Grapefruit cake at the Brown Derby?????

Realgrumpy

DIS Veteran
Since everyone always raves about it, we had it last week. None of us liked it. What are we missing?

Since everyone always raves about it, we had it last week. None of us liked it. What are we missing?
I don't know.....too sweet; not sweet enough; missing citrus flavor? Cake texture not to your liking?
Haven't had it yet but anticipating and depending on reviews like your's :).

Oh no!! My husband read about it and we have to go to that restaurant just because of that dessert.

I was the same way. I had heard rave reviews about it and was super excited to try it. I was really disappointed with it.

I don't care for grapefruit but I thought it was good.

Like @Farro, I'm not a huge dessert person, but I love the citrus notes in the Grapefruit cake that its not cloyingly, disgustingly sweet. Was it overly sweet? Hopefully they haven't changed it!

I love it, I'm not supposed to have grapefruit now because of a drug I take but risked it earlier this month while we were there. I shared it with my son, who happens to have been a Navy Corpsman so he assured me it was o.k. as long as I didn't eat the piece of grapefruit on top. He told me not to worry anyway, if I had a heart attack from it, he knew how to make a defibrillator out of just about anything. Way to look out for Mom son.

My absolute favorite dessert of all time! I ask my DW to make it for my birthday each year (recipe is in one of the Disney cookbooks they sold a while back). I normally am NOT a cake as dessert kind of guy, but then again grapefruit is my favorite fruit.

I doubt they changed the recipe, because outside the famous Cobb salad, the grapefruit cake is arguably their next famous offering.

Did you have the miniature version as part of a trio? Or a full-size slice? I found the slice was better-tasting -- not just larger, but seemed to have different ingredients.

Lots of people rave about Mickey bars and Dole whip. I think they're meh. Same for me with the grapefruit cake. Meh.

Oh no!! My husband read about it and we have to go to that restaurant just because of that dessert.

Doesn't mean it's not good and that he won't like it just because others didn't. Different tastes. I can wax poetic about a potato dish but DH thinks I'm crazy. Give it a try. That's part of the fun of travelling for me - getting to try new foods. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's the trying that's the best part.

Did you have the miniature version as part of a trio? Or a full-size slice? I found the slice was better-tasting -- not just larger, but seemed to have different ingredients.

I agree. I happen to like both but the small version I had in the trio was dryer and not as much grapefruit flavor. We like to go sit on the patio and just have the cobb salad and dessert. And sometimes the sliders.... They are awesome!

I never understood why people rave about this dessert. I found it merely ok when I had it as a full size dessert years ago. When they switched to the trio desserts, I tried it again and still didn't understand the fascination.

IMO, you weren't missing anything. I remember having it several years ago, and after hearing all the raves I expected to be blown away. I was so UNinpressed that I blurted out "This is IT?" then apologized profusely to our server, fearing I might have offended her. Instead she laughed and said that she didn't "get" it either-she'd read all the raves and didn't think it was "all that", not bad, but just OK.

I don't like sweet desserts (I'd go for the cheese board over anything else for dessert), and I LOVE this cake. Maybe that's the key then? It isn't sweet enough for those who love their desserts?

I don't like sweet desserts (I'd go for the cheese board over anything else for dessert), and I LOVE this cake. Maybe that's the key then? It isn't sweet enough for those who love their desserts?

I admit that for me, that was definitely the problem. Give me the Ooey Gooey cake, now that's sweet!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!