Grand Californian villas

BlueSuitDonald

Mouseketeer
We are planning a trip next summer to Disneyland. Considering staying in a deluxe studio. Was wondering if the sleeper sofa would comfortably sleep 2 adults? Is it a queen sleeper? Any other info on the deluxe studio would be appreciated.

I haven't paid too much attention to the sleeper as my son is the one who sleeps on it. I think it's probably a queen. It doesn't look overly large. But, I think 2 adults would be ok on it unless they're really tall.

We own at VGC, but have only been 1 so far. We rent a 2 bedroom and 2 of my sons use the pull out (I assume they are the same as the ones in a studio). I have slept on it for a nap and I was surprised at how comfortable it was. I would guess if is a little narrower than a queen though.

I’ve rented 3 times from David’s (twice at VGC and once in Disney World) and I would highly recommend it! The only thing is if you want a studio at VGC, you need to book before 7 months out. More than likely there will not be any studios left at 7 months.

As with all DVC you reuse towels until day 4 and get a full clean at day 8 if you are still there. This changes a bit some years so just do a web search for the latest update.

If rather than renting points, you book a villa directly from Disney ($$$$), you’ll get daily service.

As with all DVC you reuse towels until day 4 and get a full clean at day 8 if you are still there. This changes a bit some years so just do a web search for the latest update.

If rather than renting points, you book a villa directly from Disney ($$$$), you’ll get daily service.
Unfortunately, the studios at VGC are so limited that it's extremely rare to ever see one pop up through Disney for a cash reservation.

Do you rent the villa or own it? Do you think we would be more comfortable in a regular room?
I own DVC, but not at VGC (something I hope to change soon). Most of my stays there have been on my own points where I was lucky enough to book something at 7 months. But, when we went for DL's 60th & I wanted to be there on that specific day, I knew 7 months wasn't an option. So, I rented points that time. I did try David's, which I've only heard great things about, but they didn't have any VGC points available. So, I called another company on the web, who's name I'm not allowed to mention on the boards. Literally, they will wipe it from the post & I'll get a warning email about their advertisers. But, that company easily got me a VGC reservation about 9 months out. I had to pay a bit more per point because it was more than 7 months, but it was still much less than booking a normal GCH room through Disney.

Can you request more towels?
Short answer: Yes, but there's a fee for that. Long answer below.

From the Villas at the Grand Californian website (retrieved today 9/23/17):
Trash & Towel Service
For stays of 7 nights or fewer, Trash & Towel Service is provided on day 4, regardless of whether you're staying on a Member-discounted cash reservation, Vacation Points reservation, or a combination of both.

With Trash & Towel Service, Housekeeping will:
Empty trash and replace liners in trash bins
Provide fresh bathroom linens
Replace bath amenities as needed
Replenish facial tissues, paper towels and toilet paper
Replenish coffee, sugar, cream and sweeteners

You can request additional Trash & Towel service for a studio at $15 per day. Or you can request a Towel Package:
Towel Package: $6 - includes 4 bath towels, 2 hand towels, 4 washcloths, 1 bath mat

Also note that when staying in a DVC room on points, you have free use of a laundry room on site (all rooms larger than studios have a washer and dryer in the room). So you can wash your towels for the cost of laundry detergent (they have machines where you can buy single-load boxes).

So would you recommend a studio villa or a regular 2 queen hotel room? It would be 3 adults, 1 child. Child is 12. Looks like the villa would be cheaper but worried about the sleeper sofa being big enough and comfortable enough for a 21 year old and 12 year old.

Last year I rented a studio at the GC from David's. We had a great experience and I have an upcoming to trip to VGF, also through David's. The process is easy. I made my request at 11 months out both times.

I think the sofa bed is definitely big enough for 2 people but the question is whether or not you'll be comfortable. I didn't sleep on the sofa bed at VGC, but my sister and I did share one at Saratoga Springs Resort at WDW in FL and it was honestly not comfortable. It was tolerable at best. Far from ideal, but workable if you are willing to compromise your comfort to save $$.

There's a VGC owner's thread in the DVC forums that might have better info about the sofa beds. https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...-californian-owners-lovers-group-2-0.2592085/

I think the studios have a mini fridge and microwave over the hotel rooms too? The views of paradise pier are better too.

If you can swing the points for a 1 bedroom villa, that has a pull down murphy bed in the living room in addition to the sofa sleeper. Plus, there are 2 bathrooms, so it functions much more like a 2 bedroom than 1.

I'd also call the hotel to see if they have a soft mattress topper for the couch. We got two when we stayed at Saratoga Springs and many other timeshare resorts we've stayed at had them as well.

Do you think that they have rollaways that we could rent for an extra bed? And would there be room in the studio for that?

Do you think that they have rollaways that we could rent for an extra bed? And would there be room in the studio for that?
I'm not sure if they have rollaways. If so, you could probably technically fit one....maybe. But, the room would no longer be comfortable. You wouldn't be able to move around it.

Unfortunately, the studios at VGC are so limited that it's extremely rare to ever see one pop up through Disney for a cash reservation.

How would you even see this cash availability? I know for BLT and others at WDW, you are able to book cash reservations for the DVC villas online, but I have never seen this on the DLR website. Is it by phone only, if ever available?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter