Hair braiding on Magic

3cookgirls

Earning My Ears
Do they someone to do the hair braiding on the Magic? If so, where are they located? Thanks!!

When we went last year they had a lady there that did hair braiding. She had a cart on the lido deck. We had to make an appt for my DD. we got the hair braided on the second last night. My DD wanted to have it look good for when she went back to school. After a week the hair gets fuzzy looking as it starts to come out of the braids. My DH said all the girls on the ship were starting to look the same lol.

The hair braiding carts are on the pool deck for each of the ships. They are usually positioned close to the family pool.

Be sure to tell them how many braids you are willing to pay for before they start. ;)

Be sure to tell them how many braids you are willing to pay for before they start. ;)

Good advice - thanks! I wonder how many braids we'll need...one daughter has hair past shoulder length and the other has hair past waist.

dramadeb said:
Good advice - thanks! I wonder how many braids we'll need...one daughter has hair past shoulder length and the other has hair past waist.

The length of hair won't matter. The braids are just across the front half of the scalp.

There are 2 different types of braiding that can be done and they are charged differently. Cornrows are $2 each and plain braids are $1 each.
They used to charge an extra 50¢ per braid for longer than shoulder length, do they not do that anymore?

They did have it last week on the Magic - I wouldn't let my daughter do it so I don't know how much it cost but it was located right by the Cove Cafe. She wanted it but I was being picky and didn't want her hair in braids for our pictures - I know - selfish!! Anyway she can't wear it to school and would have had to take it out Sunday anyway. But it was there.

I guess I'd better be prepared to shell out $2 / braid... I know DD will see that and want it!

Here is my DD with her braids- all they will do is the front scalp part. The whole thing cost us $20 and we got it done the first night, Saturday. This was taken on about the 4th day. They lasted a very long time, I think about 4 weeks, before we had to finally take them out. BTW, my DD is pretty tough, but she was in pain the whole time, so prepare your daughters that it's gonna hurt!

393527_183501481741092_642797958_n.jpg

A couple of weeks ago on the wonder, they were charging $2.00 for braiding + .50 for longer hair and 3.00 for corn rows (pic below.)

The woman who was doing the braids was also *very* busy. I would recommend getting an appointment early - you can always cancel if you change your mind.

photo_zpsc08932a4.jpg

I got cornrows last year (and I'm 34!). One word of advice - make sure you put tons of sunscreen on your DD's scalp. I didn't do that and I was in P-A-I-N from sunburn.

Just a note that cornrow braiding can really hurt. I saw some girls crying as it was getting done, and the mother was distressed. We were on the Disney Dream this past weekend, and my 9 and 6 year old daughters wanted the braids, but I was skeptical as I didn't want two crying girls on my hands. The girls begged me, so off we went to find "The Braid Lady." She was on the pool deck 11, only during certain hours. We went at 5:30pm, right before our dinner seating. The lady was very nice. She had a book that showed different types of braids. All the examples were of cornrows, but then I saw what looked like regular braids, but "dressed up" because there were beads woven into them. Bingo! Both my girls got 2 plain braids each, one braid on each side of their heads, with pretty beads that they picked out themselves. No cornrows. No crying. And very cheap: I paid $8 total for both girls together, plus I gave a $2 gratuity. And my girls are thrilled. They don't see the difference between the cornrows and the regular braids - all they know is they got Bahama Braids to show off to their friends!

My daughter got hers done the last night of our cruise in January. The lady's were lovely, I think it was $20 with tip- GREAT value. BUT here's my caution. It hurt her like crazy! she complained daily about how bad the braids hurt and that they were giving her a headache. about day 3 or 4 I noticed she was getting a rash around the braids. She didn't want them out, but the doctor siad it was a rash from the trauma of the hair being pulled so tight and if we didn't get them out she could have permanent hair loss there:scared: Needless to say the braids came out and my daughter had to put cream on her scalp for a week until the rash healed. It even has a name "corn row rash" look it up....it's kind of scary! I'm not blaming DCL or the braid lady. She pulls that hair tight, and I tell you what, those braids still looked brand new when we took them out. I think some kids will be fine, and some will react like my daughter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter