Guests evacuated from new Skyliner Gondolas

I would be in a full panic-don't like heights. I thought these might be cool, but after this, even though I know they will fix it, will not be my way to get from park to park!

I just saw this my daughter is in Disney, I am sure I would have heard from her if they were unlucky enough to be on it.
Those poor people :sad2:

Interesting that the gondolas have "waste bags" in the emergency kits. sure wouldn't want to use one, but when nature calls you gotta go.

Interesting that the gondolas have "waste bags" in the emergency kits. sure wouldn't want to use one, but when nature calls you gotta go.

Unfortunately you might have to “go” in front of strangers since the gondolas can hold up to 10 passengers. They would have to give me more then the $100 gift card and Park Hopper Pass I read they are giving if I had to “go” in front of those other passengers.

We were going to stay at Caribbean Beach for our SWGE visit after the cruise, but I moved to YC after I found out the gondola's aren't air conditioned, and boy am I glad I did. These gondolas require movement to create the breeze for ventilation. Can you imagine 2+ hour delays like these folks experienced in 90+ degree heat in a metal box? Beyond discomfort, people could die! This is madness. I am normally such a disney cheerleader but boy did they screw up on this one. Not even one week a week and already they had this mess. Everyone kept saying it would work fine because "gondolas are used all over the world" but very few places operate with the scale and traffic level as Disney.

They are not 60 feet over the lake.

From the Orlando Sentinel - "Riders on the recently-opened Skyliner gondola ride at Walt Disney World were stuck for hours Saturday night. The system features nearly 300 cabins that Disney says travel at about 11 mph, and their peak height is about 60 feet off the ground. " Check the photos - they're pretty high up there. I don't think 60 feet is unreasonable.

From the Orlando Sentinel - "Riders on the recently-opened Skyliner gondola ride at Walt Disney World were stuck for hours Saturday night. The system features nearly 300 cabins that Disney says travel at about 11 mph, and their peak height is about 60 feet off the ground. " Check the photos - they're pretty high up there. I don't think 60 feet is unreasonable.
You stated, in your prior post, "60 feet over the lake" It is NOT 60 feet over the lake. They are very low over the lake. Check pictures and your facts.

You stated, in your prior post, "60 feet over the lake" It is NOT 60 feet over the lake. They are very low over the lake. Check pictures and your facts.

Oh, my apologies!! Sixty feet over anything is pretty high - that was kind of the point.

Oh, my apologies!! Sixty feet over anything is pretty high - that was kind of the point.
High over land and High over water are VERY Different. That is the point. There is so much exaggeration going on over this incident it is almost unbelievable.
Facts are facts, and they are important.
Everyone is certainly free to have and express their opinions. But stating stating mis-truths is not helpful.

(copied from another forum)
Would it be unhealthy or unsafe for some folks to have to sit still in the shade of the old apple tree (or next to the Tree Of Life) for two hours on a 90 plus degree humid day?

If the answer is yes, then consider this:

Some folks may end up having to sit in a gondola far above Cayuga's waters (er, 20 feet above Hourglass Lake or 50 feet above Buena Vista Drive) for two hours in the middle of a 90 plus degree humid day waiting to be rescued.

Is it fortunate that a rescue effort was experienced this early in the game and not under the most extreme weather (heat, humidity) so that more information has been gathered for future Skyliner operational questions.

It might be necessary to put up a sign, similar to the warning sign at certain rides, stating that "Guests with this condition or that condition or whatever other condition should not ride." And maintain "redundant" bus service. The key criterion is time required to evacuate.

Unfortunately you might have to “go” in front of strangers...
Unfortunately men have an advantage over women here but, supposing it was in the monorail, or in a bus stalled at the side of a road ...

Last edited:
High over land and High over water are VERY Different. That is the point. There is so much exaggeration going on over this incident it is almost unbelievable.
Facts are facts, and they are important.
Everyone is certainly free to have and express their opinions. But stating stating mis-truths is not helpful.
Actually I don’t see how it is different. If you are stuck 20 feet over a lake or 60, you are still stuck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter