Grand Floridian Private Dining - Fireworks Dinner with DH...!

slk537

<font color=red>Sigh...other than WDW, if I could
I have wanted to post this review ever since our trip, but somehow just never got around to putting it all down on “paper”…

Several months before our trip last May, I was reading the DIS boards (shocker!) and I read a detailed account of one DISer’s private dining experience. I read it to DH, because we just love hearing unique things other people do on vacation. We are DVC members and go down frequently, so we enjoy trying new things outside the typical trip. When I finished reading, I moved on to other plans. DH, on the other hand, kept the story in the back of his mind.

Fast forward a month to my birthday at the end of February. It was a lovely day, but nothing from DH (which isn’t the norm). We went out to dinner with DS and Ddad and still nothing more than a “happy birthday” from DH. Once home, he finally told me my present: he was in the midst of planning a romantic evening on our May WDW trip.

Well…that definitely works for me!! :love:

Our evening begins with DH and I taking DS over to the Grand Poobah of all Kid;s Clubs: The Polysesian Neverland Club. We were staying at the Poly at this point and would be next door at the Grand Floridian so it was the perfect place. DS has been counting the days until he could go to the NC, so he was excited. It was good all around.

DH and I took the monorail to the GF and once there headed down to sit near the piano in the lobby where we were to meet our private butler. I had asked DH if we needed to dress up, and he had responded “that’s up to us.” I loved it – we were going to have a romantic evening, but not in an upscale restaurant with other patrons, so we were in control of how formal the night would be. We decided we wanted to be vacation comfortable, but not theme park casual. DH wore a nice polo shirt and jeans and I wore a denim skirt and floral chiffon shawl over a camisole top. This is relevant, I promise…

So we sat down near the piano and DH nudges me and points to a couple also seated near the piano. He says, “I’ll bet the butler will think they’re us.” I looked over and saw the couple…very nice looking and dressed up, probably in their late forties. Then I looked at us, in our casual Friday wear, early thirties. The other couple looked ready for V&A’s…DH and I looked a teeny bit dressed up for 1900 Park Fare. Sure enough, we saw a gentleman in a tuxedo walk in, carrying a long stemmed red rose. He makes a beeline to the other couple. DH and I watched, amused, as they shook their heads “no” to his question. The gentleman turned, looked around, and saw us. He smiled and walked over and confirmed that we were indeed his couple. He gave me the rose and we followed him out to the marina, with him chatting all the way.

They had a set out a table for two on the corner, right across from where the boats are docked. For anyone who has had their children go on the pirate cruise – look across the marina, all the way down to the end. That is where we sat. We had an excellent view of the castle, monorail, Seven Seas Lagoon. It was perfect! The table was set with a white tablecloth, a long stemmed ivory rose, a candle in a crystal stem with a satin lampshade and scattered with red rose petals. Our butler had already set the table with rolls, butter, and salads. He also had our “bubbly” on ice: diet and regular coke. (what can I say…we’re very cosmopolitan people, you know…! :rotfl: )

Our table:

table.jpg

As our butler set out the dressings for the salad and poured our drinks and throughout the evening, he kept up a fun conversation talking about all the different private dining events he had done in his tenure at WDW, stories about when Saudi Arabian royalty have stayed at the GF for three months, different celebrities who have stayed there and what they were like…it was a stitch!

Our salads were wonderful – just basic lettuce, tomato and dressing. We ate them as the sun set and dusk took over. DH had pre ordered everything, so we were able to just sit back and enjoy.

Our salad:

saladII.jpg

After our salads, our butler timed things perfectly so he had the entrees ready to go. We had beef tenderloin served with béarnaise sauce, rosemary roasted new potatoes, and broccoli. On our first anniversary, DH had surprised me with dinner at the Country Club where our wedding reception was – with our wedding menu. It became our standard for romantic meals. Now, eight years later, he ordered the same menu for our romantic evening at Disney. :love:

Dinner was wonderful. We had eaten at Yachtsman, Spoodles, and Le Cellier this trip and had enjoyed steak at each. This beat all three, hands down. The potatoes were lovely and the broccoli, as you can see from the photo, was plentiful. I almost wanted to take what I couldn’t eat back for DS, as he loves broccoli more than anyone I have ever met since my mom. (Yes, my son loves vegetables. I can’t believe it either).

Our dinner:

dinnerplate.jpg

As we finished our dinner, our butler stopped back to clear the plates and get dessert ready. We were able to sit back and enjoy a perfect view of the Electric Water Parade. As it ended, we were served dessert. DH had ordered a mini wedding cheesecake, with a mini white chocolate castle and our butler added a candle for my birthday. It was absolutely divine!!! Our butler presented us with a gift from the GF: a box made of chocolate with an edible sketch of the GF on top….filled with truffles. He also subtly handed DH a copy of his receipt, having been run through earlier (tax and gratuity included, although DH left a bit extra). He took the large candle, thanked us, and told us to enjoy the fireworks and stay as long as we wanted.

our cake:

cake-1.jpg

Chocolates:

chocolates.jpg

We finished our cake, and sat back together to watch Wishes. We had a fantastic view. After the fireworks we walked back to the monorail and rode around the World until we got back to the Polynesian. We picked up DS and were able to take a look around the Neverland Club – how amazing! We walked back to the Hawaii building and settled in for the night. After putting DS to bed, we sat out on the patio and watched the castle change colors while just chatting. It was a fantastic evening and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

If you have any questions, please post – I’m happy to answer!

Wow ... what a wonderful review ! Congrats and kudos to your DH ... well done ! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the review and pictures. I would love to have a private dinner at the GF for a special occasion. Would your husband be willing to disclose the price of such a romantic meal?

That sounds wonderful, glad you had a great time! Can you please tell us who you called to make that reservation. We would love to do it! Is it just the WDW-DINE #. Thanks for the help.

John's Mom said:
Thanks for the review and pictures. I would love to have a private dinner at the GF for a special occasion. Would your husband be willing to disclose the price of such a romantic meal?

No problem! I asked him again and he said it was about $220 with an additional $20 extra tip. He also said "worth every penny"

He was charged for each item he selected from the available menu/special request separately, as though we were in a restaurant. The cake was $25. The butler was $50. You can select any menu items you want/they have available DH gave them his request for our wedding meal, and they gave him the prices. You can opt to do this without a private butler. In this case, a server wheels out the cart with the food and you serve yourself. We liked the butler, because it was just more romantic and special. Then there is the tax and included gratuity. So about $190-200 without the extra tip.

You can do pretty much whatever and wherever you want. The most fun idea our butler told us about was renting a car in the monorail for a private dinner...can you imagine??? :rotfl: He said they seal off the car and the monorail keeps running and picking people up, dropping them off, etc. as you are served and eat your dinner. He said the looks the diners get from people leaving and arriving at the parks were priceless. We asked the cost, thinking it would be extravagant, but he said it would be the same as our dinner was. We used to love Wishes FW cruises, which cost about the same, so I am fairly certain there is a monorail dinner for us with DS at some point in our future. :p

Tinky624 said:
That sounds wonderful, glad you had a great time! Can you please tell us who you called to make that reservation. We would love to do it! Is it just the WDW-DINE #. Thanks for the help.

DH called the Grand Floridian and requested Private Dining. From there, he worked with someone via phone and email to make all the plans. He confirmed before we left, and once again the day of. It was fantastic!! I highly recommend this - it was so out of the ordinary and fun that I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Thanks so much....I was trying to do a small group for my trip in Aug but really didn't have time. I think I might try again in Dec....I loved your report.

Excellent review ~ Thanx for sharing.

What a lovely DH you have.

slk537 said:
No problem! I asked him again and he said it was about $220 with an additional $20 extra tip. He also said "worth every penny"

Wow! That is SO much less than I would have guessed! Sounds like you had a fantastic time - thanks for sharing!!

Ok so if I ever get married again, this would be a dream proposal (swoon). Oh heck, I don't know if I'll ever do that again or if I should just treat myself someday.

I have been thinking about this and even went as far as getting the number. After reading your review I called and left a message. I hope I can book this on such short notice. Thanks for posting your review. :teeth:

Swan said:
I have been thinking about this and even went as far as getting the number. After reading your review I called and left a message. I hope I can book this on such short notice. Thanks for posting your review. :teeth:

Oh please keep us posted!!! I would love to hear what you end up doing!

Ok, I am going to show this to DH and say something like "What a wonderful man she has married" or "She's the luckiest woman in the world" :rolleyes: I hope he takes the hint!! LOL :rolleyes1

Courney returned my call today. She said it is not to short of notice and she is going to e-mail me the menu and some options. Can't wait to see whatmy options are.

How lovely of your DH to do this for you guys. :lovestruc

My DH can be quite romantic but wouldn't have a clue how to go about doing something like this. You are very lucky.

Now, I want to hear more about eating a private meal on the monorail!! Someone has to call and get the scoop. Sounds amazing! :cloud9:

Wow! This sounds great! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Did your DH choose the location of your meal? Can this be done anywhere? Do you know if GF is the only hotel that offers this?

I would love to have seen the people eating on the monorail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter