Guy drives $75 pickup for 38 years

It's impressive. My husband's truck is 33 years old, but was bought new. Thing still runs like a top. We joke that I'm going to prop him up behind the wheel and bury him in that thing. I just might. LOL. Next to his kids, and maybe me, it's the thing he loves most in the world.

IMO, not as impressive when the owner says he's only put 300,000 miles on the truck in 38 years. That's less than 10K miles/year. We bought DW's minivan in 2015 (it was a 2013 model) with I think around 50-60k. We're now close to 200,000. We drive a lot.

IMO, not as impressive when the owner says he's only put 300,000 miles on the truck in 38 years. That's less than 10K miles/year. We bought DW's minivan in 2015 (it was a 2013 model) with I think around 50-60k. We're now close to 200,000. We drive a lot.
Almost 8,000 miles a year. More than I put on any of my cars, and only slightly less than the 11,000 average per year

Almost 8,000 miles a year. More than I put on any of my cars, and only slightly less than the 11,000 average per year
SLIGHTLY less? 27% is slightly? BTW, the current average is over 13K.

To me putting 8,000 miles on a vehicle in a year is not a large amount. 300K miles is not unusual for a vehicle.

SLIGHTLY less? 27% is slightly? BTW, the current average is over 13K.

To me putting 8,000 miles on a vehicle in a year is not a large amount. 300K miles is not unusual for a vehicle.
All relative I guess.

My mom drove 3,000 miles a year when when she was working, and 1,000 miles after she retired. We put about 7,000 a year per car. But on the other end, I know people who drive 100,000 miles a year, Most insurance companies consider above 12,000 miles above average and adjust your rates because of that.

My daily driver is a 2006 Z71 that has 214,000 miles on it, by contrast I have a 2007 Jeep unlimited Rubicon that only has 66,000 miles on it. It sits on dual battery chargers in the garage. I'm probably getting a new(er) truck this year.

All relative I guess.

My mom drove 3,000 miles a year when when she was working, and 1,000 miles after she retired. We put about 7,000 a year per car. But on the other end, I know people who drive 100,000 miles a year, Most insurance companies consider above 12,000 miles above average and adjust your rates because of that.
Doesn't really matter what insurance companies consider average.
According to United States Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration, Americans now drive an average of 13,476 miles per year. That’s the most in history. Do the math and the average American drives well over 1,000 miles a month.
Source

Good for your mom. Still doesn't dispute the point that 8K miles per year is well below average.

Good for him. I have a 2004 Odyssey that I’m hoping will last me another 5 years! Best vehicle I’ve ever owned and every time I think about trading it in I just can’t because it is reliable and economical. Hey, that car payment savings paid for Disney this year, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter