Grand Californian Super Thread

@pharmama @twodogs @ParkHopper1
Thank you all so very much! I will keep checking for her. She wants to go from October 18-21 so she can meet up with friends who will also be there at the same time so they can do the parks together with their kids. Hopefully something will turn up!

@pharmama @twodogs @ParkHopper1
Thank you all so very much! I will keep checking for her. She wants to go from October 18-21 so she can meet up with friends who will also be there at the same time so they can do the parks together with their kids. Hopefully something will turn up!
That is the produce convention. We are going the exact same dates. I think I saw that the room block releases 9/20, so rooms may open up.

I book direct online via the Annual Passholder tab. If a better deal comes up, I call and they make the adjustment. This just happened for our last trip. It saved me hundreds of dollars plus we received Fast Passes and a $20 food voucher. Always worth following up and making sure you got the best promotion. They release stuff all the time.

Only 12 days to go until we are at GCH Club level for my first DL stay in 28 years! I'm so excited that my adult sons are joining us (23/27) and staying at the Grand too! So are we best to use DCA entrance as our way to get in every day?? I am trying to understand the lay of the land, but it's hard to picture where we need to go. If we are doing a DL day, is it just as easy to go through the Grand to DCA entrance for our entry?? or do we walk through DTD to the main gates?? Also our first night we are having dinner at SH55 which I hear is in DLH. What's our best bet to get there and back to the Grand without getting lost? Thanks for any tidbits you can offer!

Only 12 days to go until we are at GCH Club level for my first DL stay in 28 years!...
There have been many changes in 28 years :goodvibes
...So are we best to use DCA entrance as our way to get in every day?? I am trying to understand the lay of the land, but it's hard to picture where we need to go. If we are doing a DL day, is it just as easy to go through the Grand to DCA entrance for our entry?? or do we walk through DTD to the main gates??...
I recommend going through DTD to the main entrances of DL and DCA, for the first hour of park opening. This avoids a possible long line at the GCH entrance to DCA, at other times this entrance is very convenient.
...Also our first night we are having dinner at SH55 which I hear is in DLH. What's our best bet to get there and back to the Grand without getting lost?...
It's an easy walk to SH55. Exit GCH into DTD and turn left. DLH is at the end of DTD. SH55 is in the far short building (the other buildings are hotel towers).
...Thanks for any tidbits you can offer!
A couple random tips:
  • Have Bell Services take your bags directly from the your car (or taxi), since there can be a line to check bags inside.
  • Club Level guests can check-in on the 6th floor (near the elevators off the lobby)

Only 12 days to go until we are at GCH Club level for my first DL stay in 28 years! I'm so excited that my adult sons are joining us (23/27) and staying at the Grand too! So are we best to use DCA entrance as our way to get in every day?? I am trying to understand the lay of the land, but it's hard to picture where we need to go. If we are doing a DL day, is it just as easy to go through the Grand to DCA entrance for our entry?? or do we walk through DTD to the main gates?? Also our first night we are having dinner at SH55 which I hear is in DLH. What's our best bet to get there and back to the Grand without getting lost? Thanks for any tidbits you can offer!
We love to enter DCA first when going to DL, but sometimes they open at the same time or DL opens earlier. In those cases, go through DTD. Even though you hear not to use the Grand entrance into DCA first thing, we have always been inside DCA before opening time (at a rope) even when the lines have been long at Grand entrance. Either way, you are going to go through security. I suppose security opens earlier into DTD, but it has never made a difference when we have used one way vs. another.

We also love to return from DL back to the Grand through DCA if it is open and there isn't a line to enter. I don't know if it is actually shorter, but it seems shorter to us--or just more enjoyable.

One easy way we find the Grand entrance from DTD is to look for the Sephora store (can you tell we have teenage daughters? haha). The Grand entrance from DTD is right next to Sephora. There is a Disney dress store on the other side of the entrance.

Enjoy!!

If we are doing a DL day, is it just as easy to go through the Grand to DCA entrance for our entry?? or do we walk through DTD to the main gates??

There are two way to get to the Esplanade to enter the Disnyland gate from the GCH. From the GCH lobby you can either go though DTD or into DCA then exit DCA into the Esplanade. All things being equal with no security backups it is almost identical time and distance either route.

Now if it is park open for DCA, census is to avoid the DCA age from GCH and head through DTD as that can get backed up at DCA rope drop.

That is the produce convention. We are going the exact same dates. I think I saw that the room block releases 9/20, so rooms may open up.

I hope you are right! Will keep checking! Thanks!

I book direct online via the Annual Passholder tab. If a better deal comes up, I call and they make the adjustment. This just happened for our last trip. It saved me hundreds of dollars plus we received Fast Passes and a $20 food voucher. Always worth following up and making sure you got the best promotion. They release stuff all the time.

Will keep checking, thanks!!!

There are two way to get to the Esplanade to enter the Disnyland gate from the GCH. From the GCH lobby you can either go though DTD or into DCA then exit DCA into the Esplanade. All things being equal with no security backups it is almost identical time and distance either route.

Now if it is park open for DCA, census is to avoid the DCA age from GCH and head through DTD as that can get backed up at DCA rope drop.
Thanks for your reply! This sounds counter-productive to me since one would think that the perk of staying at GCH would be to enter via the private entrance into DCA from the Grand! :P Is the line up really that bad from the Grand into DCA for magic mornings??

A couple random tips:
  • Have Bell Services take your bags directly from the your car (or taxi), since there can be a line to check bags inside.
  • Club Level guests can check-in on the 6th floor (near the elevators off the lobby)

Love these two tips. Will get you started on the right foot. Do not wait in the lobby check-in line. If anything, go straight to the greeting cast member and just verify the Club Concierge is available for check-in upstairs. Go straight there.

Thanks for your reply! This sounds counter-productive to me since one would think that the perk of staying at GCH would be to enter via the private entrance into DCA from the Grand! :P Is the line up really that bad from the Grand into DCA for magic mornings??

It's a great perk the rest of the day. But mixed results in the morning and, at a minimum, you should get to the GCH/DCA entrance EARLY to make it effective and have a good experience. I would rather spend those extra minutes feeling not-so-rushed.

Another nice bonus of going to DCA through Downtown Disney is mobile order Starbucks from the room and pick it up on the way. You will arrive at DCA main gates with your pick of shorter lines and nice food/drink in hand. Ready to go!

We just checked out today and we used the DCA entrance for EMH Monday and Wednesday. Monday we arrived at the entrance just a minute or two after 7 (for a 7am EMH). There was one couple ahead of us. Wednesday we got there around 6:45 and we were back halfway to WWS. We were in the parks and on our way right at 7:01. This was also our experience two years ago so for us, we have no problem using the private entrance early in the morning.

Also our first night we are having dinner at SH55 which I hear is in DLH. What's our best bet to get there and back to the Grand without getting lost?

When going to the DLH, for S55 or Trader Sam's, I prefer going the route that avoids DTD and security. Not that I have anything to hide, but you can get really delayed having to go through long bag check lines. At the Grand, just follow the path out near where the entrance shack is for the cars. There is a security gate that requires a room key to get back into the hotel, but since you're staying there you're covered. Cross Disneyland Drive and follow the path past the Paradise Pier hotel. There is a small "roundabout" at the end of that street. It's also where the Self Parking lot for the Grand ends, follow the sidewalk to the right towards Downtown Disney. You'll see a path on the left which will take you past one of the towers of the DLH. Trader Sam's is at the top of the walkway when you emerge, just keep following the path either over the ramp that goes over the pool area, or turn right to walk along the side of the hotel. There will be signs to help you find, it, but it is in the same building as the lobby, just tucked into the back far corner of that building.

Quick question re the newly reopened white water snacks...is that the craftsman grill?? Wondering if it still has a microwave and toaster for hotel guests and water (the soda fountains used to have a water option I believe). Thanks in advance :)

Quick question re the newly reopened white water snacks...is that the craftsman grill?? Wondering if it still has a microwave and toaster for hotel guests and water (the soda fountains used to have a water option I believe). Thanks in advance :)

I can answer one of your questions! There are Coke Freestyle machines that do have water.

There are microwaves where the ice machines on each floor. I know it has been posted before on the boards. I will try to find it. I think there was a snack machine or soda machine in there too. Not a big microwave, so if you have a lot to nuke, be prepared for it to take a little bit.

DS11 and I will most likely be visiting DL in March 2020. I've decided I'd like to book GCH, however, I'm having difficulty choosing a room category. I'm quite sensitive to noise and, at this point, when we visit WDW, I now only book 1- or dedicated, 2-bedroom villas in DVC resorts just to ensure there is no exterior door in the bedroom area of our hotel room. Because of this, I think I might have to book a one-bedroom suite at GCH (with a request of 2 queen beds). I'm just wondering - 1) in the one bedroom suites, is there only one exterior door in the living room area of the suite, or will there be an exterior door in the bedroom area as well? 2) Is there a quieter area of the resort I should request? In the description of the room it says we may have "Views of Woods, Theme Park, Downtown Disney District or Pool". I'm assuming I should place a request for a "woods" view for a quieter area, is that correct?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

DS11 and I will most likely be visiting DL in March 2020. I've decided I'd like to book GCH, however, I'm having difficulty choosing a room category. I'm quite sensitive to noise and, at this point, when we visit WDW, I now only book 1- or dedicated, 2-bedroom villas in DVC resorts just to ensure there is no exterior door in the bedroom area of our hotel room. Because of this, I think I might have to book a one-bedroom suite at GCH (with a request of 2 queen beds). I'm just wondering - 1) in the one bedroom suites, is there only one exterior door in the living room area of the suite, or will there be an exterior door in the bedroom area as well? 2) Is there a quieter area of the resort I should request? In the description of the room it says we may have "Views of Woods, Theme Park, Downtown Disney District or Pool". I'm assuming I should place a request for a "woods" view for a quieter area, is that correct?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
As far as the DVC units go, if you mean from the room into the hallway, in the 1-bedroom unit and the dedicated 2-bedroom unit, the only door to the hallway is from the entryway off the kitchen area. Of course there are balcony sliding glass doors as well. I would definitely not request the theme park view. Even the woods view really is close to California Adventure, but it would probably be slightly quieter than the theme park view. I can't speak to the hotel room views, just the DVC unit. If you look at a map of the property, you can kind of get a good idea where things face. Ultimately, GCH is in the middle of Downtown Disney and California Adventure, so in my experience none of the rooms are super quiet. I am a very light sleeper as well, so I travel with a white noise machine and sleep with ear plugs in.

I am now considering booking a standard view - club level room at GCH. Are all of those rooms located on the 6th floor? What kind of view might we get with standard view. I'm really mostly concerned that our room is quiet - any suggestions are appreciated!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter