Grand Cayman on your own?

outahere

DIS Veteran
Just wondering if anyone has ever hired a taxi in Grand Cayman to do a tour. If so what was your experience? We wouldn't mind doing one of the DCL excursion tours, but I have a bad knee and can't do a lot of walking.

If you've done anything else on your own in Grand Cayman, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks.

A few years back we took our two oldest out on our own in GC. We actually took a public bus, which was a minivan. We went to the turtle farm, then picked up another van and came back into town to go to the museum and do some shopping. It was interesting to use public transportation, we got to see a lot of island and talk to some local people.

GC was one of our favorite ports because it was more laid back than the others we've been to since then.

We did a snorkelling excursion through Disney in the morning and when we got back we jumped in a taxi and went to one of the beaches. I don't remember which one, but it was beautiful. We had no problems getting there or back. Well my husband did spend all of our money on a bucket of beer not realizing that it was our taxi money too. Thank goodness my dad was there to get us home. :rotfl2:

Had a fantastic time, floating in the ocean and playing in the sand.

Cemetery Reef is at the north end of Seven-Mile Beach. It is a nice, white sand beach with great snorkeling, and you don't have to swim very far out to the reef. There are tons of fish to see! When we were there, you could rent snorkel gear from a local vendor who set up a table at the beach. It's an easy taxi ride each way and when we were there, not very crowded at all.

We did, and we loved it so much we are doing the exact same thing on our next cruise.

Captain Marvin's Stingray City/ Half-Day snorkel & Maragritaville (swimming)Pool & Bar.

You can read about it starting HERE. :goodvibes

Cayman is fun & easy to do on your own. Cozumel: Not so much.

We just got back from a Western cruise and I agree that Grand Cayman could easily be done on your own with a taxi. We were signed up for the island tour/stingray city snorkle, but it was cancelled due to weather (rough seas coming in--the last tender was actually 2:00pm instead of 4:30pm!). We ended up just doing the island tour with a stop at the turtle farm, Hell, and a quick drive by of 7 mile beach. I'm sure we could have hired a taxi and spent more time looking around at each stop--especially the beach!!!!!

Its a small island and very friendly. I'm sure you would have no problems planning things on your own. Have a great trip!

Turtlemom :wizard:

Thanks everyone.

We're also considering getting a day room at one of the hotels. Anyone have any experience with that, cost, etc.?

We took a taxi to Seve Mile Beach and swam for a few hours. The taxi was around $25 for 7 people one way. Technically you could walk from the port but it's a good little hike. Our taxi driver's name was Kennedy. He was very nice and helpful. He said he was the only driver on the island named Kennedy. lol

We did Captain Marvin's as well and had a great time. Easy to get to and no problems what so ever. We also did our own thing in Cozumel. This was several years ago, but we had no problems getting a taxi at the port and going to do some shopping before heading to a park to do a dolphin swim we booked directly through the company versus through the cruise line. Had no problems getting a taxi back to the port after we were through. Have a great trip!

We also used the public bus/minivan to get back from the beach after our excursion we booked on our own. It was only a few $ for 4 of us, very easy, and a fun experience we'll never forget. Cayman is great because it is so safe and the people are very friendly.

Did you try Cozumel on your own? What problems did you have there? We were thinking of renting a car and driving around.

<

Yes, that is exactly what we did.

We made one huge mistake, we went for the cheaper car rental place which looked to be only a couple of blocks from Punta Lagosta but those were loooooong blocks, it was easily over a mile -maybe 2- walk (with in our case a baby, stroller, several bags of towels changes of clothes, snorkeling gear, etc.) And then when we got there they said they wouldn't take a credit card even though it even said they were accepted on our reservation (which we had printed out and had right there to show her :confused3). Wish I could remember who they were...Alamo? Anyway after waiting for the clerk there to talk to the manager over the phone, etc. it was still a no go (we did have some cash but didn't want to use it ont he rental b/c we wanted to have some onhand just in case we ended up having issues....) BUT there was another company right across the street (Executive or Enterprise, and we went with them with no problem. I am so sorry I don't recall the exact names!) Anyway the moral of this story is to just go with the place right at the Pier. It costs a few pesos more (lol, actually more like dinieros!) but it is so worth it to not have made that ridiculous trek.

You may have already read this but I think it is a great resource for doing-it-yourself rentals in Cozumel: Cozumel Rental Cars: The Inside Scoop I would totally print this out and take it with you, I wish I had. We also bought a great map, it came in very handy. It gets rave reviews on cruise critic..only costs about $8...I thought it was worth it, you can find that HERE.

They did try the gas scam on DH when he took it to fill up, they tried to charge him $18 USD when it should have been $8 USD (8000 Pesos or whatever) but he knew the conversion and saw what they are doing and said "No, it should be $8" and they were suprised he was onto them, LOL, but took the $8 with no trouble!

As for the trip itself, we did have a blast and really enjoyed getting to see all that the beautiful island has to offer. We really enjoyed El Mirador (the bluffs, which is neato rock formations on the beach) and the Blowhole on the east side. We had lunch and extremely strong drinks at Coconuts...we had to sit there and chill out for an hour or so as the drinks were so strong we were afraid to drive (very strict DUI laws and we wanted no interaction with the federales! ;)) We stopped at some of the beautiful beach resorts on the west side, it was raining at Punta Sur so we just drove by. The route we took was south from the pier along the west coast on the main road and across the southern tip by Punta Sur then back up the east coast and traveled back to downtown vis Tranversal Rd.

The only other thing we did not really like is how agressive they are at the downtown shops. As you walk past, each and every shop has about three guys or gals standing outside pleading with you to come in. "Rich American, come in here" Etc. I was not touched although I have read some of them will touch or grab your arm. I advise to wear sunglasses and look straight ahead when walking. They also talk to your kids and try to get your kids to come look at stuff which is very frustrating IMO. This is worst at the pier shopping complex and the streets in the inmmediate port area downtown. The further away you get the more that kind of annyong behavior subsides. In fact waaaaay over by the car rental place there was a lovely shop with a very nice lady who let the kids sit in her chairs and she was very sweet and not agressive at all. I wish I had bought my stuff there, cause we never did end up going into another shop, it was just too much with the honchos following people around. Ugh.

Anyway I don't want to be a downer, we did have a great time and we are glad we did it. We probably won't do Cozumel on our own again, although now we have a better idea what to expect.

I hope this helps you a bit...I have not gotten to the Cozumel part in my TR yet (but I am almost there!). The link is in my signature, be sure to check back in a couple of weeks or so as I will post a very detailed play by play of our day with a whole lot of pictures. :goodvibes

Have a great cruise!!! :)

Grand Cayman is safe. I would cerainly consider renting a car there.

We did it at Cabo and Aruba on the eastbound repo last year.

Thanks everyone.

We're also considering getting a day room at one of the hotels. Anyone have any experience with that, cost, etc.?

Last April we got a room at the Westin. We used Starwood points as my husband travels alot...The kids had a blast snorkling all day. It was a 5 minute taxi ride. The best part was having a room and showering the kids before heading back to the ship. :cool1: We had such a great experience that we are planning a trip back to there...Hope this helped.

Yes, that is exactly what we did.

We made one huge mistake, we went for the cheaper car rental place which looked to be only a couple of blocks from Punta Lagosta but those were loooooong blocks, it was easily over a mile -maybe 2- walk (with in our case a baby, stroller, several bags of towels changes of clothes, snorkeling gear, etc.) And then when we got there they said they wouldn't take a credit card even though it even said they were accepted on our reservation (which we had printed out and had right there to show her :confused3). Wish I could remember who they were...Alamo? Anyway after waiting for the clerk there to talk to the manager over the phone, etc. it was still a no go (we did have some cash but didn't want to use it ont he rental b/c we wanted to have some onhand just in case we ended up having issues....) BUT there was another company right across the street (Executive or Enterprise, and we went with them with no problem. I am so sorry I don't recall the exact names!) Anyway the moral of this story is to just go with the place right at the Pier. It costs a few pesos more (lol, actually more like dinieros!) but it is so worth it to not have made that ridiculous trek.

We were going to rent from ISIS which gets good reviews on Cruise Critic and other places. They weren't the bad ones were they? :confused3

<

We were going to rent from ISIS which gets good reviews on Cruise Critic and other places. They weren't the bad ones were they? :confused3

<

No..it was one of the "A"'s ...Alamo or Avis! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter