Grand Californian Super Thread

Some information about Club Level at GCH:

>>>DIS recently posted a review of Concierge and the Veranda.

>>>A recent thread about the new carving station

I have a few details to add:

The expanded food selection allows me to make one of my favorite breakfast meals:
---bagel, cream cheese, onion, tomato, capers, lox---
gch veranda lox.jpg

The balcony has a much more efficient layout. French doors at both ends (previously sliders) and long horizontal windows. Long counter and small wall mounted tables allow much more seating, and better layout for fireworks viewing.
gch veranda balcony.jpg

The horizontal windows fold (accordion style) against the center column:
gch veranda window.jpg

The former emergency exit near the restroom is now a regular exit, which allows access to some additional seating:
gch veranda exit.jpg
gch veranda seating.jpg

Around the corner from the additional seating is this large cabinet. Perhaps to be used when the lounge is very busy. This dark cabinet is rather ugly, considering it replaces a beautiful arts and crafts cabinet.
gch veranda cabinet.jpg

The single bathroom is nicely remodeled, but no more cloth towels.
gch veranda sink.jpg
Fancy changing table and sharps disposal:
gch veranda changing.jpg
Basketweave floor tile pattern, similar to the remodeled hotel room bathrooms:
gch veranda floor.jpg

GCH has new robes :thumbsup2
The old robes were rather stiff and rough, so not very comfortable.

The new robes are smooth on the outside (silk-like) with a soft interior (microfiber?).
The color is light beige, rather than white.
I neglected to check if they are for sale in the gift shop.

View attachment 301560
Ooooh, I might have to see if I can get myself one of those robes!
I’m really bummed still about Pinnochio’s Workshop. They say it wasn’t used enough but I feel like they should’ve extended it to all onsite guests and maybe advertised it a bit more. So convenient and at less than1/4 price of an in-room babysitter. For the cost of staying on-site, I think it was a nice feature they could provide.

Another question for those of you who have stayed in the remodeled rooms - are there places to hang things in the bathroom? We'll have a couple hanging toiletry bags on our upcoming trip, and I'm finding that fewer hotels have hooks or even towel bars in the bathrooms these days. The last hotel we stayed at, the only option was a towel bar over the toilet, and I was a little grossed out by that. Thanks!

Ooooh, I might have to see if I can get myself one of those robes!
I’m really bummed still about Pinnochio’s Workshop. They say it wasn’t used enough but I feel like they should’ve extended it to all onsite guests and maybe advertised it a bit more. So convenient and at less than1/4 price of an in-room babysitter. For the cost of staying on-site, I think it was a nice feature they could provide.
They already did allow all onsite guests to use it. We took our son there when we stayed at the DLH in 2014. It's really too bad they closed it.

...are there places to hang things in the bathroom?
The shower room has a double towel bar:
gch towel 1.jpg

Next to the sinks are a small hand towel bar (loop) and a regular towel bar (likely the best spot to hang a toiletry bag). There is also a small shelf below the sinks and another above the sinks.
Not the best picture, but does show the layout:
gch towel 2.jpg

The shower room has a double towel bar:
View attachment 302154

Next to the sinks are a small hand towel bar (loop) and a regular towel bar (likely the best spot to hang a toiletry bag). There is also a small shelf below the sinks and another above the sinks.
Not the best picture, but does show the layout:
View attachment 302155

Thank you! I've been starting to think about trying command hooks to hang things since it's been getting rare to see well placed towel bars. This puts my mind at ease.

More photos (again the room didn't photograph as nice as it truly is).

Disappointed they went to all showers as a soak is welcome after a long day. There are a outlets everywhere (both standard and usb) and the refrigerators are now beverage cooler style and work very well (the old ones were generally awful).

@cattywampus , sorry if I missed it somehow, but what room view did you have for this room? Thanks!

...When we left last Sunday at 11:30AM, there was a long line for check-in :scared:
I've been told that half the rooms change guests on Sunday, but GCH needs to reduce these lines (which extended to the center of the lobby and doubled back)....
ohmygosh that's ridiculous. They are in desperate need of the mobile check-in CMs I've seen at WDW, but they'd need a system to get people their keys printed. Are lines shorter other days? We're staying non-CL on our upcoming trip and planned on checking in on a Mon at like 6:30am as I didn't think there would be much of a line for check-in. I thought 30 mins would be good and we'd be able to leave the hotel by 7am, should I consider planning on more time to check-in? I'm not sure I can drag the family out of bed any earlier though...

ohmygosh that's ridiculous. They are in desperate need of the mobile check-in CMs I've seen at WDW, but they'd need a system to get people their keys printed. Are lines shorter other days? We're staying non-CL on our upcoming trip and planned on checking in on a Mon at like 6:30am as I didn't think there would be much of a line for check-in. I thought 30 mins would be good and we'd be able to leave the hotel by 7am, should I consider planning on more time to check-in? I'm not sure I can drag the family out of bed any earlier though...
Not sure if this doesn't hold true for Mondays, but last time we checked in at about 6:30am on a Thursday and we literally just walked right up to the counter.

...The single bathroom is nicely remodeled, but no more cloth towels... Basketweave floor tile pattern, similar to the remodeled hotel room bathrooms...
Was sad to see the cloth towels gone, hated the new floor though. As you say the same pattern was in the rooms and while i found it fine there it almost made me dizzy in the club. Maybe it was the higher contrast in colors and much bigger floor area? (Also, you got a great pic of the patio! Just really looks nice!)

Excited to be going for the first time end of august. Will all the rooms be renovated by then? How is the restaurant on site or should we be looking at eating off site. We will be there for 6 nights. Is this resort large like some of the WDW ones, is there long hallways?

ohmygosh that's ridiculous. They are in desperate need of the mobile check-in CMs I've seen at WDW, but they'd need a system to get people their keys printed. Are lines shorter other days? We're staying non-CL on our upcoming trip and planned on checking in on a Mon at like 6:30am as I didn't think there would be much of a line for check-in...
You will be fine, I have checked in at 6:30AM several times and there has never been a line.

GCH might want to have CM interact with guests during check-in, which slows the process. Short lines (under 10 groups) are quite common, which seems acceptable. The long lines (of several dozen groups) needs some sort of "express" check-in process.

Club Level guests avoid the line and check-in on the 6th floor.

Was sad to see the cloth towels gone, hated the new floor though. As you say the same pattern was in the rooms and while i found it fine there it almost made me dizzy in the club. Maybe it was the higher contrast in colors and much bigger floor area?
The small square tiles in the basketweave pattern are black (or dark brown) to match the woodwork, while in the rooms those are light brown to match adjacent light wood flooring.

A "border and field" design, with large tiles around the walls and basketweave in the center would be much more attractive. It makes sense to avoid the extra cost on 1000 guest room restrooms, but it would be minimal expense for the lounge.

Excited to be going for the first time end of august. Will all the rooms be renovated by then? How is the restaurant on site or should we be looking at eating off site. We will be there for 6 nights. Is this resort large like some of the WDW ones, is there long hallways?
All your questions are answered earlier in this thread, but I understand not wanting to read 260 pages :goodvibes
So quick answers:

All rooms have been renovated.

Several restaurants within GCH (and easy access to DTD)
  • Napa Rose, top restaurant in DLR
  • Storytellers, morning character breakfast and regular lunch and dinner
  • Whitewater Snacks, counter service
  • Hearthstone Lounge, bar food
  • 24-hour room service
There are some long hallways. There are "only" 1000 rooms, but GCH is limited to 6 stories (many areas are only 5) -- so the hotel is spread out.
My usual room request is: "Near the elevators adjacent to Napa Rose"

All your questions are answered earlier in this thread, but I understand not wanting to read 260 pages :goodvibes
So quick answers:

All rooms have been renovated.

Several restaurants within GCH (and easy access to DTD)
  • Napa Rose, top restaurant in DLR
  • Storytellers, morning character breakfast and regular lunch and dinner
  • Whitewater Snacks, counter service
  • Hearthstone Lounge, bar food
  • 24-hour room service
There are some long hallways. There are "only" 1000 rooms, but GCH is limited to 6 stories (many areas are only 5) -- so the hotel is spread out.
My usual room request is: "Near the elevators adjacent to Napa Rose"
Thank you , yes 260 pages is a lot and only went back 10. We have stayed at AKL with the long hallways, so this doesnt sound too bad. Hey its only 1000 rooms.:rolleyes2
will check out the resturants. I am sure there are some decent ones in Downtown Disney and close by. This is a totally different type of planning then WDW.:hyper2:

If you're thinking "on site" like WDW you will definitely be surprised by the proximity of Disneyland Resort. Everything is pretty much "onsite". While the three restaurants on site in the GCH are the closest, you don't have to go far at all for DTD where there are many more restaurants. I don't know what kind of dining you are into (fine, grab and go, or somewhere inbetween) but there are a ton of restaurants that fit the bill for anything you want. Now certainly if you want to save money you can always go offsite and you can certainly find less expensive meals within walking distance of the resort. But when WDW vets come to DL and ask how many days it takes to experience everything at DL, most people say 3-4 days, but really the one thing I say is that there is rarely enough time to experience all the great food there is to offer. I'm a local and still I don't get to experience all the great food that there is on offer!

If you're thinking "on site" like WDW you will definitely be surprised by the proximity of Disneyland Resort. Everything is pretty much "onsite". While the three restaurants on site in the GCH are the closest, you don't have to go far at all for DTD where there are many more restaurants. I don't know what kind of dining you are into (fine, grab and go, or somewhere inbetween) but there are a ton of restaurants that fit the bill for anything you want. Now certainly if you want to save money you can always go offsite and you can certainly find less expensive meals within walking distance of the resort. But when WDW vets come to DL and ask how many days it takes to experience everything at DL, most people say 3-4 days, but really the one thing I say is that there is rarely enough time to experience all the great food there is to offer. I'm a local and still I don't get to experience all the great food that there is on offer!
Thanks we are staying 6 nights at VGC. We will have 5 day parkhoppers. Just learning about the West coast experience now. We have been to WDW many times, want to see the original.

I would love to hear about all of your experiences with the Downtown Disney security checkpoint. There are a couple of horror stories that it can take up to 45 minutes to go through on EE days. How long is the wait on average? I will be staying at the Grand in April and just want to be prepared. With only two check points I am fearing that the wait might be longer.

I would love to hear about all of your experiences with the Downtown Disney security checkpoint. There are a couple of horror stories that it can take up to 45 minutes to go through on EE days.
I have not encountered any long lines at the DTD security checkpoint from GCH. Occasionally a 5-minute wait, but never 45.
The DCA entrance during EMH usually has a long line and has long waits, but after opening there is seldom a wait there either.

The DTD checkpoint opens early (5AM?) to allow access to Starbucks, which helps prevent a long backup.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter