Grand Californian Super Thread

It actually takes longer to get through security at that entrance than to go through Downtown Disney and use the main entrance. They have less security and the line gets long at the hotel park entrance in the morning before park open. The rest of the day it is a great way in and out of the park.
We have always heard this advice, but every time we decide to use the Grand Californian entrance into DCA, even if the line is long, we end up in the park before opening time and waiting for a rope drop by Grizzly River Run. It's been a couple of years, but the last time we did it, we were led by a CM down to Toy Story Mania and were one of the very first people on the ride. We were on the ride within a couple minutes of the park opening.

We have always heard this advice, but every time we decide to use the Grand Californian entrance into DCA, even if the line is long, we end up in the park before opening time and waiting for a rope drop by Grizzly River Run. It's been a couple of years, but the last time we did it, we were led by a CM down to Toy Story Mania and were one of the very first people on the ride. We were on the ride within a couple minutes of the park opening.
We will need to try it this trip. We are there for 10 days, so we have plenty of time to experiment. My guess is if you are looking to get quickly to Carsland, the front entrance may be better than the hotel entrance? Just based on your description of where the CM led you.

We will need to try it this trip. We are there for 10 days, so we have plenty of time to experiment. My guess is if you are looking to get quickly to Carsland, the front entrance may be better than the hotel entrance? Just based on your description of where the CM led you.
It has been a couple of years since we did this, but I think the CM's split the waiting group from GCH into Carsland and (then Paradise) Pier groups and took us in separate directions. We always did the Paradise Pier group to get on Toy Story, so I don't know how the Carsland group fared compared to the main gate entrance group. My guess would be that Carsland is further and the GCH entrance folks might be slightly behind, but I don't know if they give the GCH folks a slight head start or not. We always were the first group to Toy Story. I'd be curious as to how your 'research' goes, so please let us know! :-)

It has been a couple of years since we did this, but I think the CM's split the waiting group from GCH into Carsland and (then Paradise) Pier groups and took us in separate directions. We always did the Paradise Pier group to get on Toy Story, so I don't know how the Carsland group fared compared to the main gate entrance group. My guess would be that Carsland is further and the GCH entrance folks might be slightly behind, but I don't know if they give the GCH folks a slight head start or not. We always were the first group to Toy Story. I'd be curious as to how your 'research' goes, so please let us know! :-)
I will report back when I return or while I am there if I can!

Weird question...

Does GCH do the individual bottles of shampoo, lotion etc, or have they switched over to the refillable dispensers?

They still have individual bottles of toiletries as of our stay 2 weeks ago.

Regarding the DCA entrance first thing in the morning, we have always avoided it but we decided to try it a few times the last two trips (this Memorial Day weekend and again 2 weeks ago). It actually moves pretty quickly. We were on Paradise Pier and in Carsland before the folks came from the front entrance on the days we tried it. They did not do a rope walk, just opened the turnstiles a few minutes before park opening time. If someone has tons of bags, it can be slow since you are doing bag check and tickets very close to park opening (as opposed to the main entrance, where you clear the bag check where you enter DTD from GCH, then you line up at the turnstiles and wait for park opening). I would give it a try, especially if you can get down there quite early. We were never even that early (maybe 10 minutes prior to park opening) and got in just fine. We were in front of White Water Snacks in the line, and we were inside DCA in about 5 minutes, because I timed it. So you can always walk there and see how far back the line is before you decide about using that line versus the main lines.

Crowds were low during this time due to all of the SWGE stuff, so consider that as well.

They still have individual bottles of toiletries as of our stay 2 weeks ago.

Regarding the DCA entrance first thing in the morning, we have always avoided it but we decided to try it a few times the last two trips (this Memorial Day weekend and again 2 weeks ago). It actually moves pretty quickly. We were on Paradise Pier and in Carsland before the folks came from the front entrance on the days we tried it. They did not do a rope walk, just opened the turnstiles a few minutes before park opening time. If someone has tons of bags, it can be slow since you are doing bag check and tickets very close to park opening (as opposed to the main entrance, where you clear the bag check where you enter DTD from GCH, then you line up at the turnstiles and wait for park opening). I would give it a try, especially if you can get down there quite early. We were never even that early (maybe 10 minutes prior to park opening) and got in just fine. We were in front of White Water Snacks in the line, and we were inside DCA in about 5 minutes, because I timed it. So you can always walk there and see how far back the line is before you decide about using that line versus the main lines.

Crowds were low during this time due to all of the SWGE stuff, so consider that as well.
Great, thanks! Were those during EMH days? I would love to know on those days how early they let you in through turnstiles?

Has anyone stayed club level recently? How was the offerings? Any pictures and do you feel it is worth the cost?
Visited last month. Offerings are generally unchanged since the conversion to the Veranda. Sorry, no pictures.

Veranda opens at 6:00AM (was always 6:30), a recent change.
I was told this while checking in, but did not actually visit that early (printed schedules still show 6:30).

Visited last month. Offerings are generally unchanged since the conversion to the Veranda. Sorry, no pictures.

Veranda opens at 6:00AM (was always 6:30), a recent change.
I was told this while checking in, but did not actually visit that early (printed schedules still show 6:30).

Thanks! It is good to hear they open now at 6am. I wonder if this is just for the 'busy' season.

Has anyone stayed club level recently? How was the offerings? Any pictures and do you feel it is worth the cost?
We are excited to be trying GCH Premium View CL room in September. We started out at GCH then moved to DLH, then moved back to GCH when the small discount came out for September 😊 first time back to DL in 30 years, excited to see all the changes

Anyone happen to know the dimensions of the day beds and how comfortable they would be for a 5’2” adult? Are we talking a cot-like experience or more like an actual bed?

Do they still offer free coffee to GCH guests (with a hotel key card) at Craftsman Grill? I know they used to when it was White Water Snacks, but not sure if that has changed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!