Green tomatoes recipes

Toonses

A little nonsense now and then...
I did a final harvest today, since we have snow predicted this week, and I now have a ton of green tomatoes. Seriously, I made a huge pot of sauce and stocked the freezer, and I still have something like 20 lbs easy. I’m going to do some fried tmrw, but it’s too many to do them all. Also I don’t usually have much success attempting to ripen. Usually they go rotten on me first, and I have such beautiful tomatoes, I don’t want that happening.

So does anyone have good recipes for using up green tomatoes that aren’t sauce or fried?

Thanks!

Oh man I got excited thinking about fried green tomatoes but I guess that's off limits so I'm out. Lol

I have the same issue. My tomato crop this summer was the best ever. I put lots of ripened ones in the freezer to use for soups or chili over the winter. There are still lots of green ones on the vines. Years ago I picked the green ones, put them in a flat box and covered with newspaper. Then I put them in a dry, dark place and they ripened. I think I will try that again this time and when they are ripe enough just put them in the freezer. They are too good to let go to waste. As far as anything else, I am out of ideas.

I have many tomatoes left as well in NY.
Still isn't to cold so i haven't done final harvest yet.

A few restaurants used to serve pickled green tomatoes as part of a free appetizer platter. I enjoyed them, though never made them myself.

Thanks for the suggestions! I've decided to attempt to ripen some of them them, but keeping an eye and will cook them up if they look like they want to rot. Fingers crossed!

If you also had peas or beans in your garden, a chow chow relish made from green tomatoes and other ingredients is really good with them. Mom used to make many pints of it during the summer. That along with those peas and beans frozen from the garden were so good in the dead of winter. We would just about go through a pint a week and it was just mom and dad and me!

There is also one made from red tomatoes that was my favorite but I haven't seen a recipe for it in years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter