GTY (Guarantee Room) Question

Lady Duchess

DIS Veteran
Just wondering if anyone has ever booked an inside GTY cabin that was upgraded to an oceanview? I know with a GTY you get the minimum of that category or possibly upgraded to something better. I am not asking about the IGT, VGT etc...since this rolls out typically last minute and are paid in full. Didn't want anyone to confuse them. Thanks for any insight or experiences you have had :)

Yes, This does happen sometimes if the demand for inside staterooms is really great.

Yes, this happened to us on our upcoming 10/27 Magic cruise. 11C GTY to a 9C.

We have two 11C Gty staterooms booked for Dec 15 on the Dream as we wanted two bathrooms for the four of us. Our travel agent booked for us and we didn't know they were going to be Gty. I wouldn't mind an upgrade to a 10 for the split bath but my kids really want to see the magic portholes (21 & 23!).

We have two 11C Gty staterooms booked for Dec 15 on the Dream as we wanted two bathrooms for the four of us. Our travel agent booked for us and we didn't know they were going to be Gty. I wouldn't mind an upgrade to a 10 for the split bath but my kids really want to see the magic portholes (21 & 23!).

A GTY doesn't mean that you have more of a chance of being upgraded. There is no logic to how that is done and people who have picked their staterooms have just as much of a chance as a GTY room.

We booked an 11C guarantee for the 3rd Disney Fantasy sailing in April of 2012 and we were upgraded to a balcony on deck 6!!! It was awesome! From what I was told, apparently people really wanted to see the magical portholes and since the ship had just started sailing, the demand was higher for the inside cabins than the balconies!

We also just returned from the Fantasy yesterday. We had again booked an 11C hoping for another magical upgrade but we were not upgraded. They did put us in a handicapped accessible room however which was REALLY spacious.

Kathy

Yes, we had this happen for our 2012 Alaska cruise! We booked a 10B GTY and were upgraded to a 9C. We loved the oceanview cabin.

We booked an 11C guarantee for the 3rd Disney Fantasy sailing in April of 2012 and we were upgraded to a balcony on deck 6!!! ...

They weren't booking the Fantasy at capacity at that point to get the staff up to speed for a full ship, which helped with upgrades.

Thank you all for your input. Last month when sailing on the Dream I booked and inside GTY for Sept 27, 2014, I am hoping for some pixie dust, if not I sailed the Dream twice, once inside and once in the balcony. I must say I loved the inside and the magical porthole...It was a great experience:cool1:

Thank you all for your input. Last month when sailing on the Dream I booked and inside GTY for Sept 27, 2014, I am hoping for some pixie dust, if not I sailed the Dream twice, once inside and once in the balcony. I must say I loved the inside and the magical porthole...It was a great experience:cool1:

Just to note...an "inside GTY" should have a category associated with it...such as 11B GTY or 10A GTY. You will be assigned at minimum the specific category you booked (i.e., if you book 10A GTY you will not be put into an 11B stateroom which is a lower category but could be 10A or something higher).

The broader "interior" or "oceanview" or "verandah" categories are the *GT rates, which as you indicated in the first post are the relatively last-minute discounted rates.

Just to note...an "inside GTY" should have a category associated with it...such as 11B GTY or 10A GTY. You will be assigned at minimum the specific category you booked (i.e., if you book 10A GTY you will not be put into an 11B stateroom which is a lower category but could be 10A or something higher).

The broader "interior" or "oceanview" or "verandah" categories are the *GT rates, which as you indicated in the first post are the relatively last-minute discounted rates.

We did an 11C GTY :) Got such a great deal, couldn't not book it :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter