Gratuitous transfer and buying used DVC

hoosierben

Earning My Ears
Hey so my wife and I are considering buying direct CCV DVC, but a new thought just popped in my head seeing this gratuitous DVC.

can we have her parents gratuitous add us to their existing direct deed, and then we just buy a used contract? Then we are blue card holders, but only paying for used DVC.

thanks

If you are added to the deed, then yes, you would be eligible for all benefits they have.

However, if you then decide to buy your own contract, it will be a new membership so combining points with the others won’t be as easy.

Valid, and a good point. It’d probably already be the same scenario as now if we bought direct and decided to combine points for a trip one day anyway.

thanks for the info!

Valid, and a good point. It’d probably already be the same scenario as now if we bought direct and decided to combine points for a trip one day anyway.

thanks for the info!

Yes, if you and your wife are owners on one contract, and your in laws own the other, with or without you, they remain two memberships and can’t be used to together for a single trip without transfers.

I assume you would be paying her parents? The point of a gratuitous transfer is that it is free (gratuitous). The documentation is pretty clear on that.

But yes, current policy would grandfather whoever is titled to the contract on the membership into a Blue Card, assuming her parents have a Blue Card membership. Any other points you bought resale would still be restricted.

Other options are a trust or LLC. These are common ways to handle this issue also. Maybe worth talking to her parents' attorney about that if they are setting up an estate plan.

If you plan to add on with a cash purchase, I'd suggest that your in-laws purchase the additional points and have them added to the existing membership you will be added to through the gratuitous transfer.

OP, was your plan to have the "used" (resale) contract in the name of you and your wife? If so, it would be a different membership from her parents' membership because the contracts would be titled differently. Maybe you don't care, but I thought I would mention it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter