Grinchmas @ RPR- Dec 2017 PTR -Updated 12/8

Discussion in 'Universal Studios Trip Reports' started by Raeven, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

Grinchmas Trip-7 Weeks! (50 days)

I haven't updated my PTRs in awhile, because I've been a bit busy and I don't have any planning news; but I did want to show you what I've been up to!

Last week was my dad's birthday party and here's his 2 cakes:

[​IMG]

Yes 2, he is spoiled :rotfl: (and yes his favorite cup does say "I pooped today").

Nacho Friday is still going strong:

[​IMG]

And last weekend we went to a wedding for one of Josh's friends:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you can believe it my cousin made all the desserts! She's an excellent baker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They served BBQ at the wedding.

[​IMG]

And then I found the chocolate covered oreos :lovestruc Did I mention my lovely cousin also works in a chocolate store?

[​IMG]

They had a Polaroid camera to take pictures with, and while cute personally I'd rather just use my phone :rotfl:

[​IMG]

Here is my cousin and I after we had quite a bit of wine :laughing: (She's the one that made the amazing cupcake spread).

[​IMG]

I will say those were the highlights of the wedding, as there were some exhausting bits as well. If you get a big group of people together and give them alcohol in my experience there is a lot of drama! This wedding was no different. If you remember Josh's friends girlfriend that I mentioned in my TR from May (the one we had to pick up presents for that I don't know well). She had a cold and drank quite a bit so I was trying to watch out for her, but she got very emotional about how they weren't right for each other and almost broke up with her boyfriend :eek:
    It was very awkward to be in the middle of that but also awkward since I think she expected me to relate, but Josh and I get along very well and I love him very much. We've never broken up, and I can't even think of a time I've been mad at him for more than a minute. :lovestruc

However being that close to someone so sick all night, definitely got me sick :crazy2:

And this didn't help:

[​IMG]

They're putting down new carpets at work so they pulled the old ones up and let me tell you they haven't replaced the carpets in over 25 years, that's 25 years worth of dust in the air. :crazy2: So on top of that my allergies are in high gear and work has been a nightmare. I actually called out today because I wasn't feeling well, and they were finishing carpeting behind my desk so I knew that would just make it worse.

My cousin (from above) is also throwing a Halloween party this year!

[​IMG]

We're thinking of maybe going as Ash and Ruby from Ash vs Evil Dead.
    [​IMG]

rmw1313 and amalone1013 like this.
  2. rmw1313

rmw1313 Earning My Ears

LOL..weddings are ALWAYS good for brining the drama :laughing:

It's so awkward when people try to project their problems on to you and you can't relate but they really want you to

Raeven likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. amalone1013

amalone1013 DIS Veteran

Amen :thumbsup2 We had nachos last week and I thought of you!

They look beautiful and delicious!
    Ok wait... can we rewind and I can go to the wedding with you guys?
    Eek. About a month after Zack and I started dating, my roommate got drunk at a party and cried to us about how she thought we were going to break up and ruin our group friendship. :confused3 I think we're doing okay :rotfl: It's so awkward when people do that. I just want to be like, why are you telling me this? Are you even going to remember? And it doesn't matter if they do or don't, because either they don't and you still know, or they do remember and try to down play it and it's still awkward.
    Ewwww. My workplace is like that... like letting things go and mine seems confused when it's really bad then o_O Earlier this year we tried to get the vents cleaned in my area. They were so bad that the thick layer of dust and fuzz started to fall off in little chunks! :crazy2: And it still took almost a month to get it cleaned by our maintenance people. Now did they put it on a cleaning rotation? Of course not, we don't do preventative here :thumbsup2

Raeven likes this.
  5. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

They are :rotfl:

It was. Like no that problem is specific to you :laughing:

:thumbsup2

They were! Well the ones I had sadly I didn't get to eat them al.

I wish!

Oh yeah I don't know how awkward it's going to be when we see her again next. I have no idea what happened with things, but I doubt they actually broke up.

Gross! So I went in yesterday and they were finishing, and the fumes from the carpet and painting were actually really bad. We also don't have windows and only 1 door and it was closed. Well I guess someone called OSHA on them, I think it was a customer. But anyway they had to bring out fans, open the door, and my boss asked if I wanted to go home. I stayed because it was fine with the door open, but I can't believe they didn't think about this stuff and stayed open while doing massive renovations like that.

6. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

Grinchmas Trip-6 weeks (40 days)

[​IMG]

We've made some changes!

Last weekend we made the decision to stay at Disney the first night of our trip as well since we get in when the USO parks close, and head to Disney the next day. I rearranged our ADRs, and took a night off the CBBR reservation, and thought we were all set.

But then this week I made the biggest change. I’ve been lamenting since the beginning of trip planning that there was nothing available for the beginning of the week we’re going, and I’ve been checking all along. Ideally I wanted to be in Disney Fri-Wed then Universal Thurs-Sat instead of going back and forth and breaking things up. Josh and I had agreed if anything came up it didn’t really matter where (as long as it was about what we were already paying or less). Well on Friday I looked and the dates were there! But only for one hotel. So now we’re booked in a preferred room at Pop Century for those dates!

So that means we also changed our Universal dates too, and we were able to switch to Sapphire Falls for our Universal stay for the same price. (I really want that volcano view but it’s hard to beat the convenience of water taxis).

94375033-C877-435D-86C5-3720F25950EF.jpeg

This weekend we went to see Evil Dead the Musical!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My cousin’s “party” ended up being a really small event. A lot of people had colds and left early, and no one really dressed up. I just wore a pair of Halloween mouse ears :rotfl:

I also have decided to return the Allbirds as sadly they aren’t working for me and now I have to find other sneakers with only a couple weeks to go. After I wore them a bit more I just really didn’t like them. They feel really tight with socks on, clammy with socks off, and the tops feel too narrow maybe? Kind of like their pressing on my big toe. I can absolutely see where I’d have the same problems with blisters even with these and if that’s the case I’d rather just buy regular sneakers.

Last weekend I worked on a new Youtube banner:

[​IMG]

And I saw these Christmas corgi leggings and knew I needed them:

[​IMG]

I got them yesterday and they fit really nicely and are so comfortable (more like a pair of light joggers), and they are so cute!

[​IMG]

And Happy (early) Halloween!
    Here's a picture of my dad playing with Halloween decorations:

[​IMG]

And a flashback to the first HHN we did:

043BE612-E6A6-48FC-9C81-A3E0774D0FBF.jpeg

7. schumigirl

schumigirl It's a bit of a roodie doodie word for lady parts

Evil Dead the musical........lol........now that sounds like fun! And cool Freddie picture..........:thumbsup2

Love the leggings.........and yep, I’d have gone for Sapphire Falls too.......

Raeven likes this.
  8. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

Haha it was fun! And thank you!

I really would like to stay in a volcano view room someday, but Sapphire Falls is just way more convenient.

9. vrajewski10513

vrajewski10513 DIS Veteran

Is that candied BACON?!:lovestruc

We love Pop! I know it’s a value and you guys normally stay deluxe, but we’ve really enjoyed all of our stays there and the bus service is spectacular! I don’t think they’ve done the preferred rooms yet, but fingers crossed you get one of the newly refurbished rooms!

Understandable. But honestly, when we were at CBBR we never waited for a bus. There was always one waiting at the bus stop when we walked out and the ride is only about 5 minutes. So, for future trips, if you need to stay at CBBR, I’m sure you’ll be happy with the transportation!

So cute! I just got some Lularoe Christmas leggings to go with the shirt I ordered for the Christmas party.

Raeven likes this.
  10. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

Yes!

Sadly, we won't be getting a refurbished room because they haven't done the preferred ones yet and that was the only category available to book for our dates. We've really only stayed deluxe the last 2 trips, and while I love AKL, we did have good bus service our last time at Pop too!

We didn't either when we stayed there, but Josh loves the water taxis so much it's been hard to convince him to go back to CBBR :rotfl: It was actually a hard choice, I was looking forward to CBBR because of the volcano view rooms and the Christmas decorations, but I do think SF is beautiful and I want to do the dinner show there anyway.

:thumbsup2

11. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

Grinchmas Trip-5 weeks (32 days)

So we're almost down to a month! And I still don't have any outfits picked out so that's going to have to wait till next week :rotfl: This post is also basically the same as this week's post on my Disney PTR if you want to scroll towards the bottom for some new Universal news.

[​IMG]

I'm in full Christmas mode right now, but here's some pictures from Halloween last week:

I made roasted pumpkin seeds.

[​IMG]

And Instagram has some fun vampire filters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He looks like he's in a CW show about handsome zombies :lmao:

[​IMG]

Ok now back to Christmastime!

[​IMG]

(I'm still trying to convince Josh we need to put up the Christmas tree asap). I'm really excited to start hearing about the Christmas stuff going on in the parks including everything going on in the Harry Potter sections. This week after looking around a bit more I was able to change our Disney hotel to the hotel I had wanted before I changed the dates around. I had also changed our hotel to SF last week, but after looking at the prices a few times I was a bit torn since RPR has EP and was only $170 more. But we did just stay there... :scratchin Still EP would be nice to have if it does end up busy so I decided to move us there.

I realized since I changed resorts I never posted our dining plans because I was still moving things around. I think things are pretty good though I'm still undecided on a few things.

[​IMG]

12/14-Margaritaville-11 am
    The Palm-9:15 pm

12/15-Lunch on this day is only one I'm still undecided on. Maybe Toothsome, maybe somewhere new to us...:scratchin
    So last week we had been talking about Caribbean Carnaval at SF,
    but since we moved hotels we're looking at doing the Wok Experience at Islands instead.

12/16-Islands-9:30 am
    (Ideally this is what I'd like to do but there's no reservations available for our whole week.
    I feel like this might be a glitch though so we'll see when we get there.

If not we'll head over to SF and eat at Amatista or the Hard Rock and eat at The Kitchen).

12. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

Grinchmas Trip-3.5 weeks (24 days)

This weekend Josh's mom got kittens! Here's Paprika and Basil:

[​IMG]

We also saw Thor Ragnarok last week. We really liked it so here's some awkward pictures of us holding Thor's hammer at a Viking museum last year:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now what you've all been waiting for...

The Outfits Post!

[​IMG]
    (Shirt from AllThingsCuteDesigns, flannel from Cakeworthy)

[​IMG]
    (Sweatshirt from Etsy)

I would not recommend the shop so I won't name it. I didn't realize it was shipping from a distant country and the seller was very uncooperative with updates, it never arrived for the trip we were taking last year even though I ordered it months ahead, but when I asked for my money back it showed up suddenly so Etsy wouldn't process any refunds. So I guess I can wear it this year.

[​IMG]
    (shirt from Hot Topic)

It was actually very hot last year when we were in Universal so I'm bringing layers and tanks.

[​IMG]
    (Dress from Uniqlo)

For dinner at The Palm.

And this picture (and these shirts are from last year but we're going to wear them again):

[​IMG]
    (Antlers from Walmart, raglans from TeesandTankYouShop)

Next week I'll start the itinerary posts, have a weekend vlog from the aquarium hopefully, and tell you where else we've decided to eat (currently learning towards Cowfish again) :thumbsup2

shh, saskdw and Lesley Wake like this.
  13. macraven

macraven Proud Redhead Moderator

Still reading along

Raeven likes this.
  14. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

Grinchmas Trip-3 weeks (18 days)

Welcome to the first itinerary post for our December trip!

[​IMG]

12/13-12/14

We'll be checking into RPR on the 13th, but we'll probably be getting there around 9-10 pm so we won't be doing much besides going to bed.
    The next day we'll head to Cowfish first thing, then to Universal Studios. I'd like to meet Shrek and Donkey, see some attractions that might not be around for much longer, check out decorated Diagon Alley, and ride some of our favorite rides.

[​IMG]

We'll probably stay in the park to see the Macys Parade before returning to RPR. We may see the Hogsmeade show this night or we may save it for the next night. I'd personally see it every night, but I don't know if Josh will want to see it more than once.
    Finally later that night we have an early birthday dinner for Josh at Shulas around 9:30 pm.

[​IMG]

Day 2 will be my next post!

This weekend we went to the aquarium aka the zoo for fishies.

[​IMG]

(Please do yourself a favor and go look up the song "I Go To the Zoo" from the show Crazy Ex Girlfriend :rotfl:)

It's been at the mall down the street from us for almost a year, but we hadn't gone yet. And there is definitely a vlog coming in the next few days! But here's some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also Happy (early) Thanksgiving! I'll be going to my dad's for dinner on Thanksgiving, and watching Thanksgiving Food Network specials all week to celebrate! :thumbsup2

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    saskdw likes this.
  15. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

Grinchmas Trip-2 weeks (11 days)!

Here's some pictures from Thanksgiving at my dad's (If you read my Disney PTR you can just skip to the itinerary post the rest is the same):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the corn pudding is always a highlight, but it usually takes forever to cook, and by then we all had food and my dad was like "why are you taking pictures of all the food?"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pumpkin cheesecake, coconut custard pie, and chocolate creae pie:

[​IMG]

Yum!

[​IMG]

My family also watched Elf on Thanksgiving #ReadyforChristmas

[​IMG]

Later that night we watched Criminal Minds, and I want to share these hilarious pictures I took of the screen (a guy was finding people to kill from a dating site). My guess is they didn't think anyone would look closely at their screen but once we saw "competitive duck herding" under hobbies we had to take a closer look :rotfl:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Who doesn't love dancing with the wind?

[​IMG]

Itinerary Posts Continued:

12/15

We'll start our day with lunch at Margaritaville before heading to IOA. We'll be checking out the Grinchmas show since we missed it last year, and going on all our favorite rides (and maybe some we haven't done before). Before heading back to the hotel for a nacho break at Bula Bar. :P

Later that night we'll head back to the park to see the new Christmas show on the castle. I can't wait! I watched a video of it, and it was amazing! It far surpassed anything I thought they'd do so I can't wait to see it in person.

Stayed tuned for day 3!

I did also get my time off request for next year this week! I knew right away what dates I wanted to put in for, but since I've decided to wait till we get back to talk about our next trip I'll save that for then. Besides we don't get the official approval till early Jan.

And finally I know I said I'd get the weekend vlog up from last weekend soon, but it ended up taking me awhile to get to it.

But here it is!

I'll try to post at least 1-2 more (probably short ones) before we go.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    saskdw likes this.
  16. amalone1013

amalone1013 DIS Veteran

Because it's delicious, so I can dream about it until Christmas dinner! :rotfl:

Still me, when taking food pictures:

[​IMG]

My favorite. Zack's family never gets this kind for some reason. Maybe for Christmas I should use the Village Inn pie certificate I've had in my wallet for 5 years... Also, I love the turkey centerpiece!
    We watched Christmas Vacation the weekend before Thanksgiving. With wine #notashamed

[​IMG]

Hahaha I bet someone had a lot of fun writing that and though no one would ever notice! We watched The Good Place :) But we went back and watched the first 4 episodes again with Zack's parents over the weekend, because we thought they'd like it. Every time they show the point values for different actions we try to read a bunch.
    Yay! :cheer2:

The Christmas show looks so cool! It makes me wish we had more time :sad1:

Also I still want to eat at Margaritaville, somewhere. They did have good margaritas at their little outdoor bar area across the sidewalk :drinking1

Raeven likes this.
  17. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

:rotfl:

Aw it is delicious. Although my dad froze his a little too much and it was a bit slushy near the top :laughing:

You shouldn't be ashamed it's Christmas time!

Ooo I bet those would be fun to read. And another Good Place fan!

I wish you had more time too! Then we could see each other and you could see the Christmas show!

I really like their burgers and margaritas :lovestruc

amalone1013 likes this.
  18. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

Grinchmas Trip-4 days, 11 hours!

This weekend we finally got our Christmas decorations up!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We have a lot of fox ornaments:

[​IMG]

Here's some Disney ornaments from my childhood:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love these chubby chef snowmen with pies (they're Josh's) :rotfl: & here's a closer look at the UOAP ornament we got this year:

[​IMG]

Also yes I have a bacon and eggs ornament:

[​IMG]

Christmas ornament selfie!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you were wondering, yes our tree topper is Robin Hood riding a Coca Cola polar bear :rotfl: Here's a close up:

[​IMG]

We do have more ornaments I didn't get pictures of, but I'm hoping to buy a few more during our trip too!

Itinerary Posts Continued:

12/16

Originally we thought of just eating breakfast at the hotel then heading to the airport, but if we wake up early we'll actually have time to head to the parks before we leave so we decided to do that instead!

[​IMG]

We ended up deciding to book the Grinch breakfast at 8:30 am! After breakfast we'll have some park time before we have to leave around 11ish.

[​IMG]

We're hoping to get to the airport early enough so that if we want lunch we can sit down somewhere and eat (like at Cask and Larder). And that's it for our trip itinerary!

I'll probably post throughout this week too, with a short vlog and summary of our final plans the night before we go!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    saskdw and shh like this.
  19. macraven

macraven Proud Redhead Moderator

Less than two weeks and you’ll be there!

Raeven likes this.
  20. Raeven

Raeven Happiest Haunt

Grinchmas Trip-1 day, 11 hours!

It's almost time!!!

[​IMG]

Just one more day at work to get through...

[​IMG]
    (Me at work tomorrow)

After work I have to go get my bangs trimmed (I know you have yet to see any photos of them, and I haven't taken any because I think she left them a bit too long but I was waiting till right before the trip to trim them). Then we're trying a new restaurant called the Cuckoo's Nest. We leave for the airport at around 11:30 am on Friday. It's going to be chilly in Florida when we're there :cold: which is so strange, but I think we have enough warm clothes packed.

So here's a final itinerary summary:

12/8-12/13-Disney

12/13-Check into RPR

12/14-USO
    Dining: Cowfish, (Going over to Shulas that night for dinner)
    We'll probably see the Macy's Parade this night,
    but I don't know if we'll make it over to IOA for the castle show.

12/15-IOA
    Dining: Margaritaville, Jake's
    Night show: Christmas Castle Show

12/16-IOA/USO
    Dining: Grinch Breakfast-8:30 am, Probably eat lunch in the airport
    We have to leave around 11 am to get to the airport we'll probably stay in the parks until then.

And Josh bought me a Reptar bar the other day:

[​IMG]
    Note what it says in the upper right hand corner.

Inside view:

[​IMG]

As someone who watched Rugrats nonstop as a kid this was cool, but a candy bar filled with frosting is pretty gross in my opinon.

The most important thing:

[​IMG]

Josh liked the instructions, but I didn't get a super clear picture of them:

[​IMG]

And finally because I didn't want to leave everyone vlogless for 2-3 weeks here's a longer look at the time we did the Men In Black Immigration Floor Tour at Universal Studios. It's a really cool free behind the scenes tour you can do on days it isn't busy. I love Men In Black so I really enjoyed this! I know I put parts of it in my first day vlog from our May trip, but there's a bit more to this one. And I'll have lots of footage when we come back!

saskdw and crabbymom like this.
  21. shh

shh Mouseketeer

Excited for your trip - sounds like you're going to have an amazing time!

I know the cold doesn't make Northerners happy, but as a Floridian, I'm OVER all the brutal heat, humidity and hurricane warnings the past 6 months. LOVING it :yay:and keeping fingers crossed the forecast doesn't change, as we'll be there around the same time as you. (Although a much shorter trip than yours.):sad1:

We had cold weather for HHN and it made the trip 10x more special. Plus, feels like the crowds are more tolerable when I'm not sweating at the same time!

Raeven likes this.