Ham Radio Operations on board ship...

kb1esx

David - "Growing older, not up"
Hi All,

Has anybody operated HF/VHF/UHF while on board? :confused3

Has anybody asked about seeing the ships 'shack'? :thumbsup2

Thanks & 73's

David

Never did that. I seem to remember that the regulations say that we must get permission from the Master of the ship? It might be fun although my wife would think I was even more crazy.

I would like to see the radio room though....73, Rick, KQ4Y

I once asked to see or get a tour of the area behind the front desk. I was in a suite on the Panama cruise and thought it would be cool to see that area where the concierge hangs out. It is forbidden in that area because they apparently have financial things there (as in money) and therefore NOBODY is allowed behind that scene. Never tried to pull strings anywhere else.
Bill

ricka47 said:
Never did that. I seem to remember that the regulations say that we must get permission from the Master of the ship? ......
I would like to see the radio room though....73, Rick, KQ4Y
This is correct. I can't quote paragraph numbers, but once you board the ship, you must have the Captains permission, even in US waters. I went on a bridge tour on the Wonder last year. According to the tour guide, ALL communications on the ship are from the bridge, through a computer terminal that routes traffic to appropriate transmitter.....the wonder of digital electronics. :teeth:

73's KD4WYB

Anyone can sign up and take the bridge tour. Unfortunately, since 9/11 things have gotten much tighter for DCL and all lines. The drydock last year significantly reduced guests ability to see what goes on on the bridge.

The indirect answer is "good luck" and "probably not."

I'm a physician, and met the ship's doc one evening. I was invited to tour the medical facility--very impressive. It seriously resembles a small ICU.

As a paramedic and an emergency medical dispatcher I'd love to see both the medical facility and the communiciations center. I don't cruise until September, so please let me know if you have any luck with touring either.

73's!

Daughter of K2RJ and N2AGQ (never got a license of my own.)

Definately need permission, and I would be surprised if you got it because of the potential of interference with the ships radio systems.

Would be nice to see the shack though :banana: 73's Mike N4EOL

It would be great to see the shack,

it would even be more fun to run a special event from the ship, but I dont see that happening anytime soon

Ed - N1HSH

This is about a year late but I will give it a shot.
In the past the QE2 and several other cruise ships provided a ham radio to licensed amateurs to make QSL's from on board ship.
I was in Bolivia working one year and made a 20 meter contact with a ham on the QE2.
When I returned home I had a nice QSL card waiting for me from the QE2 which was provided by the ship as well.
Possibly the Disney lines has a similar program??
I would definitely ask as soon as I boarded.
You can bet I will on my Disney Cruise.
Theo
KC5SEB

As a paramedic and an emergency medical dispatcher I'd love to see both the medical facility and the communiciations center. I don't cruise until September, so please let me know if you have any luck with touring either.

73's!

Daughter of K2RJ and N2AGQ (never got a license of my own.)

I would doubt the communications part, but I know we've had medical folks here that have stopped by and were given a tour of the medical facilities on board.

Anyone can sign up and take the bridge tour.

Previous to the drydock, the CD told us that the bridge tours were no longer going to be given, due to the fact that the walkway is now part of the spa.

Any info?

Post 9/11 they stopped the enngine room tours as well, pretty sure that most of these "cool" areas are now off limits for good.

Hi All,

Has anybody operated HF/VHF/UHF while on board? :confused3

Has anybody asked about seeing the ships 'shack'? :thumbsup2

Thanks & 73's

David

I operated on The Magic during the Transatlantic Crossing.

A ) You need a Bahamian license Since the ship is Bahamian registry(reciprocal license was $25 as I recall and took about 4 weeks to process. )
b ) You should have a letter from Disney HQ
C ) You need to let guest services photocopy your US license , Bahamian License and the letter from Disney for presentation to the Captain or his designate.
D ) you will get a voice mail in a day giving permission.

I worked from my balcony and the aft sun deck on level 7

I use the power plug behind the TV in the room and there were standard outlets on the sun deck.

Setup was an Astron SS-30M, Icom IC-7000 into a Lil TarHeels II screwdriver with 56 inch whip.

On May 17th (about half way across the Atlantic Conditions finally opened up to Europe on 17 and 20 M and I worked a number of stations in Italy Spain and Germany.

Conditions were best on the 19th just before we reached the Canary Islands but being a Saturday contesting had the bands packed and my weak signal got only a couple takers. One was the only contact state side I managed on the trip over.

This was my first DXpedition experience and family took most of my time on board so I only managed a few hours on the air. Still it was a great experience and a more experienced Ham would probably have better success.

I assumed that post 911 there was no way to visit the radio operator or radio shack on board. In the digital age the wireless room might be rather sparse and rarely used or even nonexistent.

For my money, there is a Disney Radio Studio in the forward funnel on deck 10. It is rarely used and for very little cost Disney could provide an Amateur radio and a multi band dipole between the stacks.

I did ask if they have many ham operators seeking permission and was told I was the first. Not sure you can take that to the bank but it was nice to hear in any case.

Richard AI4RN

It's late but when I have a moment I'll shrink some of the photos and post them.

Definately need permission, and I would be surprised if you got it because of the potential of interference with the ships radio systems.

Surprise!

BTW standard 120V outlets were all over the ship ready for use, extension cord and all.

BalconyAntennaH1.JPG

Horizontal Antenna orientation seemed to work best. I modified the magnetic mount to add a ground strap connector so I could ground the radio at the antenna base. They keep the ship well painted. Finding bare metal was a challenge. Maybe I would have been better on a poorly maintained ship.

BalconyAntennaV1.JPG

Vertical mounting did not give as good a match or performance. Probably because of the proximity to other metal in the balcony.

BalconyAntennaV2.JPG

Second view of Vertical mounting

BalconyRadioSetup2.JPG

Radio and PC. The PC is running a program I wrote for the cruise to calculate the midway point on the ocean crossing. A small USB GPS antenna was also placed on the balcony.

BalconyRadioSetup1.JPG

Overall view of my on-board Ham Shack

HamDeck7antenna2.JPG

I only set up once on the back of the ship. The bands were dead that day and all my further attempts were made from my cabin. If I had more free time, Disney keeps you busy, I would have liked to try the same setup when the bands were open. The antenna had the fewest obstructions back there and it would have been interesting to see if there was any performance advantage.

HamDeck7Antenna.JPG

Another view

HamDeck7Radio.JPG

Radio setup

HamDeck7Setup.JPG

Another view

Wow, Kissimmee! After seeing photos of your ham shack, I'm sure there will be other hams just dying to set up their gear onboard. Too bad the bands weren't more active during your cruise.
73's from a former ham

Wow, Kissimmee! After seeing photos of your ham shack, I'm sure there will be other hams just dying to set up their gear onboard. Too bad the bands weren't more active during your cruise.
73's from a former ham

I'll participate in a ham cruise in a heart beat. I should call Disney and see if they would be interested...

Going on Eastern Caribean Cruise in Sept. on Magic. Would like to at least take Handhelds for use with IRLP repeaters in St. Thomas and Maybe Saint Martin.
How does one contact Disney HQ? I'd like permission for at least VFH/UHF ops. Beats using FRS radios as girlfriend is a Ham also.
Already learned about Handhelds and ignorant Security guards at NASA tour.
(See QRZ.com archives)
Tom Popp

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter