Grand Cayman Turtle Farm

crissichef

DIS Veteran
Has anyone toured the Turtle Farm on their own? I see a lot of excursions that visit the Turtle Farm along with other things but has anyone just gone there?

Thanks,
Crissi

Hello - we are on the same double dip cruise! Yes we have toured the turtle farm on our own. In 2006 we got off the ship (me, 2 kids and a friend and her 2 kids). We walked to where all the taxis are (tons of them) and asked for a tour with hell, the rum cake factory, the turtle farm and a beach stop. We negotiated a price we liked (can't even remember what now but very good price) and were taken on a private tour. At the end he dropped us at the beach and came back for us at the time we specified. If he had not come back we would have been fine anyway - there are taxis everywhere. We enjoyed our private tour and would definitely recommend this. No probs at all. This time we will probably stay on the ship. We have already been to Grand Cayman twice. We are bummed about Costa Maya not being ready....

Hello - we are on the same double dip cruise! Yes we have toured the turtle farm on our own. In 2006 we got off the ship (me, 2 kids and a friend and her 2 kids). We walked to where all the taxis are (tons of them) and asked for a tour with hell, the rum cake factory, the turtle farm and a beach stop. We negotiated a price we liked (can't even remember what now but very good price) and were taken on a private tour. At the end he dropped us at the beach and came back for us at the time we specified. If he had not come back we would have been fine anyway - there are taxis everywhere. We enjoyed our private tour and would definitely recommend this. No probs at all. This time we will probably stay on the ship. We have already been to Grand Cayman twice. We are bummed about Costa Maya not being ready....

Hi - I didn't realized at first that the Turtle Farm is part of Boatswain's Adventure Marine Park. Was it in the same place when you were there? Do you know anything about it?

Thanks,
Crissi

Hi, we did Boatswains this past October on our own. We had also went a few years back when it was the old Turtle farm. If I remember correctly I believe it cost us either $20 or $24 for the taxi there. Its rather nice, they still have several of the turtle tanks, but they also have a snorkel lagoon where you can snorkel with fish and a few turtles (snorkeling equip is included), they also have a fresh water swimming area with a waterfall the kids enjoyed. You can eat lunch there, ok, nothing spectacular. I recommend Boatswains to everyone who goes to Cayman, it is wonderful. Boatswains is also only a block or so from the Rum cake factory, we walked down there this time and bought some cakes. If you'd like your taxi will probably give you a little tour for not much more. Hope this helps, I probably could come across some of our pictures from there if you'd like to shoot me a message, I'd be happy to email you some.

When we arrived in Grand Cayman we wanted to see the turtle farm and hell.

When we headed up the dock, we were told to go to the left to the taxi dispatch station. You can get a two hour tour there for a great price that includes Hell, turtle farm, and quite a few other things. It was well worth it.

The guy said, it would cost more to just go to the turtle farm, lol. We enjoyed getting the great overview of grand cayman. The tour was relaxed, not rushed. Best two hours spent! We did it first thing in the morning when the ship docked.

Hey Crissi: We booked the Boatswain's Marine Park thru Disney, but now I am thinking about just doing it on our own to save some $$$. We are paying $92per person for me, DH and DD (apparently anyone 10 years old and older is concidered and adult to Disney as far as excursions go :confused3 ) DS was $52.

If we just go on our own to the park, the charge to get in is $55 for adults and $25 for kids age 4-12. Kids under 4 are free. My only worry is the cost for a taxi to get there and back.

So, going thru Disney it will be $328 for my family of 4.
Doing it on our own, assuming a taxi will be $20 each way it would be $175

I don't know what we will end up doing :confused:

Do any of you happen to know if you can use a credit card to pay for the admission charge at the gate and to buy lunch or do we need to bring cash for this?

We LOVED Boatswains! We're planning to do it again in January. The snorkeling area was great and the showers were really clean (I am very picky about that). It's nice because you can just walk over and see the turtles when you want to. We did it through Disney, mainly because we are lazy.

Barb,

A question for you, when you did Botswains through DCL, are you given a specific time at the park or is it like Chankanaab and you can leave when you're ready, as long as you allow enough time to get back to the ship of course.

Do any of you happen to know if you can use a credit card to pay for the admission charge at the gate and to buy lunch or do we need to bring cash for this?

We used credit cards last Oct. with no problem at the gate and the gift shop too where we bought a small turtle our son promptly named "Summer" (it was over 90 degrees that day!). I'm certain you can use them for lunch too.

Is there a nice beach there? I would love to see the turtles but I am also interested in seeing a nice beach and was thinking of going to Rum Point. Do you think that I could take a cab to the turtle farm and then to Rum Point for a couple of hours?:cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

We used credit cards last Oct. with no problem at the gate and the gift shop too where we bought a small turtle our son promptly named "Summer" (it was over 90 degrees that day!). I'm certain you can use them for lunch too.

Thank you so much for the quick reply.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter