Half Marathon - Train with me for Jan '11 - ...Shock - an update! 4/06! new pix

Sandy321

<font color=darkorchid>Crazy enough to want to do
I keep hijacking other trip reports :rolleyes1 So I thought I'd do the honorable thing and start one myself!!

:wave: Disney friends and planners!

This is a trip report - and a training blog!

ME: I'm old, out of shape, and wanting to go back to Disney!
DH: not so old ;) not so out of shape - and will go back to Disney if he can run the marathon and Half - he's Goofy!
DD: 12 - almost 13.... something's happened in the last few weeks since schools started... she's matured!! Its really frightening... she probably will go to Disney with us!!
DS #1 : 24yrs old and just married... couldnt talk them into spending their 1st yr anniversary in Disney - they were'nt too excited about the running part!!
DS#2: 21 yrs - had a trauma - not sure how, probably a fall before school started, ended up in the hospital for 10 days - lots of OT, PT, and T... miracles happen, and he's back in school - in fact HIS goal was to do the Chicago Triathlon in August - he succeeded!!

So a few weeks before my 1st born marries, DH and I are at Uof I trying to figure out if DS #2 will even be released from the hospital - nerve wracking...

Part of being discharged from that hospital, and before becoming an outpatient at the hospital near our home - we met with a social worker - they werent sure if DS would regain his memory, his ability to read, and write - so often this kind of thing can break up a marriage - and she wanted us to "set a goal"

DH and I looked at each other - "Disney Jan '10 Marathon" :wizard: I would say dh is "not the Disney type" but I think he has been "won over" by the magic of our previous trips!!

We did the weekend in '08 - DH cheered for the Half, and I threw him in with the WISH Scream Team - he enjoyed the people on the WISH team - (he never posts!! ) but wanted to do the Goofy!

(save deleting signature - FACE YOUR FEARS Half Marathon Pre-Trip Report link[/COLOR]

Now as you can see from my signiture, we've done the "Marathon" before...

I am by no means a healthy person, I mean well... I know what I should do... but I'm old, fat, and lazy...

so I'm in worse shape today than I was in '08
Sandyruncrop.jpg

DH and DD are in better shape:
MeaganandTimHolly005.jpg

Isnt he cute? I keep teasing saying he's my new boyfriend!! He looks so much younger!! (DD and I keep trying to talk him into growing his beard back - but...

he was laid off - and we think he may have a better chance at a job sans beard)

DD hair - she wanted something different for summer!! She's back to all brown now for school - but that red hair was easy to spot in crowds! LOL

What got me to the finish line in '08 was this miracle called WISH Boards on the Dis -

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=109
WISH = We're Inspired to Stay Healthy

I bought the bright neon shirt that says
Motto: DLF>DNF>>DNS (Dead Last Finish is better than Did Not Finish which greatly trumps Did Not Start), WISH gave me the courage to start.
and there is a feather - like in the movie Dumbo - Dumbo holds onto a feather to have the courage to fly - I need that feather!! :goodvibes

John Penquin Bingham is the inspiration - he's famous for getting people to just get out there - so what if you "waddle" more like a Penguin?

You might be a penguin if...

--you have to politely (for the third time) tell the men in the police car moving behind you that No you do not wish a ride.

--you wear your jog bra on top of your singlet. This is especially true if you are male.

--during a race, you keep turning around to see if there is still anybody behind you.

--the rest of the pack is out of sight before you've run 100 yards.

--you meet both the hare AND the tortoise running back towards you doing their cool-down after a race.

--the only reason you don't drop out of a race is that you're embarrassed that the police in the car behind you (closing the course) will see you.

--as you're rounding the corner onto Main Street and the finish line, you overhear the announcer on a microphone to the crowd of 500 saying "we are ASSURED the young lady IS coming in!" (Oh well, at least I was young).

--you recognize all the regular runners on your favorite route from behind.

--you get passed on the uphill by a runner pushing a double baby jog stroller.
--you shoot a 24-shot roll of film during a marathon.

--you make arrangements for a late checkout at the hotel.

--you are more worried about the porta-potty lines than the start line.

--your support crew talks about meeting you for supper, not lunch.

--you have to memorize the route because you know that you will lose the back of the pack.

--the truck picking up the cones is pressing on your behind. (Don't laugh—this actually happened to me! John B.)

--as you pass a course volunteer they ask you, "How many are behind you yet?" and you say "Behind me? Behind? Gosh ... I think two ... Unless they turned around!"

--the awards ceremony is over before you cross the finish line.

- - so you see - YOU (and me!!) are NOT Alone!! The Wish Board may seem overwhelming - lots of people.... but truly - they want to help - the first post would be the weekly thread - or start a new thread -

just, come join me - have the courage to start!! :wizard:

I meet many of those on the list!! :rotfl2:

The police car:
IMG_0136.jpg

this was from the Chicago Shamrock Shuffle - a 10K - I barely kept ahead of the police car - anyone behind him had to be "swept" off the course! I was close to being swept - but right where I took this was the turn off to the finish line!

Taking pictures during the Half Marathon:
IMG_4014-1.jpg

IMG_4033.jpg

IMG_4019.jpg

IMG_4011.jpg

I took pictures of the clock - and I just added the time from mile 4 to mile 5 - I was too slow!

Next time - NO MORE PICTURES!

I do NOT want to be swept in Disney.

I want to be an "official" finisher!

So we have challenges!!

First is signing up for the Marathon - dh loves to run marathons, but he really wanted to run the Goofy this time around - run the Half 13.1 miles, then the next day run the Marathon 13.2 miles - now that's Goofy!! :rotfl2:

Since it sells out fast - we registered - so we were officially on the list for Jan Marathon weekend! :faint:

I MUST... train...

If we are going, we wanted to stay at an Epcot resort!! In '08 we went without DD - and DD wanted to stay at the Beach Club... the place we stayed in '08 - more info in my signature links

IMG_3993.jpg

She gave us her panda to take pictures for her while we were gone in '08 - - she also wrote dh letters!!
(notice this DH has a beard! *G he's still cute to me!!)

So... off to the DVC resort rent/trade board...

and we have reservations!! AT BCV!!
:cool1:

To rent from a member is a huge deal of trust....
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1709083
required reading - its a lot of reading!

But I have a lot of faith, and trust!!

Sandy - Nice start to your pre-trip report!!!

You just need an accountability partner for your training! I can't run, but I have been trying to exercise every day and have been exercising nearly every day for the past couple months :goodvibes

Good luck Sandy. I'll be doing my first marathon the next day.

Sandy - Nice start to your pre-trip report!!!

You just need an accountability partner for your training! I can't run, but I have been trying to exercise every day and have been exercising nearly every day for the past couple months :goodvibes

Moo I'm trying to get my brain wrapped around that one 'thing' - - accountability!! I think there is something seriously wrong with me....

Thanks for being here Moo!! :goodvibes

Good luck Sandy. I'll be doing my first marathon the next day.

Now that's just nutz!!!

Seriously - GOOD LUCK!

Are you part of the WISH team? They will truly add a level of push you wont even know you need till you round a corner and they are there! My DH isnt an online guy (he is a software engineer!!) and he has run marathons a couple of times...

but he is still in awe of the power of the WISH scream Team!!

So, I left off with Faith, and Trust - and the Pixie Dust!! :wizard:

When I first found the Disboards I kept reading about this "pixie dust" stuff - dd was 8 or 9 at the time - and into the Libby Lo store thing - they had this glitter stuff - was that this mysterious "pixie dust?" Well then, I must go get some!!

So I bought, and brought a bag of "pixie dust" to WDW on our first trip! :rotfl2: Luckily for me, I may be weird, but I embrace it, and dh doesnt mind my weirdness - he claims to have a weirdness about him :confused3 DD may be in trouble... she can quote Monty Python, Space Balls, and loves the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - is that 'weird'?

BTW that bag of "pixie dust" lucky for me the CM's thought it charming - they would ask me for some - I would give them a handful in a ziplock bag!!

IMG_1257.jpg

IMG_0881.jpg

we're in trouble now!!

I followed you over from Maroo & All7OfUs PTR's.

Gong to Disney in the first week of March the last 2 years, we have heard about the Princess 1/2. My DW has stated that someday she would like to run in it, so I am curious to what it takes to run and just to learn about it.

Great start!:goodvibes

Tim

Now that's just nutz!!!

Seriously - GOOD LUCK!

Are you part of the WISH team? They will truly add a level of push you wont even know you need till you round a corner and they are there! My DH isnt an online guy (he is a software engineer!!) and he has run marathons a couple of times...

but he is still in awe of the power of the WISH scream Team!!

Thanks. I'm not part of the WISH team. I've lurked over there and have asked a question or two but that's about it.

I am totally in on your trip report!!! So glad I "found" you!

Hi Suellen - arent you supposed to be in Disney? I think you are going to have a fabulous trip!! Cant wait to hear all about it!!

I followed you over from Maroo & All7OfUs PTR's.

Gong to Disney in the first week of March the last 2 years, we have heard about the Princess 1/2. My DW has stated that someday she would like to run in it, so I am curious to what it takes to run and just to learn about it.

Great start!:goodvibes

Tim

I loved your trip report on the character breakfasts! I've sent people from the restaurant board to check it out!! For the Princess run - do what I tell Dolce - GO to the WISH board/ event/comp

Thanks. I'm not part of the WISH team. I've lurked over there and have asked a question or two but that's about it.

It has grown so large - I'm quite the talker on the boards, but at meets, I shrink and disappear - but I knew it would take something special to get me across the finish line without being "swept" so I made dh buy us a couple of hats and shirts to identify ourselves -

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&f=109

You can get a hat order in now till Sept 30th!
It will be the best $10 you will EVER spend!! I cant explain to you the heart of the WISH team - it just IS - -

On Friday before the Half everyone from the WISH team gathers at the POP I think around 4- 5pm people bring 'stuff' - they post things for instance it was the cow bells at the Target $1 spot - - and at 6:30 am when I rounded that first bend and heard those bells - it was AWESOME!!

Disney does big events very well! At every mile there is some 'excitement' music, dj's, cheerleaders - characters at the MK - its just wonderful!!

So I better figure out this schedule!! I mentioned that John Bingham (His book Marathoning for Mortals is excellent) is very wise when it comes to getting into your head - its so hard to get in the right frame of mind!!

Jeff Galloway also has a very well thought out program - a great book -
http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/index.html

But I think I keep going back to Hal Higdon - maybe its because DH raced with him once? He's old school sure, but his schedule is easy to read and doable..

Its just a 12 week schedule...
Long Runs: The key to getting ready to finish a Half Marathon is the long run, progressively increasing in distance each weekend. Over a period of 12 weeks, your longest run will increase from 3 to 10 miles. Don't worry about making the final jump from 10 miles in practice to 13.1 miles in the race.

Inspiration will carry you to the finish line, particularly if you taper the final week. The schedule below suggests doing your long runs on Saturdays, but you can do them Sundays, or any other convenient day, as long as you are consistent.

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

Monday - Week 1 Strength
Strength training could consist of push-ups, pull-ups, use of free weights or working out with various machines at a health club. Runners generally benefit if they combine light weights with a high number of repetitions, rather than pumping very heavy iron. I also suggest that you strength train following your Thursday workouts, however you can schedule strength training on any two convenient days

I have to start.

I have to do this for me. Every Day!

Jeff Galloway has the run/walk method - and I have to get to 16min miles...
Run-walk-run ratio should correspond to the pace used (Runners).
8 min/mi—run 4 min/walk 35 seconds
9 min/mi— 4 min run-1 min walk
10 min/mi—-3:1
11 min/mi—2:30-1
12 min/mi—-2:1
13 min/mi—-1:1
14 min/mi—30 sec run/30 sec walk
15 min/mi—30 sec/45 sec
16 min/mi—30 sec/60 s

Bingham's Programs are in Runners World Magazine - I highly recommend picking up this magazine!
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-380-381-386-9397-0,00.html
check out the left hand side for more articles..

3. Expect bad days. Everyone has them, but they pass quickly, and the next workout is often better than the previous one. So stick with the program.

4. Don't rush. In the fitness world, rushing leads to injuries and discouragement. Be patient, and go slow. The goal is to reach 30 minutes of continuous running, not to set any records getting there.

Week 1

"Sit as little as possible. Give no credence to any thought that was not born outdoors while moving about freely."
--Friedrich Nietzsche
Wk Mon Tues Weds Thurs Fri Sat Sun

check out page 2 for his schedule - its very practical for a beginner.

Training tip:
To fuel up for your workout, have a piece of fruit or an energy bar about 2 hours before you lace up your shoes. An hour later, drink 8 ounces of a sports drink. The drink will ensure that you are fully hydrated, and also that you have sufficient sodium and potassium for a healthy workout.

I am here! I am here!!

What got me to the finish line in '08 was this miracle called WISH Boards on the Dis -

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=109
WISH = We're Inspired to Stay Healthy

I bought the bright neon shirt that says
Motto: DLF>DNF>>DNS (Dead Last Finish is better than Did Not Finish which greatly trumps Did Not Start), WISH gave me the courage to start.

John Penquin Bingham is the inspiration - he's famous for getting people to just get out there - so what if you "waddle" more like a Penguin?

You might be a penguin if...

you have to politely (for the third time) tell the men in the police car moving behind you that No you do not wish a ride.
you wear your jog bra on top of your singlet. This is especially true if you are male.
during a race, you keep turning around to see if there is still anybody behind you.
the rest of the pack is out of sight before you've run 100 yards.
you meet both the hare AND the tortoise running back towards you doing their cool-down after a race.
the only reason you don't drop out of a race is that you're embarrassed that the police in the car behind you (closing the course) will see you.
as you're rounding the corner onto Main Street and the finish line, you overhear the announcer on a microphone to the crowd of 500 saying "we are ASSURED the young lady IS coming in!" (Oh well, at least I was young).
you recognize all the regular runners on your favorite route from behind.
you get passed on the uphill by a runner pushing a double baby jog stroller.
you shoot a 24-shot roll of film during a marathon.
you make arrangements for a late checkout at the hotel.
you are more worried about the porta-potty lines than the start line.
your support crew talks about meeting you for supper, not lunch.
you have to memorize the route because you know that you will lose the back of the pack.
the truck picking up the cones is pressing on your behind. (Don't laugh—this actually happened to me!)
as you pass a course volunteer they ask you, "How many are behind you yet?" and you say "Behind me? Behind? Gosh ... I think two ... Unless they turned around!"
the awards ceremony is over before you cross the finish line.

These are all hilarious!

I have one to add...

you're running and your neighbor passes you while walking and she is talking on her cell phone :rotfl:

Your TR from your half-marathon really inspired me to start...really.

And now I am so behind. I need to be kicked in the rear...so maybe this will work?????

Hmm.... :scratchin

I even avoid the WISH area... :blush: :sad2: :rolleyes1

:maroo: I'm hoping this will get my rear in gear too!! 3 miles at a time... I'm at a comfortable 2 miles 15min miles...

and I'm completely understand about being passed by walkers!! In '08 when I was losing ground, trying my hardest NOT to be swept at mile 10 (I had read that was the "LAST" sweep point) and there was a large group scattered along the masses wearing shirts that read:

I walk with Jesus - or something... all I knew was I couldnt keep up with Jesus - and I lost it!!

I'm determined to do better this go round!!

One day at a time!!

:cool1: I get to work today!! I better head over to substitute First grade!

I walk with Jesus - or something... all I knew was I couldnt keep up with Jesus - and I lost it!!

Awww! :grouphug:

I don't know about you...but I figure each of us can walk with Jesus at our own pace! :thumbsup2

If I can just get BETTER...then I can look into getting my booty in gear!

I can't wait to hear all about your training. I'm contemplating running the Princess Marathon in March, but am a bit paranoid about being swept. I'm really, really slow! :)

Hi Sandy
Your last marathon trip report was one I read before I decided to do the one in 2010. Maroo sent me to it. Great trip report by the way. I will be there in 2010. I don't run, but walk and I have been training for this since March. Thanks for posting all the tips. Seems I am doing some of it right. I am up to 7.5 miles at 14.25 per minute.
Looking forward to seeing you there.
Lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter