Grumpy Challenge 2017.... A Marathon Weekend TR (Updated 3/19 Final Thoughts)

rteetz

DIS Veteran
Welcome everyone!

My name is Ryan and I will be your host for this Trip Report. I am a current College Student and will be pursuing Civil Engineering. We are from the cheesehead state of Wisconsin (Go Pack Go!). I am a huge Disney fan just like most of us here, and my first trip was when I was 8 months old (Don't ask me anything about it because I don't remember). I am also the Rumors and News Moderator here on the Disboards, and in addition to that I am a DIS contributor. That means I write articles for the site wdwinfo.com.

IMG_3986.JPG

This will be my 9th Walt Disney World trip and will be my 3rd consecutive trip during Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend. Lets just say runDisney has got me hooked.

I have a few more characters joining me on this trip.

My youngest sister Sydnee is in 5th grade and just loves being a kid. She always puts a smile on all of our faces even if she is a little crazy sometimes.

My Mother Lynn, the one who got me hooked on Disney and has been going to Disney herself since around 1974. She doesn't even know how many times she's been but she loves it just as much as I do.

Next up is my Grandma Dorothy. She joined us on last years Marathon Weekend trip which was her first time at WDW since the 80s. She loved it and was excited to come back with us.

Finally we have some very close friends joining us who will come up throughout the trip report. They are being kind enough to let us stay with them as they are DVC owners.

As I have already mentioned we went to Walt Disney World for Marathon Weekend 2017. The race weekend starts 1/4 and goes to 1/8. There are 4 races throughout this weekend, a 5K, 10K, Half Marathon, and Full Marathon. The four races I have listed below as well as the two challenges you can participate in during the weekend. Going into this weekend I was signed up for the Dopey Challenge, 48.6 miles across the four days. As you will learn in this trip report some things changed during this weekend which contributed to the title of this report.

My mother, and friends of ours would be running the 5K this weekend and my sister would be running the Mickey Mile. runDisney not only puts on large race events but has kids races from diaper dashes, to a 1 mile race.

1/5- WDW 5K, 3.1 miles
1/6- WDW 10K, 6.2 miles
1/7- WDW Half Marathon, 13.1 miles
1/8- WDW Marathon, 26.2 miles
Goofy Challenge 39.3 miles (Half and Full marathon)
Dopey Challenge 48.6 miles (All four races)

Our trip dates: 1/2-1/10, a 9 day trip which would be my longest Disney trip I have ever taken.

Our Resort: Saratoga Springs

Holy cow, am I the first! Sweet!! Looking forward to reading your report as I was nail biting all last weekend trying to follow along with the boards!!

Holy cow, am I the first! Sweet!! Looking forward to reading your report as I was nail biting all last weekend trying to follow along with the boards!!

It was an interesting weekend but I will cover it all hopefully. Thanks for following along!

Awesome start! Following along. :)

Thanks!

Can't wait to read about your races, Ryan.

Thanks! Are you doing a TR? I'd love to hear about your trip.

Following along! Love your trip reports! Your love of Disney goes deep like mine! My first trip, I was only three months old.

First page! I'm looking forward to following along and living vicariously through you. Hopefully you had a good trip, despite the disappointment of the half being cancelled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts