Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Myself and my children (13, 10, and 3) hate the new animated Mickey mouse cartoons. The drawing just doesn't impress and it seems that the characters have even been given different personalities. Mickey is almost a trouble maker and they are all yelling at each other all the time.
Mickey was a trouble maker in the beginning. Watch the old cartoons. He wasn't always nice... Maybe he's just going back to his old roots? That or he is taking over the attitude most kids have now days...

I'm really wondering what the turn around time is going to be on this from when it's down to back up and running as the new show. I can't imagine they'd want it down for too long with how little is left.

One thing that really aggrevates me is, why did Disney wait so long to tell people they were closing the GAMR? We aren't big fans of HS but I had us going one day during our trip in August to go on GMR a few times since I knew it was going to be closing. Now that it is going to be closed, we would not of gone to HS at all. We don't have hoppers and don't want to pay extra for them and we would of spent our extra day in AK doing FOP and the river journey but of course those fp's are gone. Disney should not keep this information from it's repeated loyal guests for their own selfish reasons.

well, it isn't like they ask people to plan early - it's not like you can book dining reservations 6 months ahead and fast passes 2 months ahead or anything like that - Disney really wants you to be spur of the moment

.... oh wait

Myself and my children (13, 10, and 3) hate the new animated Mickey mouse cartoons. The drawing just doesn't impress and it seems that the characters have even been given different personalities. Mickey is almost a trouble maker and they are all yelling at each other all the time.

I wish they would have gone back to the true Mickey, like a Mickey mouse clubhouse type animation and friendly style. To me it's like the three stooges or like another poster said Ren and Stimpy...which in my house, is not kid friendly.

I will miss GMR, but even more so because of what it's being replaced with.

I don't disagree with this - but on the other hand that is almost more like what the characters were when they first game out. Mickey had the gumption to overcome obstacles but he also had that sly wink/trouble maker side too ... and Goofy is called Goofy because he really was a "Goof"

And style wise, the character now is drawn more like how he looked in the 1930's (which is I think the timeframe for the Hoolywood part of Hollywood Studios) - it wasn't until Fantasia he got the look that we are most accostumed too

mickey_through_the_years_1928___1990_by_morphfxf-d51be5i.jpg

new Mickey:
disney_mickey_mouse_vol_1.jpg

I don't think HS is a full day park, so if you don't have hoppers, it's not worth it to visit. I find it very frustrating that Disney has closed so much there and doesn't seem to compensate it's guests if they do want to go to the park, other than making the guests buy the hopper passes which are expensive.

It depends what you are into. Our last trip we spent an entire day there and didn't get to everything we wanted to (ironically we didn't even ride GMR) - but my kids are still small so were into all the Disney Jr meets and greets and we like star wars so did Star Tours a few times and did the dessert party, etc.

If you aren't into either of those things though then I think there is not enough there for a full day though - but was enough for us

I'm really wondering what the turn around time is going to be on this from when it's down to back up and running as the new show. I can't imagine they'd want it down for too long with how little is left.

The only thing I have seen/heard is that they want it ready by when Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge opens to help with crowds - so that is like 2H 2019

Yep I'd say 2 year turn around.

I don't quite get that people are so upset that GMR is going like it should be considered a sacred classic like haunted mansion or pirates of the Caribbean

Yep I'd say 2 year turn around.

I don't quite get that people are so upset that GMR is going like it should be considered a sacred classic like haunted mansion or pirates of the Caribbean

Well, it is the last opening day attraction yet and represents what the park was originally about so I get why people had an attachment to it - and just that it leaving really takes away from learning about actual movies and Hollywood - now everything left is contrived and pretend - no really history

I wish they would have gone back to the true Mickey, like a Mickey mouse clubhouse type animation and friendly style. To me it's like the three stooges or like another poster said Ren and Stimpy...which in my house, is not kid friendly.

I will miss GMR, but even more so because of what it's being replaced with.
While I am not a fan of the new animation style, the characterizations are actually a throw back to the original shorts. Mickey started out as an ornery sort combined with Donald's attitude and it's pretty much what you had. I like that part of the the concept but the artwork leaves me at a loss.

I think the use of the new animation style could backfire on them.

It's not just the animation style . .it is the CONTENT of that style of shorts. The characters may look like your typical Mickey and Friends, but act somewhat differently (

It's weird that they make the first "Mickey Mouse" ride that would be perfect for kids (needed at DHS), but whose content is geared towards tweens and teenagers. Hopefully the storyline in the ride will be a bit tamer than the shorts I've seen. I can imagine some parents unknowingly taking their kids on a Mickey Mouse ride expecting something like Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and being greatly upset at the very violent and ugly images of this style of animation. *shrug* ..

The very first episode of this series is about Mickey running around naked in public and trying to avoid being seen by Minnie and Donald later getting chastised by Daisy because he shows up without clothes on.

I don't know the popularity of this show, but I envision more families having kids that watch the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse shows over this.
I mean . .I loved Ren and Stimpy when I was in college, but I'm not about to show my kids that show (or take them on a ride that that reminds me of Ren and Stimpy).

I just want to know if this means they're going to start selling stuffed Mickey Mouse with teeth.

The very first episode of this series is about Mickey running around naked in public and trying to avoid being seen by Minnie and Donald later getting chastised by Daisy because he shows up without clothes on.

I don't know the popularity of this show, but I envision more families having kids that watch the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse shows over this.
I mean . .I loved Ren and Stimpy when I was in college, but I'm not about to show my kids that show (or take them on a ride that that reminds me of Ren and Stimpy).
This is NOT like Ren & Stimpy!!! And the first episode that you cite -- people should look it up -- I don't think it's nearly as "problematic" as you're suggesting here!

And again -- you should go back and check out earlier Mickey cartoons. He was not the "aww shucks!" mouse you remember from the 80's/90's. Kids did not appear to fall apart over it then. I doubt they will now.

I think the use of the new animation style could backfire on them.

It's not just the animation style . .it is the CONTENT of that style of shorts. The characters may look like your typical Mickey and Friends, but act somewhat differently (

It's weird that they make the first "Mickey Mouse" ride that would be perfect for kids (needed at DHS), but whose content is geared towards tweens and teenagers. Hopefully the storyline in the ride will be a bit tamer than the shorts I've seen. I can imagine some parents unknowingly taking their kids on a Mickey Mouse ride expecting something like Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and being greatly upset at the very violent and ugly images of this style of animation. *shrug* ..

In this one, Goofy is a decaying zombie in various state of disassembly and Mickey is terrified of him. Maybe kids just see things differently today and I just don't get it.

I always thought that looked more like absurd fan fiction than an official Disney-released cartoon short.

In this one, Goofy is a decaying zombie in various state of disassembly and Mickey is terrified of him. Maybe kids just see things differently today and I just don't get it.

Good gravy! My son would be terrified if he sees his beloved Clubhouse crew looking like that. Nightmares for sure. Like I said .. this is just the same "gross out" animation style that Ren and Stimpy used in the 90s. My 20 year-old self would have loved the ridiculousness of these cartoons (and that is who I feel they are targeted for .. teenagers and millennials ... trying to make Mickey "cool" again).

Hopefully the storyline of this train ride will be a lot tamer than that or there will be a lot of angry parents (like there were with the Alien Encounter ride :)).

Either way .. it may be a ride I preview first before taking my kids on .. just like I haven't taken him on Haunted Mansion or Pirates yet because I know it could scare him. (I mean we didn't take him on the GMR simply because we felt the Alien scene would make him want to run out of the car!

Good gravy! My son would be terrified if he sees his beloved Clubhouse crew looking like that. Nightmares for sure.

Serious question: do you think THIS is the type of thing that they will choose depict in their family-friendly-ride-for-all-ages attraction?? The one about a RUNAWAY RAILWAY??

I think this particular concern is much ado about nothing, personally.

mickey_through_the_years_1928___1990_by_morphfxf-d51be5i.jpg

new Mickey:
disney_mickey_mouse_vol_1.jpg

Good gravy! My son would be terrified if he sees his beloved Clubhouse crew looking like that. Nightmares for sure. Like I said .. this is just the same "gross out" animation style that Ren and Stimpy used in the 90s. My 20 year-old self would have loved the ridiculousness of these cartoons (and that is who I feel they are targeted for .. teenagers and millennials ... trying to make Mickey "cool" again).

Hopefully the storyline of this train ride will be a lot tamer than that or there will be a lot of angry parents (like there were with the Alien Encounter ride :)).

Either way .. it may be a ride I preview first before taking my kids on .. just like I haven't taken him on Haunted Mansion or Pirates yet because I know it could scare him. (I mean we didn't take him on the GMR simply because we felt the Alien scene would make him want to run out of the car!
You are really not seeing that the Mickey above looks almost identical to Mickey in 1932?
I mean, I'll be the first to admit that I don't personally care for the Mickey shorts all that much. I prefer a different animation style but I can see the retro appeal of the shorts. It looks like they took it right out of 1930's

But seriously, kids terrified? Nightmares? By Mickey Mouse? Granted, I can't fathom HM or Pirates giving nightmares to kids either. GMR never entered my mind as scary and didn't scare her at 3. I guess DGD just doesn't frighten by such things. Nor did DD. They know fake from real.

But seriously, kids terrified? Nightmares? By Mickey Mouse? Granted, I can't fathom HM or Pirates giving nightmares to kids either. GMR never entered my mind as scary and didn't scare her at 3. I guess DGD just doesn't frighten by such things. Nor did DD. They know fake from real.
Not just your DGD. My daughter when she was 3 as well. She and her friends (now 10yo) think these cartoons are hilarious.

You are really not seeing that the Mickey above looks almost identical to Mickey in 1932?
I mean, I'll be the first to admit that I don't personally care for the Mickey shorts all that much. I prefer a different animation style but I can see the retro appeal of the shorts. It looks like they took it right out of 1930's

I am not talking about the general "look" of Mickey . .that's fine .. the characters themselves are a nice cute "upgrade".

I am talking about the content and "tone" of these shorts. The "gross out" style ... the "potty humor" style. I don't need my kid seeing that (he'll get enough of it as gets older).

Mickey seeing Goofy turned into a horrendously gross looking Zombie? My 4yo would have nightmares from that visual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter