Grand Floridian vs. Polynesian

housetomouse

DIS Veteran
What are the big differences between these resorts? We've stayed at Poly a few times (club level) and may stay at Grand Floridian (club level) for the first time. How do the two resorts compare? Thanks!

Are you asking more from a resort perspective, CL perspective, or both? You may want to pop over to the CL thread and ask your question there if you don't find what you need here.

I could probably write a novel but it's late, will try to be more helpful tomorrow.

Are you asking more from a resort perspective, CL perspective, or both? You may want to pop over to the CL thread and ask your question there if you don't find what you need here.

I could probably write a novel but it's late, will try to be more helpful tomorrow.
Thanks! More from a resort perspective, what it's like to spend time at the resort. How the pools compare, how the (casual - no signatures for us) restaurants compare, beach fireworks/movie, that kind of thing. I assume transportation options are pretty similar, other than the TTC is a bit farther from the GF. Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Thanks! More from a resort perspective, what it's like to spend time at the resort. How the pools compare, how the (casual - no signatures for us) restaurants compare, beach fireworks/movie, that kind of thing. I assume transportation options are pretty similar, other than the TTC is a bit farther from the GF. Thanks for any help!

We've stayed at both and love both for different reasons. The GF is a beautiful resort with 2 nice pools, relaxing atmospheres, and a variety of dining options (a few more than at the Poly). Since you've already stayed at the Poly, I'd give the GF a try. The GF was never on our radar as we never had a good feeling about it whenever we visited, but once we stayed there I loved it. The Poly will always be my favorite, but the GF runs a close second :).

I am very much in agreement with @mickeynut1. I always sort of overlooked GF because it just wasn't my style, but I did a week at RPC last year and found myself really liking GF overall.

Specific to your Q's...

Pools: Both resorts are pretty similar in this regard. Two pools, one splashpad. I like how the GF courtyard (quiet) pool is quite large and has its own bar. It's a more substantial space than the Oasis Pool at Poly, although Oasis is very nice as well.

QS Restaurants: Honestly I don't really use them when we stay CL so I don't have a ton of experience.

Fireworks: Poly will beat GF every time for the most part. Poly has the beach with the direct view. You can't see the fireworks from GF's beach, really only from the boat dock or marina areas.

Movies/Recreation: Both very similar in terms of offerings and execution.

Transportation: At GF, being one stop away on the monorail and one stop back by boat is a nice plus. Poly obviously has the walkability to TTC for Epcot which is big for us. A bit harder to get from GF to Epcot, but not that bad. I have walked from TTC back to GF which is certainly possible if you enjoy a long walk.

Curious, which CL are you thinking about for GF? RPC or SL?

Last edited:
I much prefer GF over Poly. I love the band in the lobby. Love that every room gets turn-down service. I also love the food options. It is virtually impossible to get last minute reservations at a Poly restaurant and Capt. Cook's is a chaotic mess (IMHO). Gasparilla's is bigger and much easier to navigate. I also love being able to sit outside by the marina with a snack from Gasparilla's and see the fireworks. GF Cafe is also very good. Pools are lovely and spacious! I love the theming at Poly, but the restaurant issues and no shade at the main pool kind of ruin it for me.

Having stayed at both, I can honestly say that I love them both for entirely different reasons, and it depends on what your personal preferences are. If you're looking for romantic, timeless elegance, and all the conveniences you could hope for (excellent amenities like a spa, hair salon, multiple shopping options, a fitness center, and both signature dining as well as character dining on-site, and gorgeous surroundings property-wide), then you can't beat the Grand Floridian- it's their flagship resort for a reason. Having said all that, the Polynesian will always be my favorite resort- it's classic Disney, the themeing is incredible throughout, the staff is warm and inviting (always saying 'Aloha' or 'welcome home', I just love that), the pool/splash area is much more exciting than over at GF, and the grounds are lovely to walk around- they pull off the relaxed, tropical feel so, so well. For food options they have the legendary 'Ohana (mornings have a really enjoyable character buffet there), people love Kona Cafe, and there's just nothing better than heading over to Pineapple Lanai and sitting on the beach with a fresh Dole Whip while watching the evening fireworks- to me that's Disney perfection! Honestly, you can't go wrong with either of these resorts- they're both amazing for entirely different reasons, and you can't beat being on the monorail loop. I'm not sure if you're traveling with children, but my 3 and 5 year old loved the Polynesian over the Grand Floridian (I can see where the GF might come across as a little serious or grown-up for kids). Hope this helps- post again to let us know what you ended up choosing! :)

Having stayed at both, I can honestly say that I love them both for entirely different reasons, and it depends on what your personal preferences are. If you're looking for romantic, timeless elegance, and all the conveniences you could hope for (excellent amenities like a spa, hair salon, multiple shopping options, a fitness center, and both signature dining as well as character dining on-site, and gorgeous surroundings property-wide), then you can't beat the Grand Floridian- it's their flagship resort for a reason. Having said all that, the Polynesian will always be my favorite resort- it's classic Disney, the themeing is incredible throughout, the staff is warm and inviting (always saying 'Aloha' or 'welcome home', I just love that), the pool/splash area is much more exciting than over at GF, and the grounds are lovely to walk around- they pull off the relaxed, tropical feel so, so well. For food options they have the legendary 'Ohana (mornings have a really enjoyable character buffet there), people love Kona Cafe, and there's just nothing better than heading over to Pineapple Lanai and sitting on the beach with a fresh Dole Whip while watching the evening fireworks- to me that's Disney perfection! Honestly, you can't go wrong with either of these resorts- they're both amazing for entirely different reasons, and you can't beat being on the monorail loop. I'm not sure if you're traveling with children, but my 3 and 5 year old loved the Polynesian over the Grand Floridian (I can see where the GF might come across as a little serious or grown-up for kids). Hope this helps- post again to let us know what you ended up choosing! :)

This is a great, very well thought out and worded summary! :thumbsup2 And I totally agree!

I've stayed at both and love both. I will say Poly is better for transportation. Beds are better at GF. Those are the 2 main differences for me. I'm booked at Poly this year. Convenience won out over comfort.

I first stayed at the poly and fell in love with it and had no desire to stay at the grand, but eventually I did (reluctantly). and here is what happened:
when I stayed at the poly I missed the grand. when I stayed at the grand I did not miss the poly.

once you stay at the grand it transports you to mainstreet usa. it feels amazing. the beds are more comfortable, the lobby is more spectacular, the brightness of the resort puts you in such a vacation, beachy good mood. the flowers are numerous and full and beautiful. when you look at the grand across 7 seas lagoon while you are in front of the magic kingdom it puts a huge smile on your face. the pools are beautiful and less crowded and the "beachside" area looks really nice. also the roomservice food is better and they deliver later hours instead of just midnight.

keep in mind you can still take a beautiful short walk to the poly and enjoy all the ambiance and trader sams anytime youd like.

we're staying at the Poly this year because the lushness is just WOW - as hard as I try, every time I want to consider the GF I can't get myself to book it as I just don't think I'll feel comfortable there. DH recently showed me a video of a DISer there and I almost cried at the beauty and excitement of finally getting to stay there.

Really the only part that we like better at POLY is the fact that it is closer to the TTC. It is soooo much faster to walk to TTC to catch the Epcot monorail then it is to go to Epcot from GF.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter