Hair Braiding

Sinderelly

Princess
Has anyone had their hair braided in port? or on the ship? What are the prices? I'd love to get micro braids. I'm just a kid at heart. :dance3:

My daughter had her hair braided in Castaway Cay...she had medium length hair and they braided the top, leaving the back down. It was around $60 with the tip. It stayed in for a couple of weeks...she wore it to school when we returned home.

Definately do this through Disney, either on board or in Castaway Cay.
My daughter had hers done in Nassau, (not by a disney worker) and I was SHOCKED at how much we were charged. MY daughter didn't have much hair as it had just started growing back, (she was on Chemo treatment) It was only about two inches long at the back of her neck, and all she wanted was a little row across the back of her neck. I can't remember exactly how much we were charged, I only remember the shock, and then the more shock when I spoke with another family who's daughter had her whole head of hair done on board the ship at way way less than what I had paid.
Learning lesson for our next trip.

I think it's also cleaner when done through DCL.

Here is a pic of the pricing on Castaway Cay:

DCLOctober2008162-3.jpg

And on the ship:
DCLOctober2008111-3.jpg

DD has shoulder length hair. She put 6 braids with beads in it. This wasn't the cornrows on the crown of her head but just regular braids. They were $1 per braid. So a total of $6 and I just rounded it up to $10. I know it was a big tip but I really planned on paying at least $20. I thought I was getting a bargain. :thumbsup2

In my humble opinion: :goodvibes
We only get the girls' hair braided at Castaway Cay or on the ship.
Personally, saving a bit of money is not worth my girls' taking the chance of getting lice (or anything else) by getting it done in the ports of call.
It lasted them a long time. A month or 2.

Thank you so much for the replies! Has anyone had a whole head of braids? If so, how much did that cost? I am trying to budget for this instead of a spa treatment. I had my hair braided in Freeport once. It was $40 for a whole head of braids and that included beads. I found a Haitian lady on the beach. It took her 4 hours and was pretty painful. I gave her a $10 tip which made her VERY happy!! I wore the braids for 6 weeks. :headache:

I am a cruise newbie (we are going for the first time in May). When you get your hair braided (I have 3 DD), how do you wash it in order to leave in it for that long??

My daughters both had their hair done on the ship. I thought the price was very reasonable and I felt more comfortable with that. As a bonus, I made an appointment for the first day so that their hair was easy to deal with the rest of the trip. Plus, in port, no one was pestering us about getting their hair done! Here are some pics of my daughters hair.

043.jpg
[/IMG]

080.jpg
[/IMG]

One thing to note is that my one daughter (the first one) had a hard time sleeping the first night because the beads hurt her head. After the first night she didn't have any problems.

Astempel I just shampooed my hair in the shower braids and all. It does really well. It just takes some time to dry. I had ALL my hair braided. It does make the head sore for a day or so. It's really nice for vacation, swimming, wind etc. You don't have to do a thing to your hair. You can leave hair dryers, curling irons, hairspray at home! I had to gets used to the noise of the beads "clacking" when I turned my head.

Thank you for sharing the photos Scrapgirl3. Your DDs hair is cute!

I have the feeling I may be the only adult doing this. :rotfl:

I'll echo the above who said do it on the ship or on Castaway. These people have properly sanitized equipment, set charges, etc.

The people in Nassau were somewhat less aggressive this year than we'd experienced in the past. However....one experience several years ago was enough to convince me to stay away from them. We were told $2 per braid. DD got one braid, and the woman wanted $10 (which I ended up paying just to get away from her!) She tried to claim that the beads were extra--I can get pony beads for a penny each at any craft store. Then she tried to say that my daughter's hair was "very long. DD was 5 and the hair was shoulder length.

DD loved the braid, it lasted 6-8 weeks...but I wouldn't do it again outside of Disney!

Astempel I just shampooed my hair in the shower braids and all. It does really well. It just takes some time to dry. I had ALL my hair braided. It does make the head sore for a day or so. It's really nice for vacation, swimming, wind etc. You don't have to do a thing to your hair. You can leave hair dryers, curling irons, hairspray at home! I had to gets used to the noise of the beads "clacking" when I turned my head.

Thank you for sharing the photos Scrapgirl3. Your DDs hair is cute!

I have the feeling I may be the only adult doing this. :rotfl:

You're not the only adult wanting braids. I wanted to do this the last time we were down there but didn't get the opportunity. I am definately planning on it this time around. Nothing says you've been to the carribean like a head full of braids.

I had DD’s done is Nassau and if I had to do it over again I would have had it done on the ship or CC. We picked this lady to do it (thinking it would have been done where we were) but she ended up walking us someplace in town. I was never so scared in my life. I forgot what we paid but it did not compensate for the temporary panic I endured.:rotfl:

Another adult here interested in braids. I just want a few. Does anyone have pictures of a few (2-4) braids? I'm trying to picture what would look best. My hair is relatively short (above my shoulders) and is thinner in the front/sides than the back. I am concerned about getting too many braids with thinner hair (how it will look, hair loss when removed, etc.). Any advice? Thanks!

Has anyone had their hair braided in port? or on the ship? What are the prices? I'd love to get micro braids. I'm just a kid at heart. :dance3:

i have been to the bahamas many times ( the cruise just once) they are called cornrows. also i can not stress enough the need to put sunscreen on the scalp!!! also it may be a little tough to sleep on the first night but they loosen up.

Samily, thanks for the current pricing. I was wondering if it had changed. :)

My DD had this done (on the ship both times) when she was 4 and 7. Cornrows to the crown of her head both times. It was somewhere in the neighborhood of $35 with a nice tip. It's been 3-1/2 years, so maybe $40 now?

A couple of things to know:

• It does often feel tender at first. We learned a dose of Children's Tylenol the first evening with them helped a lot.
  • As a PP said, definitely sunscreen the scalp between the braids.
  • How long it stays in depends on how fast your hair grows. My DD's grows very fast, and she had them in for about 3 weeks.
  • When you take them out, you will see a LOT of hair coming out. This is normal. None of the hair you would normally lose can escape.
  • Liberal amounts of conditioner or detangler helps the removal process.

I had DD’s done is Nassau and if I had to do it over again I would have had it done on the ship or CC. We picked this lady to do it (thinking it would have been done where we were) but she ended up walking us someplace in town. I was never so scared in my life. I forgot what we paid but it did not compensate for the temporary panic I endured.:rotfl:

That happened to me on my honeymoon in Jamaica several years ago. It scared me to death and I will never do that again!!! We were whisked off to some tents behind the shops in Montego Bay. DH was cool but I was scared. Hairbraiding will only be done at resorts, on ships or CC. I did have my girls' hairbraided in 2001 at CC and the only suggestion I will make is to have conditioner! The girls' hair was knotty prior to braiding so there were lots of tears.

That happened to me on my honeymoon in Jamaica several years ago. It scared me to death and I will never do that again!!! We were whisked off to some tents behind the shops in Montego Bay. DH was cool but I was scared. Hairbraiding will only be done at resorts, on ships or CC. I did have my girls' hairbraided in 2001 at CC and the only suggestion I will make is to have conditioner! The girls' hair was knotty prior to braiding so there were lots of tears.

DH took off thinking we were getting it done where we were at. He didn’t realize we were going someplace else. I thought maybe the next shop or someplace by where we were at..Wrong. I was terrified.:scared1: DD and I were talking about our upcoming trip and she begged to have it done on the ship this time.:lmao:

I got a few done on the top of my DD6's head (on the ship) I paid about $25. I felt so bad though. I talked her into it, and the poor thing cried almost the entire 15 mins.:guilty: I probably won't be able to talk her into getting them on our next trip. :scared1: Although she loved them the next day and when we went to take them out when we got home she cried:guilty: because she didn't want them out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter