Grand Floridian in January?

poppop

Mouseketeer
We will be staying at the Grand Floridian January 5- 10, 2003. How is it during this time of year? This will be our first stay at the GF and also the first time in January.

Hi. I stayed at the Grand Floridian the first week in January this year. It was pretty quiet (we had spent New Years over at the Contemporary - it was busy everywhere!). It was cold (in the 30's at night) and it rained almost every day, so the weather wasn't too great. I was able to get a great rate at the GF, though ($276 w/ tax for lagoon view, it was an Annual Passholder rate). I'd just make sure to pack ponchos, jackets, and warm clothes! :)

Is cold, wet weather the norm in Janaury or is it just more of a possibilty?

Well, I know the second to the last week of January in 1999 it was in the 40's and 50's, with a little rain. January is the coldest month in Florida.

I noticed that the resorts covered the flowers nightly to avoid frost, and at the GF Valet desk they had heaters that the CM's stood around.

:)

It varies from year to year; it can ether be hot or cold, wet or dry. Maybe some local Floridians could help a little more with that one! ;)

It does vary, January is not predictable.
we spent Jan 13 - 18th at the grand floridian last year (2001) and we had great weather, sunny and low 70's every day (however the week before that they had frost!)
this year we were at BWV for marathon weekend January 4 - 8th. it was freezing cold! it went down to the low 30's at night, and it was only up to about 60 during the day.
florida usually has about 2 weeks of very cold weather around end december/January. I hope you have good luck with the weather!
I'll be at BCV this january for the marathon, Jan 10 - 14th, I hope it isnt like it was last year for the marathon, I froze my butt off waiting for it to start!

have a wondeful time, and pack for all weather, 30's and 80's,
you'll have a great time no matter what though, you'll be in WDW!

and the GF is fantastic, you'll love it.

Laura :)

How long do they keep Christmas Decorations up? Do they come down right after New Years?

I think they started taking the stuff down at the GF on the second of Jan. I watched the gingerbread house come down. :)

We were there last year from 1/1 to 1/9. We had a wonderful time although as Cali and Laura noted it was cold. I'm almost sure the tree was still up on the 9th but they took down the gingerbread house very early during our stay...maybe the 2nd or 3rd. We have been in Dec. or Jan. quite a few times and the weather does vary wildly. That was the longest cold streak we've hit though. The GF is a beautiful resort and we had wonderful service there. Enjoy your trip!!

Oops, Cali! You posted faster than me! Though I'm glad to know my memory hasn't failed me altogether with regard to the Gingerbread House!

they sem to take a long time taking down the decorations! I had always heard that they take them down immediately on Jan 2nd. but when we were there this January, it was the 4th - 8th, and the decorations in the parks were all still up. the tree was down at the YC lobby, but at the BW all the decorations were up still even on the 8th when we were leaving!
so, they do stay up a while!

hope you get to see them!

Laura :)

Thanks to all. Initially, we wanted to avoid the crowds and go the week after New Years. However, we want to see all the decorations so, we have decided to brave the crowds and go December 30-January 2.

It's a long way off but we are already exited.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter