Grocery delivery to GCV.

Robin"D"

DIS Veteran
Hey Gang,
we are booked for our 1st trip to Disneyland for January 2022 and are very excited. we will be here for 10 days. looking for a store that will deliver groceries to the GCV's. looking for advice/ suggestions/ which stores...
Thank you in advance

Robin & Angel 'D'

Vons/Safeway for sure. We've ordered through them at least 4 times and twice to DL properties. Once we sent our order to the wrong address (GCH instead of DL hotel ) and guest services moved our delivery between the resorts on our behalf.

Vons/Safeway for sure. We've ordered through them at least 4 times and twice to DL properties. Once we sent our order to the wrong address (GCH instead of DL hotel ) and guest services moved our delivery between the resorts on our behalf.
thank you for this reply....

Repost from December 2019:

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I would base it on: first delivery free (coupon code?), are the items/brands you want in stock, and are the right delivery windows available.

We used Vons several times before Amazon came along. Then we tried Amazon a couple times and no issues. They did have an Uber/Lyft driver deliver the items at least two times (out of a car trunk), so I could see how care/handling might vary. I know Amazon does have trucks, this probably depends on order flow.

We switched back to Vons/Pavilion last time and I was impressed for these reasons:
1) You can start your order/cart well in advance and choose a delivery time. At Amazon, you can start your cart, but delivery window has to be within two days (at last check).
2) 1-hour delivery windows available at Vons. The site says this will be fulfilled by Instacart, but we definitely had a Vons delivery truck.
3) Vons now has real-time driver tracking like Amazon. It alerts you once they are en route and you have plenty of warning to meet the truck, if needed/wanted.
4) The Vons trucks are impressive, refrigerated, with serious infrastructure/crates. The driver was super nice and brought the entire order up to VGC on his own cart, not the bellhop. Amazon handed us a bunch of paper/plastic bags each time.
5) The Vons driver absolutely would not accept a cash tip, even after delivering to our fridge. I insisted three times, it wasn't happening-- strict policy. Amazon asks for a gratuity at check-out. I'm just amazed by that in a low-margin business in this day & age. Nice touch Vons.

Overall, all the services have improved their tech and delivery times in recent years. We used to always have it delivered before our arrival, but now with shorter windows and real-time tracking we usually order some alcohol, cheaper than nearby quick-stores, and plan to be there to receive the order. That is, as long as it works with our arrival day/park schedule.

One more thing to check is how much fridge space you have (full size in VGC), and plan accordingly (milk carton size, etc). Or, bring a soft cooler and use the hotel ice machine as needed.

Original thread with a couple more tips:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/online-grocery-delivery.3784212

Repost from December 2019:

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I would base it on: first delivery free (coupon code?), are the items/brands you want in stock, and are the right delivery windows available.

We used Vons several times before Amazon came along. Then we tried Amazon a couple times and no issues. They did have an Uber/Lyft driver deliver the items at least two times (out of a car trunk), so I could see how care/handling might vary. I know Amazon does have trucks, this probably depends on order flow.

We switched back to Vons/Pavilion last time and I was impressed for these reasons:
1) You can start your order/cart well in advance and choose a delivery time. At Amazon, you can start your cart, but delivery window has to be within two days (at last check).
2) 1-hour delivery windows available at Vons. The site says this will be fulfilled by Instacart, but we definitely had a Vons delivery truck.
3) Vons now has real-time driver tracking like Amazon. It alerts you once they are en route and you have plenty of warning to meet the truck, if needed/wanted.
4) The Vons trucks are impressive, refrigerated, with serious infrastructure/crates. The driver was super nice and brought the entire order up to VGC on his own cart, not the bellhop. Amazon handed us a bunch of paper/plastic bags each time.
5) The Vons driver absolutely would not accept a cash tip, even after delivering to our fridge. I insisted three times, it wasn't happening-- strict policy. Amazon asks for a gratuity at check-out. I'm just amazed by that in a low-margin business in this day & age. Nice touch Vons.

Overall, all the services have improved their tech and delivery times in recent years. We used to always have it delivered before our arrival, but now with shorter windows and real-time tracking we usually order some alcohol, cheaper than nearby quick-stores, and plan to be there to receive the order. That is, as long as it works with our arrival day/park schedule.

One more thing to check is how much fridge space you have (full size in VGC), and plan accordingly (milk carton size, etc). Or, bring a soft cooler and use the hotel ice machine as needed.

Original thread with a couple more tips:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/online-grocery-delivery.3784212
WOW....GREAT info....thank you very much!

so do you meet them in the lobby?

To expand above, the standard "rules" for any grocery delivery are:

1) GCH bellhops will accept your delivery and put into cold storage for you, as long as there is no alcohol in the order (in which case, you need to meet the delivery and sign for it). Just put your name/room number in the notes, or tell them your estimated check-in time. We almost always have them delivered just prior to our check-in, then arrange bell services on arrival. OR, you are welcome to meet the driver and lead them straight to your villa/room, as long as the service has their own cart (Vons does, Amazon not always).

2) For a separate alcohol order (after you arrive), there is a quick mart nearby called Wonderland Liquor. They will deliver fairly quickly, starting at 4:00 PM, I believe. Or, use Drizly app which is like Uber Eats for alcohol. We used at WDW and it worked great. You can pick through arrival times and it arrives very quickly so you are not waiting around. Have not used at DLR yet but I'm sure there will be plenty of providers once the Parks reopen.

For a 10 day trip, if a large group, you may need two deliveries for fresh items. It's a really easy process. The main thing is don't put yourself in a position of waiting an hour or more for delivery during Park time. There is no need to.

There are a lot of changed policies at the Grand California. It doesn't hurt to check before you go.

We stayed in a second floor room at the Park Vue and the driver parked right below us and helped us unload. It could not have been more convenient and I hope to do this again one day SOON :bored:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter