Gulf Coast Ideas

footballmouse

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone. I need some suggestions for a solo trip somewhere along Florida's Gulf coast. I've only been to Sarasota, Orlando and Daytona and that was with my family. My kids are older and don't want to do vacations due to working or saving the money. I've decided I'm just going to start taking a beach vacation by myself but I don't know where to go. I'm not comfortable doing solo trips to the parks so I'm not looking for those suggestions or tips. All I plan on doing is sitting by the pool and the beach. I would be flying so there needs to be an airport close. I would rent a car and I'd prefer going in May, late August or September, possibly June, would love it to be off season for the price drop. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sanibel/Captiva after flying into RSW. Plenty of nice resorts/beaches. Naples is my preferred choice, but is not as easy to fly into. I live in Florida and drive to Gulf for vacations.

Check out Song of the Sea. We've stayed there and thought we walked into Hawaii.

Last edited:
Longboat/Lido Key area near Sarasota. Great beach/island vibe, but close enough to Bradenton & Sarasota to get to the ‘city’ if you want.

We also LOVE Marco Island. Again, nice island vibe, little more sophisticated, but close enough to Naples to get back to the ‘city’ vibe again.

Longboat/Lido is only about an hour from TPA, or you could fly right into SRQ. Marco is only about 1 hr from RSW, so they’re both super easy to get to.

Sanibel and Captiva for sure! There are small, older style but renovated "cottages" too. We stayed for four nights and I swam in the small pool while DH laid in the hammock under the palm trees. They had bicycles and beach chairs to borrow.

There are several small beaches and the gorgeous lighthouse. If we were able to buy even a small home here, we'd do it in a second. Enjoy!

Orange Beach Alabama----just miles from the Florida border.
You can fly into Pensacola FL and it's less than 1 hour drive.
We own condos here, so I'm biased....but it's gorgeous!!

Not Gulf side, but Hollywood Beach FL
We flew into Ft. Lauderdale and the beach/resort was minutes away.
We stayed at the Margaritaville Resort and it was wonderful!!

Edit: May and June will not be off-season. Kids get out of school in May down south and the family beach vacations begin.
Late Aug and Sept will be cheaper, since it's prime hurricane season. Know the cancellation policy and you'll be fine.

For traditional beach towns on the gulf check out the chain down the barrier island off the west coast of Pinellas county. It starts with Clearwater Beach and goes down to Pass-A-Grille. If you want a mix of beach and city I'd go just north to Dunedin. You can spend your day at Honeymoon Island and have access to slightly better, and less touristy, restaurants.

Venice Florida is nice if you stay ON the island (west side of Intercoastal). Very walkable downtown shopping and dining area and to beach. A bit similar to Naples but less $$$$. Short term rentals difficult in season but probably doable after March.
Fly in to either Sarasota or Ft. Myers.

The 30A is nice. I cannot remember all the towns, but there are several along that strip. It is pretty to easy to get to from Panama City Beach, well Destin too, but PCB seems a lot closer.

We go to Lido Key 4 or 5 times a year. Smaller, quieter, can walk to St Armand’s easy and it’s easy to walk from pass to pass on the beach.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter