Grand Cayman - Turtle Farm - on our own?

angelkk

Mouseketeer
This will be our first Western cruise. Our party consists of two kids (5 and 1) and 4 adults (parents, grandparents). As of now we have booked the island tour excursion via Disney, but our main interest is only the turtle farm. I am thinking if we should go on our own? Will that be difficult?

1. Is it easy to get a mini-van taxi (we don't want to travel in 2 cars)?
2. How long (how much) does it take from port to turtle farm?
3. When you get a taxi, do you work out a flat rate (round trip) with the driver?
4. Tendering - any extra time does it take, compared to other islands where Magic can dock?

*if we finally decide to go with Disney (although less likely), just curious - for shore excursions - do you have to tip the driver in cash?

Thanks!

I can help you with some of your questions. We always rent a car of scooters when on GC. Scooters obviously not an option with the young ones. You have to go to the airport to pickup a car. If you don't feel comfortable driving on the left you may want to stick with the taxi.

The new Turtle Farm is fabulous. It is about a 15 -20 minute drive from the port. You see taxis everwhere so it should not be a problem getting one. Please see the attached link: http://www.grand-cayman-travel.com/ Maybe call them and setup a cab in advance. My wife and I did the Butterfly and Turtle Farm last December.

While you are out that way there is a Tortuga Rumcake store. You can drive to the city of Hell. Interesting rock formation.

Plan on about 20-30 minutes from the time you board the tender until you get off on the island.

Doing it on your own puts you on your schedule not theirs. We always do this. Just make sure you leave yourself some buffer time before the last tender leaves. We always just plan on being back in town about 90 minutes before the ship leaves and do a little shopping near the port.

This will be our first Western cruise. Our party consists of two kids (5 and 1) and 4 adults (parents, grandparents). As of now we have booked the island tour excursion via Disney, but our main interest is only the turtle farm. I am thinking if we should go on our own? Will that be difficult?

1. Is it easy to get a mini-van taxi (we don't want to travel in 2 cars)?
2. How long (how much) does it take from port to turtle farm?
3. When you get a taxi, do you work out a flat rate (round trip) with the driver?
4. Tendering - any extra time does it take, compared to other islands where Magic can dock?

*if we finally decide to go with Disney (although less likely), just curious - for shore excursions - do you have to tip the driver in cash?

Thanks!

Thanks sdaniel105!

How long did you spend in Turtle farm? With an infant, we don't plan to leave the ship too early, most likely around 11:00am (assuming 1st tender at 7:00am). Hope to be back on board by 3pm.

How does the taxi-system work in grand cayman? Would be great if we can get a van-taxi that can accomodate 6 passengers. Is it easy to get a taxi outside Turtle Farm?

Just a piggy back on your first response...I agree with Taxi versus rental. We were on the island for a eight days and the driving was definitely awkward for me. My DH was able to grasp it alright though. While we were there I have to say the Turtle Farm was special for us. We have some of the best pictures of our kids with the turtles!!!! They still make me laugh!:)

We Love turtles, so we spent a bit of time there. My dad always told us...
"A Turtle Never Gets "A HEAD" Until He Sticks His Neck Out." It is kind of our fun family motto.

If you are able to stop at the Tortuga Rumcake store, their Rum LIQUEUR is wonderful...it has more a cream texture. It isn't available on the ship.

Have a GREAT time and you will have memories to last a lifetime. Do make sure you leave yourself tendering time!

My wife I purchased tickets for just the Turtle Farm and spent probably about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs there.

I wish I could help you more on the taxi. Been to GC 6 times and have never taken a taxi. Why don't you call a taxi company in advance and setup a van to pick you up at the port at 9AM or something. You could probably call that same driver to pick you up when you are done at the Turtle Farm.

Sean

You rent them for around $25-30 per day. We usually rent them from a small souvenir shop. If you come off the tender, turn left and walk down the main street until you get a main road on your right. Go down that road and it is about the 2nd or 3rd business on the left. You will see the scooters parked out front if they have some.

Helmets are required and they drive on the left so be careful. Make sure you look the right way before pulling out.

Just like a car you need to bring the gas level back to where it was before returning it. If you go out toward the Turtle Farm/ Seven Mile Beach there are a couple gas stations just outside Gerogetown on your way back.

Sean

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!