Grand floridian cafe vs. Kona cafe

LeahA

DIS Veteran
We will be at the MK and were looking to monorail it over to either the GF for lunch or the POLY for lunch. Both menus look good to me. We ate at Kona once for breakfast, but never for lunch. We have never dined anywhere at the GF. Which do you all prefer? :)

Love both. But the chocolate fondue is better at Kona. Hope this helps. :goodvibes

I'm having the same exact dilemma!!! So glad you posted this. I am leaning Twd floridian cafe but Kona cafe looks more fun.

I'm having the same exact dilemma!!! So glad you posted this. I am leaning Twd floridian cafe but Kona cafe looks more fun.

I have 3 boys too! Just trying to come up with some new ideas without breaking the bank!

I have 3 boys too! Just trying to come up with some new ideas without breaking the bank!

:) boysss! I'm on the DDP so Im not thinking really about the price (never thought I would say that). The floridian cafe looks soothing & it's someplace I think I would love. Plus looking at the menu I know my boys will like the food. I think it's a calm escape from Magic kingdom (we will be doing RD to Wishes). As much as my boys enjoy a wild & fun time, they don't mind relaxing @ a nice place. ***** on the other side Kona looks like tons of fun w/ more food choices that the boys will love. Someone else recommended Whispering Canyon @ WL that u can take a boat to! But, that seems a bit loud although the most fun of them all!!!! Let me know what you decide! :) :) :)

Not sure why you think Kona would be tons of fun.....they don't have any activities or anything. For fun, go to WCC.

I love Kona's menu but have been wanting to try the GFC.

Kona's food is much better than Grand Floridian Cafe. We have tried GFC several times and have never been impressed. We left feeling like we wasted money. Counter service would have been better. :(

I'm not sure I would describe Kona as fun- it has a great menu and consistently good reviews, however the atmosphere is pretty but kind of like a quiet coffee shop.

I would choose Kona over GFC and WCC, though!

Had the steak for lunch at Kona during our Feb stay at Poly. It was not good. Tough and overseasoned. Wife had a brie-bacon burger (iirc) and it was fantastic.

Not sure why you think Kona would be tons of fun.....they don't have any activities or anything. For fun, go to WCC.

I love Kona's menu but have been wanting to try the GFC.

I don't know... It was explained as "more fun than floridian cafe" again I've never been. So what do I know? **sorry *** I'm trying to figure out between those 2 restaurants as well so thanks for the feedback!

I don't know... It was explained as "more fun than floridian cafe" again I've never been. So what do I know? **sorry *** I'm trying to figure out between those 2 restaurants as well so thanks for the feedback!

Kona seems more laid back than GFC. Just because of the GF itself. Not really the restaurants fault. Neither one is fun. No entertainment but KC is probably more casual. JMO

I've been to both & I love experiencing both resorts! So I'd do one for breakfast & one for dinner!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

GFC is very beautiful. When we ate there (dinner) we skipped over from MK also. We found the food to be very very good! We loved it. Very upscale, pretty -- nice views ...

IMGP7483 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

IMGP7485 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

View from our table:

IMGP7487 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

GF-DSCN0264 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

IMGP7490 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

KONA was wonderful -- we ate there for breakfast (awesome!!) and dinner. This is much more relaxed-feeling. Pretty surroundings, of course - it's the Poly! (ha) Being "open" to the lobby area, it's a little noisier than GFC because people are walking/talking, music playing from lobby and shops, etc.

DSCN9261 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

DSCN9262 by Ilivetogo toFL, on Flickr

I think they're both really great choices. They're both really good. If it was ME ... I'd go to the one I hadn't been to before - just so I could experience it. Especially with DDP ... you don't have to worry about the cost.

I would most likely try the GF Cafe since you have never been there before. We are staying at the Poly for the first time so I plan on trying both Kona and GF Cafe this trip. :)

LiveToGo: I'm NOT the OP but thank you for your personal input... You helped me almost come to a decision! I'm going to Ohana our last night so I will experience the Poly then. :)

I think we will try Grand Floridian Cafe, we have eaten at Kona Cafe for breakfast before. We have never been to the Grand Floridian, it would be nice to experience it.

Thanks for all your responses!

We will be at the MK and were looking to monorail it over to either the GF for lunch or the POLY for lunch. I think we will try Grand Floridian Cafe

Keep in mind that probably the easiest and quickest transporation route (unless you have open strollers, wheelchairs, scooters) is to take the GF/Poly/MK boat to the GF from the MK (it's the first stop), and then resort the monorail back to the MK (the first stop) from the GF.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter