Hairstyle for school pictures

Merriwind

Always looking for an excuse to go to WDW...
Hi all-

School pictures are next Tuesday. I'm looking for some ideas for DD9's hair. She has long, very thick, wavy hair, about halfway down her back. It's all one length, except for her bangs. She wears it in a single braid everyday after two years of a ponytail everday. She NEVER wears her hair down. It is very thick and heavy. It winds up all over her face and neck, makes her hot and sweaty and gets tangled and wild immediately.

Last year for school pictures, we tried putting only the top half back with the rest down. It practically needed to be cut off when she got home. Plus, it just looked all pulled back in the photo and since they take it straight on, she just looked like a face with bangs. A friend of mine who is a photographer suggested putting her hair in a ponytail, but off center in the back. This way, it will hang over one side of her shoulder. My friend took some photos of DD like that for something this summer and it looked very cute. DD doesn't want to spend the day with a lopsided hairstyle though. Photos aren't until just before lunch, so I need an idea with some staying power too.

Any ideas would be great!

Hey sounds like she has beautiful hair. How about pulling it up on top to the side in a ponytail with some curls hanging down around the back and sides. Just a thought.:flower3:

ok now don't jump all over me for saying this...but why does your daughter have long hair if it is so hard to manage and only worn in a ponytail/braid? I love long hair too and it sounds like your daughter has beautiful hair, but I would suggest having it cut to a shorter length that would be manageable (maybe not before pictures though). Locks of Love is a great orginization that she could donate her beautiful locks to.

Is it long enough to braid it, and then have her push the braid over her shoulder to avoid the face with bangs effect.
What about two braids over each shoulder?

I can relate. DD13 has gorgeous super thick hair with some wave to it & constantly puts it up. I've said the same as above poster, why have it if you don't wear it down. Anyway, she does & we just deal with it.

How about a low pony at the nape of the neck that she can pull over her shoulder for the pic. A headband & run a thin layer of gel over her hair to hold it down that morning. Pull the top back in a pony & leave the sides down over her ears & back. Good luck, I know it's not easy to manage!

My dd has hair that is past her arm pit. she too has thick wavy( curly) hair all one length accept a bangs they are finally able to tuck behind her ear!
I take her hair when she gets pictures done like from directly behind her ear and part it to the other ear. I do a partial updo and put it in a pony tail that section of hair and then curl all the hair and to get it to hold I use "Hot Sets " by Redken. curl all the pony tail then take the curls and break them apart and use bobby pins to place the curls in a up do. Its really easy to do and looks cute keeps her hair out of her eyes too. then after pictures she can take the pins out if she wants and just have a pony tail thats got some extra curl.

I know its hard to manage my dd has very hard to maintain hair but I have gotten good at keeping it under control considering she is only 4 I can not exspect much from her. she sleeps with braids at night in her hair, we use silk drops to help with controling the curls and keep frizz down in the humidity.
She loves her long hair and does not want it cut.
keeping the knots under control are the hardest but again i have gotten good at it over time.

As far as getting it cut short..... thick curly hair will just look bigger and be harder to handle. Maybe put a few LIGHT layers just enough to add some shape would help. Not sure what else to tell you really .. again more layers bigger hair so to aviod more work try to limit the layering if you can or just enough to give it some shape.

grow the bangs and get some cool head bands and barettes maybe ??

I have struggled with this too. My daughter and I are growing our hair for locks of love and we both have thick wavy tangle prone hair. I drown my daughter's hair in product. I found that some anti-friz serums have worked pretty good. Basically when she does wear her hair down it ends up looking greasy from all the product so like you it is usually up. So updos it is. Here are some ideas we use to mix it up.

1)Loose princess leia's. Two side pony's than you twist the hair around just like you would to make a bun but instead of bobbypinning it down all neat and tidy you use another elastic or two across the bun and let the ends stick up and be "poky" like Phoebe on friends.

2)Hair bands are all the rage now. Especially the ones that look like scarfs. She's been wearing hairbands with low ponytails or single braids.

3) We also like to put her front hair into a big barette on top of her head to add some height by twisting the hair before clipping it into the barette and than a low pony.

4)French braids, either one on top or two. I've gotton real good at this. Sometimes I do them the opposite way adding new hair under.

5)For fun my daughter will wear two braids bobbypinned to the top of her head like Heidi in the swiss alps.

6)French Twist or Roll. Like they did in the little house in the prairie series. I roll the hair on either side of her face and keep it in place with bobbypins and than do a pony or a bun at the back.

7)Take a look at the BBB boutique designs where they twist little rows of hair. Or add fake hair.

Hope any of these give you some ideas. As you can probably tell my daughter and I have some fun with her hairstyles.

The offset pony tail is a style.
My daughters hair is halfway over her butt, so thick and naturals waves. Gosh what did we eat when we were all pg?

But my daughter grew out her bangs, pulls it all back into a pony tail or braid. Last year she pulled a center pony tail over her shoulder to show in the pictures. It looked short for some reason but at least some hair style appearance, not all face no hair.

But she ahs work it when below the shoulders off center and with some thingy's in it., the fake tiny braids, tiny clip with a thin ribbon.

This year Again I will beg her to wear it loose and then she can pull it back after the picture, she will be 12 soon.

I remember paying $3.05 to $5.95 for older kids school pictures. I saw this time they are about $40 for a package.
Oh, gosh I hope tomorrow is not picture day....I never saw the date and daughter said she did not know last week/ ERGH!
Oh, a little spray and med to lg size barrel curling iron gives lift and dresses the bags. Also a few loose strands at ears to curl into a twist, loose corkscrew .
dianne

What about two messy buns above each ear?

Messy Bun
Messy buns look great, and are really fast and easy to do. Looks great at any occasion.
Here's how you do it:

1. Put you hair in two ponytails.
2. Face your head down and scatter your evenly to make a circle. Then tie an elastic around the middle of that. After you do that it will kinda look like you have a small donut with hair sticking out from the back of it in all directions.
Then stick all the hair that is sticking out into the elastic that you tied in #2.

or

Two French Braids with Flip Things
This hairstyle works best with shoulder length hair or a bit longer hair.
Part your hair in the middle and make two backward french braids with all your hair. Once you get to the bottom of your head when you can't french braid it anymore tie a small elastic. Do that for both braids. Then take the two pigtails like things you created and flip them up and cross them once on the back of your head. Then put a big clip or lots of bobby pins about half way up the pig0tails so that some of the hair seems to be flipping out.

Thanks all for the great ideas. Maybe we'll play with hair a little after school today. I'm not great with hairdos (mine is gel and go), so I really appreciate the instructions!

To those who suggest cutting. I hear you and I've suggested it. She wants it long though. Plus, she plays basketball and golf and has outside recess everyday in FL, so pulling it back is a good thing and isn't difficult. I just want to see some of her hair for the photos. When she's older, can take care of her mane and wants to, we will definitely cut--and donate--some of her hair.

Thanks again. I finally got one of the offset pony photo on as a new avatar. You can't see a lot of her hair, but you can see she has hair.

I'd go for letting her wear a braid, resting on her shoulder. If that's how she usually wears her hair, maybe you should just capture that look for her picture. She has YEARS to wear her hair long, up, down, whatever, but as she gets older, she most likely will wear fewer and fewer braids. Soon she won't want to wear braids at all then you'll wonder how your baby grew up so fast! Good luck on your decision!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter