Great problem to have

mommy2mandn

Earning My Ears
I was telling my parents about the DVC and my parents seemed very interested. Now, my parents have decided to buy our points for us "so we won't have to." (I know, so lucky, I'm an only child of really indulgent parents.) Well, we were a little worried about that, but then they explained they were doing it for our kids, not really for me.

Well, today they told me that they want the points and the contract in their name, but we will always be the ones to use the points.

Is this going to get hard to make the reservations? I'm just afraid that this is going to get really complicated.

We just got our paperwork on Beach Club yesterday, and we were really excited. Now it looks like we're going to have to start the process over again.

Do they plan on paying the dues too? If not I would definately want the points in my name. I would think the owner of the points would have to be the one to make the reservations(we are in the process of buying a resale). I like to make my own reservations but that is just me. Of course you don't want to sound ungrateful but it just makes more sense to me to have it in your name.

When you call Member Services they always ask who they're speaking to. They want to speak to the person who makes the decisions for the account. I think it could cause problems if the points are in their name.

Do they really intend to "give" the points to you? If so, why on earth would they want the points in their name at all? Sounds fishy to me. I think they're being very generous, don't get me wrong, but a true gift means that they will be hands off after it's given. It sounds like they want to keep their hands in this particular pie.

As far as the reservations go...

They could list both you and your DH as "associates" on their membership, which would allow you to make reservations, yourself...

FWIW.

I forget the wording, but I believe you are supposed to have a certain designation (member/associate member?) to make the reservations. I believe there is a maximum of two people who can have this designation. Possibly they could name you as the second person.

Sounds like they are buying this to have their vacations with you or to gift you yearly with vacations rather than actually making the ownership a gift at this time.....although someday it will be yours. Maybe they are keeping it so you don't have to pay the dues.

Regardless who is designated as the member(s), the printed confirmation will come to one address. In most cases, that will be the same address which receives all DVC correspondence.

I would certainly suggest having your name included as one eligible to make reservations, but the confirmations will still likely go to their address.

Enjoy!

see if they would go for join ownership. It is better than the associate - I have that with my brother - and I get everything and have to fax it to him.

Two of the greatest gifts parents give their children is life and freedom. .

mommy2mandn - If you don't want to be an only child anymore, your parents can adopt me! ;)

Like I said, I'm not complaining, just wanted to know how hard it was going to be to do the reservations.

The associate idea was great. I called my dad and told him about it. When he calls this afternoon, he's going to mention it to the guide.

Thanks so much!

My parent's bought the first 210 pts in BWV. Us kids loved it so much we continued to add on to thier ownership. We now have 410 pts, dividing them between the BWV and VB as home resorts. I am named as an associate on the paperwork and I handle all bookings for everyone who uses. It is quite simple as the MS has your name down when you call for ressies......

WELCOME HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter