Grand Californian Super Thread

Read on Twitter that they had a DJ playing Lady Gaga at the pool. Is that new with the bar or have they always done that?

In order to just relax in the pool area, you have to get a wrist band? Why can't we just use the room key? Ugh, that really isn't right. I looked at the pictures and thought to myself, wow, Disney is adding nice touches to GCH pool area that makes staying there a little bit easier to justify to the budget, but seeing that it is open to ANYONE, yikes! I do not like that one bit.

Just sayin, I've had to get a wrist band for the pool at significantly less pricey and exclusive and nice hotels.
It's a fairly common practice at many hotels today to keep people from booking a room at a hotel just for the pool, then inviting their 989240 cousins to come swim.

They are real tight on the wrist bands for the pool. very nice area, they had a guitar player start at 4. Nachos looked good.

Interested to see how this works. We stayed last August and spent an entire day at the pool not knowing we needed wrist bands, and not a single person even said anything to us, and they were supposedly "strict" about it then too.
Curious how they will handle similarly clueless guests like us, lol!

Interested to see how this works. We stayed last August and spent an entire day at the pool not knowing we needed wrist bands, and not a single person even said anything to us, and they were supposedly "strict" about it then too.
Curious how they will handle similarly clueless guests like us, lol!
They’re perfectly appropriate about it. If a lifeguard notices they’ll just ask to see your room key and will get you set up with wristbands then. Nothing is awkward as long as you’re not sneaking in. Just remember to have them cut it off before you leave or you’ll be stuck trying to get them off with nail clippers.

I have been at the pool in the past when they gave out wristbands. I also saw lots of swimmers without wristbands so I hope they are more consistent in enforcing this when we return in October.

Hi, we are newbies to Disneyland.... sorry if this has been asked recently. We want to stay at the Grand for Christmas, since this will be our first Christmas away from family, having just moved to San Diego in June. Any chance they’ll offer a room discount at Christmas? Haha I know, I’m crazy, but just thought I’d ask. Looking forward to reading through this entire thread!

Hi, we are newbies to Disneyland.... sorry if this has been asked recently. We want to stay at the Grand for Christmas, since this will be our first Christmas away from family, having just moved to San Diego in June. Any chance they’ll offer a room discount at Christmas? Haha I know, I’m crazy, but just thought I’d ask. Looking forward to reading through this entire thread!

With Star Wars Land Part 2 opening this fall, the likelihood of discounts are pretty thin.

Christmastime is also the Grand's busiest time of year.
I would say less than 2% chance there will be discounted rates over the Christmas break two week period.

With Star Wars Land Part 2 opening this fall, the likelihood of discounts are pretty thin.

Christmastime is also the Grand's busiest time of year.
I would say less than 2% chance there will be discounted rates over the Christmas break two week period.

That’s what I figured.... preparing my husband to pay rack rate. Or go somewhere else! Ha!

Is there a sundries area in the store here? When at Wilderness Lodge @ WDW, we often grab breakfast/snack items and beverages (wine, beer, water, milk, etc.) at the store for the room for the week, so I was wondering if we'll be able to do the same at GCH?

Is there a sundries area in the store here? When at Wilderness Lodge @ WDW, we often grab breakfast/snack items and beverages (wine, beer, water, milk, etc.) at the store for the room for the week, so I was wondering if we'll be able to do the same at GCH?
There are some grab and go items in what was White Water Snacks soon to be Craftsman Grill and there are some items in the Acorn gift shop though I can't remember what all they have as far as snack items. I think between the two you might find what you are looking for.

Staying at the Grand for the first time this fall. I've seen several posts recommending that guests NOT rope drop at the dedicated hotel entrance but I can't figure out exactly why. Since we're springing to stay at the signature hotel, we want to take advantage of all the perks. Can anyone advise?

Staying at the Grand for the first time this fall. I've seen several posts recommending that guests NOT rope drop at the dedicated hotel entrance but I can't figure out exactly why. Since we're springing to stay at the signature hotel, we want to take advantage of all the perks. Can anyone advise?
It actually takes longer to get through security at that entrance than to go through Downtown Disney and use the main entrance. They have less security and the line gets long at the hotel park entrance in the morning before park open. The rest of the day it is a great way in and out of the park.

It actually takes longer to get through security at that entrance than to go through Downtown Disney and use the main entrance. They have less security and the line gets long at the hotel park entrance in the morning before park open. The rest of the day it is a great way in and out of the park.
Makes sense! If we wanted to use that entrance, how early would we need to be in line to ensure we're one of the first scanned in?

Not saying we will do that, just curious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter