Grand Hotel in Michigan - good for 2 and 5 yr old?

jaysue

DIS Veteran
Thinking of going to the Grand in Summer 05 - any opinions or advice as to whether this is a good destination for our will be 2 yrs old and 5 3/4 yr old?

The hotel looks great but I am concerned about our kids enjoying it.....looks a little stuffy for kids and maybe more geared to older families???

thanks
jaysue

You'll find plenty to do at the Grand and on Mackinac Island. It's a full-service resort with activities for the whole family. Your kids will love the horses and the fudge, and you'll love the ambiance and the food. Don't forget to stop at the fort on the mainland before you cross over to the island!

I'd have to agree with rocketriter. We used to take our DS with up from the age of 4 - 8 and he always had a great time. Initially, I wasn't too keen about the tandem bicycle thing (me doing all the work), but once he could ride on his own, it was a blast. The perimeter of the island is mostly flat and the interior always seemed to be uphill (LOL). The meals at the Grand Hotel are awesome (DS likes to try new foods).

Almost wish I had the time to go again!

Thanks for asking this question.. Dh just brought up the idea of using some of our points to go up there... but without the kids would be the most fun right now for us!

Sherri :)

It is a great place with lots of activities. The "stuffiness" aspect is that the Grand has a dress code that requires men in jacket and tie and women in dresses or skirts on the grounds after 6:00 PM. We love Mackinac Island but my son detests the idea of "dressing up" on vacation.

We are going to the island tomorrow!! We are not staying on the island, but I will have to say the best place to stay on the island WITH kids is Mission Point. They have a kids club and many activities. Better yet...they don't have a dress code like the Grand does. You can go for dinner in their fancy restaurant in shorts!! The Grand does give off the "stuffy" feeling. I mean you have to pay to sit on their balcony?? Not for me! I would much rather save my 50-some points a night and stay in a less "stuffy" place!! I wonder if the Grans still has the flocked wallpapered rooms?!?!?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter