Grand Floridian, Poly, or Contemporary?

Monarchgirl

Earning My Ears
We went to Disney for the first time last May and stayed off-site for the first 4 days, then at the Beach Club for 3 nights. We are going again in October and are doing the same thing, only in reverse (3 nights on Disney property, then 4 nights off-site). This time we want to stay at one of the hotels on the monorail - Contemporary, Polynesian or Grand Floridian (sorry, I am too new to use all the abbreviations without making a fool of myself, so bear with me. lol)

We have 2 kids, ds will be 7 1/2 when we go in October, and dd will be just over 2.

What I REALLY wanted was a Tower, theme park view room at the Contemporary, but it's unavailable for the dates we want. I could change the dates, but I am counting on the discount I can get from my uncle who is a cast member, and only the Garden Wing rooms are available for that.

So.. Which would you recommend? If I keep my original dates (Oct 18-21) we can stay at the Poly or the Grand Floridian. If I change my dates we can stay at either of those or the Contemporary in the Garden Wing.

Are they all equally kid friendly? Equally "nice"? Is there any reason that the contemporary would be worth changing the dates for, even though we'd be in the Garden Wing?

Which is easiest w/ kids with regard to access to the monorail, etc?

We'll plan our MK days for the days when we are on-property, and we'll probably do MNSSHP as well.

Thanks for any advice!

We have stayed at two of the three--the Poly and the CR (we have never had a desire to stay at the GF). We prefer the Poly because of the theme over the CR...but both are very nice resorts.

We've stayed at the Poly and GF. Would pick Poly over GF anyday. The theming is great, staff is wonderful, and location can't be beat!!

If you want easy access for the Monorail with kids it would have to be the Contemporary. For example when leaving the Magic Kingdom they are the next stop so you don't have a long wait, plus you will also have the walkway to and from the Magic Kingdom. I say you should keep trying for the Magic Kingdom view if one becomes available however if that does not happen and you don't want the Garden Wing, then my suggestion would be to try the Polynesian.

I don't know much about the Grand Floridian and the Contemporary resorts except I know that they are supposed to be very nice. We have stayed at the Polynesian two times now and it is a great resort and our favorite. It has very large rooms, very convenient location to the other parks, good restaurants and shops, and a wonderful swimming pool with a water slide. :thumbsup2

The Poly used to be my absolute favorite resort. Since we bought into DVC, we have not stayed there lately. I decided to pay for a room on our last trip, & we went for the GF. It was sooo nice!! I actually tried to add another night onto our stay, but it was all booked up. The room was just so lavish. The bed was great, & the quick restaurant was good too. I would definitely stay at the GF again. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. The Poly has 2 great restaurants 'Ohana & Kona. The theme of the GF is more upscale, & the Poly is very tropical. I love them both.

Poly hands down. We liked GF when we went there for dinner at Narcoosse's but I don't know - there was just something about it. And DH did not like the Contemporary at all and doesn't ever want to stay there. He loved the Poly when we went there for breakfast and we plan on staying there in Dec.

...We have 2 kids, ds will be 7 1/2 when we go in October, and dd will be just over 2... Which would you recommend? If I keep my original dates (Oct 18-21) we can stay at the Poly or the Grand Floridian. If I change my dates we can stay at either of those or the Contemporary in the Garden Wing.

Are they all equally kid friendly? Equally "nice"? Is there any reason that the contemporary would be worth changing the dates for, even though we'd be in the Garden Wing?

Which is easiest w/ kids with regard to access to the monorail, etc?

We'll plan our MK days for the days when we are on-property, and we'll probably do MNSSHP as well.
We have stayed at all the MK Resorts...CR Tower would provide an advantage to access the monorail, otherwise if you get the garden the three resorts are pretty much equal...but GF and PR have wider monorail cue isles. You can walk to the MK from the CR, so this could be a plus if you plan on going to the MNSSHP and transportation is jammed.

GF and PR share a water launch for a second way to get to from the resort to the MK (loop route MK to GF to PR to MK). PR is next to the TTC so you have fairly quick access to the TTC (monorail line to Epcot and MK Ferry) unless you are placed in a building on the other end of the resort. It is easy to get on the monorail and go to any of the other monorail resorts to dine, so it isn't all that important to stay at one due to their restaurants. A key factor may be theming and all three resorts are kid friendly...it just a matter of theme appeal(fit), pool offerings(slides, size), views, kid activities, etc.

Poly hands down. We liked GF when we went there for dinner at Narcoosse's but I don't know - there was just something about it. And DH did not like the Contemporary at all and doesn't ever want to stay there. He loved the Poly when we went there for breakfast and we plan on staying there in Dec.

I read your post and I knew exactly what you meant. The GF is lovely - but isnt 'Disney fantasy' like the Poly is to me. I dont feel like Im in the Golden 1900's decade at the GF I just feel like Im at a nice hotel. I could do that anywhere! I go to disney for the special qualities - the dreamlike items you cant find anywhere else - a monorail zipping you from a tropical paradise...with a volcano banked pool, to my favorite theme park MK...monorail obviously is at the GF as well - but I dont feel like Im being whisked away to a fantasyland at GF. My husband says he couldnt stay at the GF because he would feel - in his words "too uptight". :rolleyes:

Strangely this feeling doesnt apply to hubby when talking about the Contemporary. There is a level of fun there - with the oddly shaped topiaries, and Chef Mickeys...and the ceramic mural on the concourse....Its different enough to warrant a visit. We have never stayed. The GF on the other hand really doesnt stand out to me.

I won't imply that this feeling is something other guests feel about GF, as I know there are many die hard fans....but there is a certain pretentiousness to me that doesnt allow me to feel totally relaxed.

Two conflicting comments:

1) You can WALK a cranky child back to the CR from the Magic Kingdom. Regardless of how many thousands of people are waiting for the monorail after the fireworks, you can be back in your room in 15 minutes.

2) Take a look at the Volcano pool at the Poly... my kids can't wait!!

We stayed at the Poly last year and it is now my favorite WDW resort. Everything was so calm and comfortable, and everybody at the resort was having a great time. We especially liked the fact that you can just hop on the MK/resort monorail from the resort, or walk five minutes to the TTC and go to Epcot. :wizard:

I vote for the Poly, it is fun for the kids and has great dining options

We love the GF; it is beautiful, especially during the holiday season, and is not "stuffy" as some suggest. Most of the negatives about this resort come from those who have never stayed there. We made those same comments before when we only visited the resort. We would love to try the Poly but unfortunately, there is only one sink and makes the room less convenient.

We have stayed at both the Poly and GF.

We did not like the Poly at all. The theming was nice BUT we felt the rooms were very dark, mousekeeping was bad. A dirty cup layed on the floor by the soda machine for days. Staff acted like robots. We had a convenient Longhouse to the main building but my in-laws were so far away they just went to the TTC to take the monorail vs. walking to the main building.

We LOVED the GF. The staff was outstanding and attentive. All the buildings were a short walk to the main building. Rooms were bright and cheery and very clean. My daughter received a solid white chocolate Mickey and cookies along with a card from Aurora for her Birthday.

In Oct we are staying at CR because a water view was not available at GF for our stay and that is the type of view my husband wanted. We have a Bay Lake View booked. My kids and husband always wanted to stay there but I never liked the old decor. The new decor is very nice IMO so we are going to try it out. Hey try everything once, twice if you like it ;)

Good luch on your decision :)

I am saving my pennies to stay and the GF when my husband and I celebrate our 10 year anniversary. We did the Cinderella dinner and I fell in love with the hotel. I would stay at the contempory with small kids. We walked from the buses to the CR to eat at Chef Mickey and it was very nice especially with strollers. Poly is also nice and I would take my kids there when they are preteen for the experience if I can afford it.

We stayed at the Poly several times when I was little. That was a long time ago! I haven't been back (to stay, only for Ohana) to the Poly in 19 years!! We're going back to stay for 9 days this Sept. I love the theme of the Poly. I also have *wonderful* childhood memories there, so that is a driving force in my decision. I don't like the GF theming much. It's just not "Disney" enough for me....my DH always stayed at the Contemporary and we considered switching to that at one point, but the Volcano pool at the Poly is really neat!
Good luck and you'll have a great time no matter where you stay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter