!! @Synderella I’d also recommend a laminated “fish of Hawaii” spotting card, too; it’s way more fun to me when I know what I’m seeing! I ordered mine on Amazon.
@cgattis If you are still on Maui, try Kapalua Bay just North of Ka'anapali, for sheltered snorkelling (unless you already have LOL)
It is much much smaller than Hanauma Bay but it is a really nice spot with some pretty decent snorkelling on either side.
It is a little complicated to get to and the parking fills up very quickly but it is one of my favourite place to snorkel on Maui

Last edited:
@cgattis If you are still on Maui, try Kapalua Bay just North of Ka'anapali, for sheltered snorkelling (unless you already have LOL)
It is much much smaller than Hanauma Bay but it is a really nice spot with some pretty decent snorkelling on either side.
It is a little complicated to get to and the parking fills up very quickly but it is one of my favourite place to snorkel on Maui

Alas, I just landed back on the mainland 😢 We still haven’t made it any further west than Iao Needle, but I’ll put that on my list for next time!!

I’m wondering if snorkeling at Hanauma Bay late morning -say 10-12 then get lunch and chill - would be too much to add to our first full day (staying first two nights in Waikiki) when we have surf lessons for our 18 and 15 year olds at 3 pm at Queens Beach/Waikiki with Ohana Surf Project.

I’m wondering if snorkeling at Hanauma Bay late morning -say 10-12 then get lunch and chill - would be too much to add to our first full day (staying first two nights in Waikiki) when we have surf lessons for our 18 and 15 year olds at 3 pm at Queens Beach/Waikiki with Ohana Surf Project.
Going to Hanauma Bay over a period of 40+ years, I can say that I’ve never spent less than 3 hours there. I know some people go in and out, but between watching the video, making your way to and from the beach, renting snorkeling gear, etc, it’s 45min to an hour just in non-activity time. And snorkeling, relaxing on the beach, and making your way over to the Toilet Bowl (which is now closed…😥) - all take time.

I would recommend separating them out, or getting to Hanauma Bay earlier in the day.

On the way back, definitely stop for a shave ice at Kokonuts at the Kokohead Marina, or Uncle Clays in Aina Haina Center.

Going to Hanauma Bay over a period of 40+ years, I can say that I’ve never spent less than 3 hours there. I know some people go in and out, but between watching the video, making your way to and from the beach, renting snorkeling gear, etc, it’s 45min to an hour just in non-activity time. And snorkeling, relaxing on the beach, and making your way over to the Toilet Bowl (which is now closed…😥) - all take time.

I would recommend separating them out, or getting to Hanauma Bay earlier in the day.

On the way back, definitely stop for a shave ice at Kokonuts at the Kokohead Marina, or Uncle Clays in Aina Haina Center.
Thank you - super helpful! Can you bring in your own snorkeling equipment and fins? We have rentals for the week from beach time and a prescription mask for my husband too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter